Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
IrishMar

Re: Sad news: Arlene Dick has passed away

Post by IrishMar »

I was so very sad to hear the news today. Arlene will be greatly missed in this Community.
Her fighting spirit was amazing throughout her illness. She told me recently her many LC memories
sustained her through the rough times. This is one of her own videos and it was very special to her indeed;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9L7uS7RcXQ

RIP Dear Arlene.

Deepest sympathy to Son Leonard and family.

Mar
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Garcia Lorca

Post by Garcia Lorca »

Dear Arlene,

I will never forget your funny emails where you told me. SonLeonard was a little upset with you because of your" intensive Leonard's extracurricular activities".

Thank you for all that you gave us.

May you rest in peace sweet Arlene.

We will miss you and won't never forget you.
" The instructions were never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty."
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Such sad news! We will miss her very much. I am so happy that we were able to see each other in Austin last fall. Love and sympathy to her family. Rest in peace, Arlene.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Actually

Post by Actually »

Rock on, Arlene! I'm glad I met you in person.
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

Dear, Dear Arlene,
I sent you an email last night - not knowing ... I hope somewhere in the mystery that surrounds us, you at least received the sentiments ... Love and blessings.
Your last email to me 4 days ago read simply "still in Cedars - struggling." Now your struggle is over - Rest in Peace Dear Friend.
-Judy
Jazz
Vlastik

Post by Vlastik »

This is indeed truly sad news. I woke up this morning quite happy after Chicago concert and then read this. Memories started to flow in. One of the brightest from warm, sunny day in Krakow. Arlene, Jarmila, girl, Irene, I stole from train and me on the cart driving around the town. Somewhat naturally, Jarmila and me switched to Czech language. Then came warning voice from the seat next to driver: "Speak English, I don't understand you!" No need to say we obliged immediately, no need for her to use her walking stick to restore the order:). I would be so touched if Leonard could do "Joan of Arc" tomorrow in Milwaukee to remember her. Rest in peace, our reporter, great, great lady and, above all, good friend. Vlasta
Conny

Post by Conny »

Rest in peace, Arlene... like Dolores you won't be forgotten.
Your face at the concerts, your comments, pictures and videos, your special kind of being part of this community...
Conny
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam
sleep

Post by sleep »

Happy trails Arlene, until we meet again.
Happy trails Arlene, keep smilin' until then.
mutti

Post by mutti »

I am so sad to hear the news about Arlene. Its hard to put in words how I feel...
She was such a strong and fiercely independent woman. This community will miss you Arlene...your blog, your photos, your videos and you.
I will miss you as you taught me by example how to live life to its fullest even in the most difficult times. I still recall the conversations we would have when I was undecided about doing something or other.
You would tell me "Go for it, as its later than you think".

You showed me in so many ways that your love of your family was the most important thing in your life.
My condolences to son Leonard and all of your family. Your granddaughters gave you so much pleasure and you always spoke of them with such love.
You will never be forgotten Arlene.
May her memory be for a blessing.
Leslie
Last edited by mutti on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Yes, Arlne captured our hearts - a symbol of dogged determination - and for those of us fortunate enough to have heard from Arlene in private PMs, her compliments were pure and gracious - I recall when I characterized one of her comments as worthy of the United Hearts Society, where all gathered "for a decent intention ", she responded that she had tears in her eyes, that Leonard would have called me "kind" - doesn't get better than that!

R.I. P.

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Rock Chick

Post by Rock Chick »

Very sad to hear this news. I was lucky enough to meet dear Arlene a couple of times at concerts in the US, the first time being in Las Vegas in 2009. She was really sweet and kind to me. I loved her scrapbook and reports - I loved her enthusiasm and real love for Leonard. I'll miss her. Rest in Peace Arlene - and my sincere condolences to son Leonard and family. xxx
Violet

Post by Violet »

I am so shocked and saddened to hear this news. Arlene was such a presence here, and she will truly be missed.

.. my thoughts and condolences go to her family at this time,

v. x
Violet
martali

Post by martali »

Sleep sweet Dear Arlene and let's meet again in the better world one day!

I'll treasure all your lovely words and precious gifts for ever

My best thoughts of compassion go to your son Leonard, his wife and your wonderful granddaughters you were so proud and loved so much

Marta Liwska
Thank you so much my wonderful friend, had eyes full of tears...
Thank you so much my wonderful friend, had eyes full of tears...
Last edited by martali on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
holydove

Post by holydove »

I'm so very sad & shocked to hear this news. I was fortunate enough to meet Arlene in person, in Nashville 2009 & Gothenberg 2010. We later exchanged several emails, information & various precious items. I was very touched by her kind & welcoming presence, & I was also very impressed by her strength, courage, & generosity. I am grateful that our love for Leonard brought us together, & glad that she lived a full & rich life, & that she had some very wonderful moments with Leonard & the band. Arlene was a very unique & loving person, & I will always remember the moments that we shared.

Arlene, may peace & joy be your constant companions in your new journeys, wherever they may be. You will be dearly missed & never forgotten.
Sweetannie33

Post by Sweetannie33 »

I am so sad to hear this . Leonard left the stage early last nite and now this seems oddly appropriate , a part of me wants to bring a rosé to set in the front row . Since I always remember her bringing him one .

Return to “News”