Bizarre song: "Leonard Cohen R.I.P. (The Song)"

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
remote1

Bizarre song: "Leonard Cohen R.I.P. (The Song)"

Post by remote1 »

I came across this bizarre article and song while searching "Leonard Cohen" in the news this morning. The song can be heard on http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/ ... -the-song/. I guess it's news but... :cry:
Richard McGraw, “Leonard Cohen R.I.P. (The Song)”
By Evan Schlansky December 12th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

“A thought occurred to me that Leonard will not always be around, says New York singer-songwriter Richard McGraw, whose new song,”Leonard Cohen R.I.P. (The Song)” is a preemptive eulogy. “This was sad and disturbing. The song came quickly after that.”

“I’m not sure why I wrote it,” McGraw continues. “It’s strange to feel deeply for someone you don’t know personally. That said, his work and life have had a profound impact on me, much like a parent or any loved one. Maybe I wrote it to be closer to him. Maybe I wrote it as a way to deal with the loss. All of this may seem a little creepy I realize, because he isn’t dead yet.”

McGraw’s song can be found on his fourth album, Popular Music, which you can stream here. The album also finds McGraw covering Lady Gaga, Rick James, The Who, REO Speedwagon and Bob Seger.

“I usually make records then hope they sell,” McGraw explains. “This time I started out with the intentions of selling music. I chose songs that already sell like a Lady Gaga song for example. The problem became, how do I do a Lady Gaga song and still respect myself? What started out as a scheme to make money, later became an art, the art of selling out: aiming for commercial success while staying true to my heart and my aesthetic.”

Leonard Cohen’s new album, Old Ideas, is due in January.
"We are so lightly here"
Tony Crosbie

Re: Bizarre song: "Leonard Cohen R.I.P. (The Song)"

Post by Tony Crosbie »

Bizarre - Full stop.
Last edited by Tony Crosbie on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

Absolutely tasteless!
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

well,

somebody needs to tell the guy he didn't have to write an elegy about lc's death only because he feels strongly about him and thinks of him as an important influence in his life.
instead, richard mcgraw could have joined our forum - almost everybody here wants to be closer to leonard cohen, who is nothing more than a seemingly well-know stranger to them.

i mean, i don't think the song is tasteless, but it's not actually a good one for an eulogy either.
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles »

AWFUL. :(
Heike

Post by Heike »

If you rearrange some of the quotes from the article, you will get:

“This time I started out with the intentions of selling music", "aiming for commercial success". "This was sad and disturbing", "because he isn’t dead yet."

What kind of attitude is this, writing a eulogy for a living person with "R.I.P." in the title?
If Mr. McGraw had any respect for Leonard Cohen, he would write a song about how Leonard influenced his life or something along these lines.
What must Leonard feel like hearing this :( ?!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Eeek! This is even more tacky than people covering "Show Me the Place" the day after its preview.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Creepy
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”