LA Times court case report

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sanneka

Re: LA Times court case report

Post by sanneka »

I too was one of the "lucky ones" who received hundreds of abusive E-mails from KL. It all started with a very innocent, but positive comment (from me) to a newspaper review of a Leonard Cohen concert. It escalated in volume and lasted for 2-3 years with threats of almost anything, death. I forwarded all the mails to Mr. Kory. I just hope Kelley will now get the help she so desperately needs.
Susanne
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I wasn't going to say any more about this, as I'm reluctant to discuss anything online that relates to a legal matter. However, having read the other posts here, I should add that I found it helped to be as nice as possible to Kelley. I received a few e-mails from her that were highly critical of Leonard, and which I thought were inappropriately sent to me. I could see where she was coming from, though (hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, as they say!). The reason I received the e-mails was because I had mentioned on the Forum that Kelley had been accused of syphoning-off Leonard's money. I told her that I was only referring to something that was already public knowledge (which was true). I said that I had nothing against her personally, and thanked her for her help while she had been running the office. When I was writing an article on Leonard, she had ensured that he received four letters I wrote (which I know he did, because I received replies to each one). She also complimented me on the article, and later arranged for a signed CD to be sent to me, when I forwarded a magazine that Leonard wanted. On receiving the controversial e-mails, I told Kelley that although I had followed Leonard's career since 1968, I had only fleetingly met him once and had no personal knowledge of the issues that had occurred between herself and him. I said I hoped the case could be resolved as quickly and as painlessly as possible, so that all of those concerned could heal any wounds and get on with their lives. After that, the e-mails stopped coming.
Last edited by John Etherington on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

my first knowledge of this story was when somebody posted a message to leonard's newsgroup. he had never been in any sort of trouble before, not even a hint of it, so i thought it was a so-called 'troll' post. leonard cohen involved in a lawsuit? not a chance! i responded in what i believed to be equally tongue-in-cheek, writing negative things about leonard that were intended to be humorous. you cannot imagine the horror of discovering that the lawsuit news was not a joke, that the story was true, a deadly serious affair - and it seemed i was the last person to know about it. even today i cringe when thinking back to that awful undeletable message i posted about a man who is kinder and more forgiving than virtually anyone else in the world. i was angry on kelley lynch, blamed her for putting me in that situation - but it was my own fault.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Michelle Rice, Esq., succeeded today in obtaining a criminal conviction of Kelley Lynch on eight counts of violation of a permanent restraining order and harassment of Leonard Cohen. Lynch has been in custody since her arrest on March 1. Sentencing is scheduled for Tuesday April 17. Leonard personally thanked Michelle for her enormous work in this matter.

Robert Kory
Kory & Rice, LLP
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Geoffrey,

Don't beat yourself up. I do not think Leonard would blame you for the misunderstanding.

best wishes
Marie
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Cheshire gal wrote:Geoffrey,

Don't beat yourself up. I do not think Leonard would blame you for the misunderstanding.

best wishes
Marie
thank you, marie - and you are right. he does not blame. he is an incredible person, so busy, so creative, and yet so tolerating and supportive. not strange that he is loved so much.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you so much, Marie, for passing on that excellent news from Robert Kory. Such a huge relief... I hope the court's ability to ensure Kelley gets mental health treatment is greater than its ability to ensure that Leonard gets the financial judgement levied against Kelley the last time around.

Excellent work, Michelle Rice 8) . I know everyone is relieved and grateful, especially Leonard. I know I am, too. Thanks from me, too, Michelle.

And, Geoffrey... if anyone understands your sense of humour, it's Leonard. He would take your own unfortunate misunderstanding in stride. I can imagine how horrified you were to learn it was for real, as it really is reductio ad absurdum [incorrect spelling, I know :? ].

Thanks, again, Marie. I know you had to be immensely relieved, too, to get that message from Robert 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Lazysuit

Post by Lazysuit »

I've just read through this thread feeling quite disturbed. It's re-assuring to read so many forum members here offer their 'thought-prayers' to a clearly unhappy and unwell woman. And it was a very welcome break of relief to laugh at your mistake Geoffrey. Thank you, your faux pas really emptied a well of disturbance that had gathered in me reading through all this...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Lazysuit wrote:it was a very welcome break of relief to laugh at your mistake Geoffrey. Thank you, your faux pas really emptied a well of disturbance that had gathered in me reading through all this...
well, news that leonard was in trouble with the authorities after never having earlier even had a parking ticket seemed to me to lack credibility. i simply didn't believe it. a bit like the people on the titanic who kept on dancing.

Return to “News”