Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
uncleerwinone

Re: Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by uncleerwinone »

Lizzy,

This is a moving tribute you wrote in Arlene’s memory. I have followed the forum for several years, since we have a common friend, when I realized that I also had become a loyal follower of Arlene’s blog. I was always looking forward to what she wrote. By sharing her experiences she allowed me to take part in her adventures without having to leave my home. But her contributions to the Leonard Cohen community went far beyond her postings and blog. She was a driving force and her passing left a void that can already be felt.

When I think of Arlene, something she wrote comes to my mind, something that made me smile when I first read it. It still does. It was her realization that Leonard Cohen did not belong to her but to the world. Thank you, Arlene, for sharing the love.

My heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

Ruth
silverbar

Post by silverbar »

I am also saddened by this news...I met Arlene only once, in Nashville, where we shared a meal with a group from this forum and then attended the concert the next evening. I had the great good luck to sit next to her at dinner and talk to her for a couple hours, and she was everything that has already been posted. It is a rare week when I don't think of that evening and smile.

Condolences to her family.
Chicago 2009 : Nashville 2009 : Louisville 2013
Elsie

Post by Elsie »

RIP Arlene. You touched my heart.
SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon »

I never met Arlene nor did I ever talk or write to her. However, I've been following this forum for quite a while now and always noticed these postings that ended in "---Arlene". I always liked to read what she had to tell us and watch her videos, especially the one of the Joan Of Arc Tour debut that I have saved on my PC.

Rest in peace Arlene.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm not sure if the April 1st deadline related to the beginning of the day or to the end of it. So, if this message isn't timely enough to be included in the book for Arlene's family, at least they'll hopefully read it at some point.

It's from Julie Christensen [two messages blended], one of Leonard's lovely, former back-up singers and singer-songwriter-musician in her own right:

"Thanks, Lizzy. . . . I didn't see that Arlene had passed. Will visit and post. Thank you! Julie
. . .
"I'm sorry I haven't been able to do that, Lizzy. . . . have just driven out to the desert for a gig. Working on just my phone, so have not had the chance. Please, if you'd like, post on my behalf that I'm sorry to hear the news. And I will post when I can."

Arlene was well known and highly thought of throughout the Leonard Cohen community.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dari

Post by dari »

I read this when it was first posted and I have been at a loss for words.
My condolences to Arlene's family and friends.
I was very sorry and sad to hear this news.

I didn't really know Arlene except that when 2012 concert tour began, I truly enjoyed reading her posts and seeing her videos. At the time I asked her what kind of camera she was using and she was kind and thoughtful enough to send me a private message to tell me. She also said that if I needed anymore help, to just ask. This was very kind and gracious of her, me being a stranger.

I have read through all of the beautiful thoughts and posts about her in the forum and I dearly loved the story about her hiding a camera in her stockings to be able to get it into one of venues.
I wish I had known her better.

Kind Regards,
Dari
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Five weeks flew by in a nutshell; quite hard to believe..
As promised, here are the details about Arlene's memorial in Toronto:

When: Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:30 a.m.
Where: Adath Israel Congregation, Jacob Ulrich Hall, 37 Southbourne Avenue, Toronto

It will be followed by a reception nearby, please contact me if you plan on going, I'll email you the details.

I'd like to use this opportunity to thank everyone on behalf of Arlene's family.
Your messages on these pages meant the world to them, far beyond words can describe.

Greetings from Tel Aviv,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Sharon for the update. Yes it is hard to believe 5 weeks has gone by.
In appreciation for all you and Marie Mazur are doing to honour Arlene's memory.
She won't be forgotten by all of us whose lives she touched.
Thanks again
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Sharon ~

Thank you so much for relaying the overview of Arlene's family's sentiments to us.

Thank you, too, for sharing the information for her memorial in Toronto. I wish I could be there, but it's impossible. My spirit and heart will be in full attendance, and I'm confident that it will be beautiful and loving. Hopefully, someone will take photos that they can share with us afterward.

Thank you from me, too, to both you and Marie for how you took the lead to make fitting memorials from us for Arlene happen.

Love,
Lizzy xxx
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

It's a huge shock for me,with Arlene I have not met personally, but I had it in high esteem,because it was a great personality of this forum. I appreciated her for her dedication Leonard fan, for her report and photos that are introduced.

Sincere condolences to the family.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for sharing with us Arlene's memorial information. I've contacted you via email and as you know, I will be there if it is possible. Heartfelt thanks to you and Marie for gathering us all together to honor her memory. Arlene was an integral part of the forum....her love for Leonard always most important....but a close second was her love and joy in sharing memories with all of us.

I will always hold her in my heart.
seadove

Post by seadove »

I am sorry to hear about Arlene. May her soul rest in peace.

Return to “News”