Leonard Cohen, contender for Nobel Prize for Literature?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lightasabreeze

Re: Leonard Cohen, contender for Nobel Prize for Literature?

Post by lightasabreeze » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Cate wrote:Hi thanks Lightasabreeze and Cohenadmirer,

I actually meant the book of poetry mentioned in the article - 'Tarantula'. I guess it was an underground book of Bob Dylans poems written int the late 60's and then published in 1971. I ordered a copy through Abes Books. A book of lyrics would be excellent for someone a little more familiar with his songs. I agree Cohenadmirer, a song lyric is not a poem. A lyric is married to its music and is meant to be heard with the music.
The book Tarantula you speak of is available on Amazon uk, if anyone wanted to know.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:52 pm

SylviaB wrote:As I understand "the Swedish Academy, sends out letters to individuals and organizations qualified to nominate candidates. The right to submit proposals, based on the principle of competence and universality, is enjoyed by: members of the Swedish Academy and other national academies of similar construction and purpose; university professors of literature and linguistics; previous Literature Laureates; and presidents of national author societies" this are pre-chosen institutions, bodies and professors.

Well, how about to write a qualified letter to the swedish academy, what is not like a "fan-letter", but rather via a previous literature laureate or another national academie. Don t we have such qualified people here in the forum? I could search in my list of friends and aquaintances and I am very sure I find supporters with "qualified names".

Actually, I heard, that once Leonard have been nominated (but this is hearsay)
A very good idea Sylvia - if you have people in your list who would meet the nominating qualifications and would go to the bother - or anyone else here at the forum.

After all - in order for Leonard to be even considered, someone would first have to nominate him.

And after all, again, he has been gracing Swedish venues, amazingly, going back to at least 1972? And as recently as this past August (in Gothenburg).
40+ years long!
Not to mention many other parts of the globe.

Linda
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Wouldn't it be fantastic if Leonard could get nominated again?

Really believe his body of work meets the criteria of universality, competence and
significance. Unquestionably, his global reach is greater than ever since going
back on the road.

Shame it's not a popular vote :)
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
Cate

Post by Cate » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Unquestionably, his global reach is greater than ever since going
back on the road.
Yes absolutely and the 'newer' fans are of such varied age group. I bet many, curious about Leonard other works will check out his poetry and novels and that in turn might lead to other poets or experimental writers. I feel a bit like I've come from the other direction and that discovering Leonards music has lead me to discover other singers/musicians that I never would have been exposed to if not through him (and often this forum).

slightly off topic but here is a piece from a radio conversation today on Writers and Company regarding Leonard's novels

starts at ~ 25:00 minutes in and is ~12 minutes long

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/ID/22818 ... MostRecent
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:57 am

Oh fab Cate, thanks for sharing :)

Will play this later, hope will be able to listen in the UK
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
SylviaB

Post by SylviaB » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:56 pm

thank for encouragement, Linda - I will check with my writer (and profs for literature) friends how we could at least convince, write sophisticatedly to one of the people, who are nominating and suggesting. Personally I think, Leonards 80st birthday would be a good occasion and so "we" would have a year time approximately. I will post here, what they tell me.
Sylvia
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Twitter alerted me to a couple of articles today which I post below. These are translated from Italian by Google. It seems like the bottom line is that a songwriter has never been seriously considered for official nomination but the rumor is that this year that might change. Roberta Flack is an Italian singer and writer and his name has entered the mix along with Dylan and Leonard. Official nominations are released in October and the winner announced in December.
Nobel Prize for Literature, 2013, Roberta Flack, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen as songwriters candidates (VIDEO)
Ilaria Betti, The Huffington Post | Posted: 20/09/2013

If the songs are poems, why not assign to them a real recognition? This year, for the first time, the Nobel Prize for Literature may be delivered to a songwriter. And among the names of possible eligible candidates, along with Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen, check here an Italian Roberta Flack.

The award given "to the author or the author of a literary work considerably more inspiring idealist" will be delivered by the Swedish Academy on December 10. But who will pick it up? The nomination of Roberta Flack , along with those of the great masters like Dylan and Cohen, it was a surprise to many.

On Twitter already many users are wondering "Why him and not another? Francesco De Gregori Why not?" Others even think that the news is a "hoax" is so hard to believe. Still others have used the hashtag # dismay comment on the fact. But for the Swedish Academy, Flack would have all the cards in order to receive the award. Not only for the lyrics of his (two hundred) songs, which have been carefully examined. But also for its commitment in the field of literature . Literature teacher for most of his life, Flack has dedicated himself to writing: stories, children's books and especially the publication of two novels: "The Bookseller of Senilunte" and "Check of God."

What, however, of the other two songwriters "challenging"? Bob Dylan, author of famous songs like "Knockin 'on heaven's door" and "Blowin' in the Wind", for more than 15 years Prize nominee . Every year it seems to have the potential right to receive the recognition, saw the value of its social and literary texts, but then did not get.

Also nominated for the Canadian Leonard Cohen, the author of the poignant "Halleluja". But Cohen is not just a singer : he began to write poetry long before I wrote songs and his career went from there, from the literature. The first published albums, in fact, were not music albums but albums reading, poetry recorded. Together with collections of poems and novels, also began to appear the first songs that, though, at the beginning were not successful due to the character "introverted" author. Cohen could not sing, he was shy, so operators of the recording studio had furnished the study so that resembled his bedroom, and he felt more at ease.

Anyone who will be the winner, it is a historic turning point for the world of music for the first time prepares to enter the literary Olympus. Andrea Laffranchi in Corriere della Sera today remembers what has been the long journey that brought the lyrics of songs to be considered real literature. "Although Italo Calvino, Roberto Roversi, Alberto Moravia and other men of letters gave the verses to the song popular, only volumes at the turn of the '80s and '90s anthologies have begun to accommodate the lyrics to songs, inserting De André" , writes journalist. He continues: "The intellectual world has always looked with suspicion on the song, as if it were a poem of series B". Will now have to think again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2013/09/20 ... _hp_ref=tw
Nobel Prize in Literature, 2013: candidates Flack, Dylan and Cohen?
Melodica Mente
Chiara B
20 September 2013

Simple rumors, but that are shaking the whole world of music. Unconfirmed reports coming from unidentified would like Roberta Flack, Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan candidates for the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2013 . Like every year, in the month of September 2012, the Swedish Academy has sent 259 invitations, alias award nominations most prestigious and coveted in the world , so important that the mere fact of being deemed eligible candidates to win it fits the person concerned directly in the Olympus of the gods contemporary. For several hours the web was a rumor that to receive such notices have been three songwriters who, in fact, Flack, Dylan (whose name is found every year at this time alongside that of the Nobel Prize) and Cohen. If so, in addition to the staff of these artists, it would be a real consecration of music, particularly the songwriting, a literary genre "noble".

No security regarding the accuracy of this news leaked , the rules governing the event that accompanies the delivery of the Nobel Prize are very strict about. Candidates may be proposed only by particular types of people (belonging to the Academy or similar associations, other Nobel winners, university professors), but regulation to hand the names of the candidates, who proposed them, the mechanisms of voting and choice can not be released for 50 years. So much so that in the official website of the award is possible to see the nominations for each category, only the years up to 1962, from '63 to now the darkness. To get official confirmation or denial, then, we will have to wait quite a while 'time.

A year after provision of the nominations, the Swedish Academy is going to decide these days who will be awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature 2013. The response will come in October at a date yet to be determined, and then the winner to be celebrated on December 10. And who knows that the road to Stockholm is not really open to the world of music.

http://www.melodicamente.com/premio-nob ... ard-cohen/
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:12 am

Thanks for sharing Marie. Much appreciated.

Dr.Bob and Leonard as joint nominees/ winners would do just nicely thank you.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
johnnyquadrio

Post by johnnyquadrio » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 am

Cohen's lyrics are classical and timeless. They're about all of us and none of us. Everywhere and nowhere.

Dylan's lyrics, whilst cinematic, are mostly set in a space and time that limits them to the here and now.

Cohen, without doubt, should receive the prize. And it's long overdue.

Johnny Q
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:18 am

Google translate strikes again! :lol: The other author is Roberto Vecchioni (which Google translated as Roberta Flack). THIS Roberta Flack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Flack was probably pretty excited for a minute...if the rumors reached her. :lol:

Anyway, exciting, wonderful news. I hope this happens! And of course it is also one of those things where "It's an honor just to be nominated." (and it's about time!)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Zimmy66 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:22 am

johnnyquadrio wrote:
Dylan's lyrics, whilst cinematic, are mostly set in a space and time that limits them to the here and now.

Johnny Q
What utter pretentious tosh.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 am

mnkyface wrote:Google translate strikes again! :lol: The other author is Roberto Vecchioni (which Google translated as Roberta Flack). THIS Roberta Flack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Flack was probably pretty excited for a minute...if the rumors reached her. :lol:

Anyway, exciting, wonderful news. I hope this happens! And of course it is also one of those things where "It's an honor just to be nominated." (and it's about time!)
Nice one Mnkyface.

I did wonder.

Killing me softly. :roll:

Robert
musicmania

Post by musicmania » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:25 am

mnkyface wrote:Google translate strikes again! :lol: The other author is Roberto Vecchioni (which Google translated as Roberta Flack). THIS Roberta Flack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Flack was probably pretty excited for a minute...if the rumors reached her. :lol:

Ok so I am not losing my mind as was thinking to myself "Isn't Roberta Flack a woman" :lol:

Fingers crossed for Leonard. He deserves this not only for his songs and poetry but also for his novels and especially Beautiful Losers!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:26 am

mnkyface wrote:Google translate strikes again! The other author is Roberto Vecchioni (which Google translated as Roberta Flack). THIS Roberta Flack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ was probably pretty excited for a minute...if the rumors reached her.

LOL! Thank you for the clarification. I was so excited about Leonard's possible nomination, I forgot to go back and figure out who "Roberta Flack" was.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:04 am

This is wonderful. Thanks Marie! What exciting news! (And hey - via Twitter. :lol: )

(Roberta Flack - she has done some very nice covers of Leonard's songs.)

Return to “News”