BBC Radio Scotland - Leonard Cohen Special,1st Jan 2013

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Sqezekid

Re: BBC Radio Scotland - Leonard Cohen Special,1st Jan 2013

Post by Sqezekid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 pm

leonardthecat wrote:
It was a 55 minute radio programme for Christ's sake! Not a big in depth meaning of life and death discussion.
Well said, leonardthecat!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:11 pm

leonardthecat - these programmes are few and far between, so it it important that they are done as well as possible. It is also important to give proper criticism, especially if they are still feeding the public with the "depression and razor blade" lines, forty years on. The hope is that the BBC might at least take note of what is said on sites such as this, even if they have turned a blind-eye to more serious matters over the past forty years.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Well I think by far the best part has been the discussion of the programme but once again, certain people do like to come on to tell others how they should post on a thread.
leonardthecat
It was a 55 minute radio programme for Christ's sake! Not a big in depth meaning of life and death discussion. Get over it.
leonardthecat, as a certain Bill Shankly once said "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that" so perhaps the same goes for discussions on your namesake. :lol:
I so need the "Like" button.
Wendy

Get over it, there isn't one

And to end, we all know that LC went to Mt Baldy to study, well here's one for you:

It is better to spend one day contemplating the birth and death of all things than a hundred years never contemplating beginnings and endings.

There you go, we spent over a day, extra kudos n'est ce pas?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
HelenD

Post by HelenD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

I agree with Wendy - I keep looking for the 'Like' button
Sqezekid

Post by Sqezekid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm

At the end of the day, this was a Regional BBC Radio programme which most people on here would have missed if leonardthecat had not brought it to our attention.
Even if it alerted only a few people to Leonard's existence, that has to be a good thing. Or are some people on the Forum so full of their own self importance that they don't want any new "fans" to be introduced to Leonard's work? Just because there was nothing new for you, doesn't mean that this wasn't an interesting and important programme for those who may not have the knowledge that those on here apparently do.
What is wrong with mentioning the depressive quotes and the razor blades? I certainly heard comments like that in the early days - why re-write history? It puts it all into perspective and why try to hide it from new admirers of his work?
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 pm

Blimey Sqezekid,

I don't think anyone was full of their own importance were they? Maybe giving an opinion, just as you have. Why wouldn't anyone want new fans to come on the scene, if it was just us old lot from the stone age, their wouldn't be enough to fill one night at the RAH :lol:

So keep on coming you newbies and all you reborn again Cohenites, without you there would probably not even be a tour, so muchos gracios to you all. ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
leonardthecat

Post by leonardthecat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm

So keep on coming you newbies and all you reborn again Cohenites, without you there would probably not even be a tour, so muchos gracios to you all. ;-)[/quote]

I've no idea where you get the idea that some people are 'newbies, 'born again Cohenites' or 'Hallelujah Harpies'. I don't like the name calling and putting people in their place. I only posted the link as I thought some people might not have got the chance to hear the programme.
Sqezekid

Post by Sqezekid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 am

Exactly, leonardthecat - you posted something that others wouldn't have been aware of otherwise. The name calling is totally uncalled for - and I, for one, am grateful that you did post the link.
I hope the criticism doesn't put you off from sharing things in the future!
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 am

Whether this is new or old info for me, I enjoyed listening to it. Thank you leonardthecat.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:03 am

leonardthecat wrote:
I've no idea where you get the idea that some people are 'newbies, 'born again Cohenites' or 'Hallelujah Harpies'. I don't like the name calling and putting people in their place. I only posted the link as I thought some people might not have got the chance to hear the programme.
Irony doesn't ride too well on some people on the forum, goodness me, Christmas must have been a right blast for some :lol: The link was good but I think you are taking all this rather too seriously :(
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:10 am

Sqezekid wrote:Exactly, leonardthecat - you posted something that others wouldn't have been aware of otherwise. The name calling is totally uncalled for - and I, for one, am grateful that you did post the link.
I hope the criticism doesn't put you off from sharing things in the future!
Name calling, really? Well I can't see anyone being called names, you must point them out please. And no one criticised leonardthecat, it was about the link, so no reason to shoot the messenger!

There was a link, it was a good link, enjoyable to listen to, then we disussed this and that in a very light hearted way, then we have those who want to be rather too serious about nothing. I really do not see what the problems are that some of you have on this thread, you have taken it far too seriously, well in my opinion. Lighten up, I can't see yer man not having a crack about such a light subject ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 am

Yes Leonardthecat, I also liked the program. It was a pleasant way to spend 55 minutes of a Saturday morning.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm

It was a swell programme I thought. A great snapshot. :)

I loved Sylvie Simmons' biography, steeped in affection and learned insight.
In case anyone might be interested, here's my review of the book:

http://alexisdimyan.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -your-man/
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 pm

Very good piece of writing, comehealing! I particularly like the last paragraph, which sums up Leonard very well , and where you say "Simmons has unshackled Cohen from “banal” stereotypes that have attached themselves to Cohen over the years, like hackneyed labels which have become threadbare through repetition, and presented a rounded portrait". It's a pity she didn't get a chance to do this fully on the radio, even though I'm sure she did her best (my own review of her book is on amazon.co.uk).

All good things, John E
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for your kind words!

Good to hear too that you managed to track down that quote where Leonard makes the connection behind language and survival - just been scanning back through the thread (hadn't checked forum for a few days) :)
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)

Return to “News”