Leonard in the Aussie limelight

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:09 am

Hi Bobbie,

Yes, LA would be great! It would give some of us in N.A. (who missed New York) another chance. Australia sounded like a lot of fun.

On Nick Cave, another embarrassing miss on my behalf. I'd never heard Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah and I've not heard Nick Cave either. Well, at least I'm starting to learn who I might want to listen to in future. As I really don't know much about Cave, I'm glad you mentioned the fact that he uses notes/lead sheets or whatever. Otherwise, I might also have thought, well I don't know what I would have thought. It's just nice to know that this is just how he does things. Differently. Which is fine.

See ya.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:10 am

People also attacked Nick Cave for having the paper with Suzanne's lyrics in Brooklyn. But on audience tape I got you can clearly see how everybody has lyrics in front of them, on that banister of whatever it is, you know what I mean, for sheet and notes which usually stays in front of musician on stage. He only tooked Suzanne from it. At least Teddy Thompson watched his also while he sung The Future. With Nick it's only strange because it can seem like lack of respect when he asks for it and then hold it in hand while he sings. But anyway, I didn't get impression he need the sheet for Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On :wink:

Ah, Handsome family. I pick up Singing Bones after I heard them on Brooklyn tape. They're really great.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:15 am

Linda, I'd recommend Nick's albums Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part 8)
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:20 pm

I recommend the same two Nick Cave cds. as well... they are his best. I think it's a tribute of sorts to Leonard that they all had to have the lyrics in front of them... thanks for that information, Tom.. I hadn't noticed it in Brooklyn, apart from Nick, that is. Leonard isn't exactly a lightweight in the lyrics department - it wouldn't be like singing "Puppy Love" by Paul Anka or something... :-)
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:28 pm

Thank you both for the recommendations. I will definitely track them down.

I think you're right, Bobbie. Leonard's lyrics aren't lighweight at all. It takes many listens to get the words down right - not to mention the timing and all the rest of the things musicians must worry about.

Linda
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:26 pm

In support of Bobbie's position, I don't think it was important for the performers to know the lyrics off by heart - they are presumably very busy people and had already invested a great deal of their time in this project of Hal's. I would have been guilty of the same strategy I'm sure (and perhaps better this than stumbling along with the wrong words or leaving conspicuous gaps)! :wink:

Anyway, it certainly didn't phase me at all when Nick asked for the words - if anything it was a rather amusing moment in proceedings, adding to the natural relaxed feeling of the whole show. :D 8)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:38 pm

If I may be so bold as to add:

I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes.
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:20 pm

Good points, Andrew.... and I'm so glad you were able to go. Did you meet up with Ania while you were there, or any other Cohenists?
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:22 pm

Oops.. forgot to mention. Linda, I think there's a possibility of an LA show at some point.. hope to see you there!
linda_lakeside

Postby linda_lakeside » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:23 pm

You're kidding me!!!! If there's an LA show, I'll be the first one there. And the last one to leave.
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:25 pm

Bobbie wrote:Good points, Andrew.... and I'm so glad you were able to go. Did you meet up with Ania while you were there, or any other Cohenists?
Bobbie, I didn't see Ania - the last information I had was that she hadn't been able to get a ticket and was very distressed about it. :(

However, I did see Arthur & Bernadette (from Brisbane) - you would remember them from the Hydra & New York events. I also caught up with some of my other Toowoomba Cohen event friends, as well as two of the young performers from our last event (who live down that way). :D

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Bobbie

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:05 pm

Ohhhhh...

Hi again, Andrew... I'm sorry to hear that Ania wasn't able to attend.. for some reason I thought I read on the LC NG that she had been there... I must be thinking of something else. But great that you saw Arthur and Bernadette... very nice couple! Sounds like you had a really good time. I hope there really will be another show in LA.. would definitely try to go. It's the only way we get to see L's wonderful songs performed on such a grand scale anymore... I mean, apart from our own events, which are quite grand, as well. :-)

B

Return to “News”