The Complete Columbia Recordings Of Leonard Cohen (2011)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jerry

The Complete Columbia Recordings Of Leonard Cohen (2011)

Postby jerry » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 pm

This box has all of Leonard's albums. Including the live ones such as Live Songs,Field Commnader Cohen,Live In London etc.

http://www.popmarket.com/leonard-cohen- ... s/25975999

http://images.sonymusicdigital.com/auto ... a028f3f2ad
Last edited by jerry on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
jerry

Re: Truly Complete Album Boxset Including The Live Albums

Postby jerry » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Looks like there are now 2 boxsets coming out. The Complete Studio Albums and the Complete Columbia Recordings.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
bigdee

Re: The Complete Columbia Recordings Of Leonard Cohen

Postby bigdee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 am

Just got a chance to get back on the forum and saw the news of the two box sets coming out. I see people already made mention of the fact that the first box set "Complete Studio Albums..." will actually be incomplete come this spring when "Old Ideas" is released. After seeing the title of this second box set "The Complete COLUMBIA RECORDINGS of Leonard Cohen" it leads me to wonder if Sony/Columbia and Leonard may have dissolved their 44 year relationship and that "Old Ideas" may actually become his first album released by a different record company. If that's the case then these box sets will indeed be complete in the context that they are complete in containing all the works Leonard released on Columbia over the years. The change in companies may also help explain the long delay in Leonard announcing the album as finished and it actually coming out. Maybe the delay is to allow time to finalize a deal with the new company and/or also allow time for his current contract with Columbia to expire. Of course I can be wrong all together and it may be on Sony but he requested it be held for release in the spring to tie in with a new tour announcement :D. Jarkko any chance you can confirm if Leonard is still with Sony for the new album?
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 pm

According to http://www.leonardcohen.com, the Complete Colombia Recordings is exclusively available via the website. Follow the link and the box is only available in Canada and the US. It's also expensive - $139.99 + shipping - so I don't think I'll be pre-ordering a copy to collect when we go to Canada next month. The box set available to Europe with the 11 studio recordings to date is much better value at £26.88 (from http://www.amazon.co.uk) and seems a reasonable compromise for someone like me who already has all the albums in at least one format but who likes the idea of having a box set on the shelf.

Wendy
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm

From PRNewsWire -
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 02143.html

17-ALBUM DELUXE BOX SET GATHERS HIS LIFETIME OF STUDIO AND CONCERT RECORDINGS, FROM 1967 TO 2009

MINI-LP REPLICA CD JACKETS HOUSE EVERY ALBUM - FROM HIS COLUMBIA DEBUT SONGS OF LEONARD COHEN (1967) THROUGH 2009's SONGS FROM THE ROAD (CHRONICLE OF 2008-2009 TOURS)

Every album has been remastered from the original analogue master tapes

Limited edition release via http://www.LeonardCohen.com available starting October 11, 2011, through Columbia/Legacy
LEGACY RECORDINGS LOGO Legacy Recordings logo. Division of SONY Music Entertainment. (PRNewsFoto/Legacy Recordings) NEW YORK, NY UNITED STATES

NEW YORK, Sept. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Spanning 42 years of studio and concert albums released from 1967 to 2009, THE COMPLETE ALBUMS COLLECTION box set gathers together a lifetime of recordings from Leonard Cohen. Every album has been remastered from the original analogue master tapes. Cohen celebrates his 77th birthday on September 21, 2011.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20060130/LEGACYLOGO )

THE COMPLETE ALBUMS COLLECTION contains all 17 of Cohen's albums, each in a mini-LP replica CD jacket of the original release. Along with these, a lavish 36-page booklet will include all discographical annotations and recording information, as well as a brilliant 1,300-word essay by Pico Iyer. This limited edition box set is available now for pre-order via http://www.LeonardCohen.com in advance of the October 11th release date through Columbia/Legacy, a division of SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT.

From the 1960s to the '00s, the transcendent beauty of Leonard Cohen unfolds over the course of THE COMPLETE ALBUMS COLLECTION. Individually, the 17 albums in the box set comprise:

SONGS OF LEONARD COHEN (released December 1967);
SONGS FROM A ROOM (April 1969);
SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE (March 1971);
LIVE SONGS (April 1973);
NEW SKIN FOR THE OLD CEREMONY (August 1974);
DEATH OF A LADIES' MAN (November 1977);
RECENT SONGS (September 1979);
VARIOUS POSITIONS (February 1985);
I'M YOUR MAN (February 1988);
THE FUTURE (November 1992);
COHEN LIVE – LEONARD COHEN IN CONCERT (June 1994);
FIELD COMMANDER COHEN: TOUR OF 1979 (February 2001);
TEN NEW SONGS (October 2001);
DEAR HEATHER (October 2004);
LIVE IN LONDON (March 2009);
LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT 1970 (October 2009);
SONGS FROM THE ROAD (October 2009).

"Cohen sits outside every category," writes Iyer, "and throws together high culture and street slang, Buddha and the blues, so you never know what's coming next... He's lived in Nashville, in L.A. (and in the high dark mountains behind L.A. at the Mount Baldy Zen Center) as well as on the carless Greek island of Hydra, known for its donkeys and faraway monasteries. He's inspired filmmakers from Rainer Werner Fassbinder to Oliver Stone and acted as the head of Interpol on Miami Vice. He's written a classic Old Testament book of psalms and sung on Duets with Elton John. Everything you know of him is wrong."

Pico Iyer, who annotated Columbia/Legacy's The Essential Leonard Cohen double-CD collection nearly a decade ago, is a confidante of Cohen, who personally chose him for the job. The Oxford-born and Eton-educated author, essayist, novelist, biographer, and world-renowned travel writer has contributed articles to Conde Nast Traveler, Civilization, the New York Review of Books, Sports Illustrated, and the Times of London. Iyer's books, which have been translated into many languages and published around the world, include Video Night in Kathmandu, The Lady and the Monk, The Global Soul, the novels Cuba and the Night and Abandon.

As Iyer makes clear, Cohen's four decades-plus odyssey at Columbia Records is impossible to categorize or pin down. Prolific and productive, he has shepherded at least three generations of music fans along on his journeys. Sabbaticals and hiatuses have ensued, always marked by album comebacks and concert tours that have left his followers breathless and awestruck.

"You'll meet the earnest troubadour," writes Iyer, "with 'one hand on a hexagram and one hand on a girl' and you'll see the grave old philosopher who could be met on the backstreets of Jerusalem. You'll hear the sound of a soul, alone, raising a cry to the heavens, and that of the silky man of the world accompanied by a chorus of female voices. You'll think you're listening to one of the great ironists of rock 'n' roll -- 'We met when we were almost young' -- and then you'll hear him calling out for surrender."

http://www.legacyrecordings.com
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Pico Iyer, who annotated Columbia/Legacy's The Essential Leonard Cohen double-CD collection nearly a decade ago,
Jeez, time flies. I recall it as it was yesterday when it was released and our anticipation here on the forum.
redangeldragnet

Postby redangeldragnet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Will this be available at Amazon or other shops? Or is it indeed exclusive to leonardcohen.com?
bigdee

Postby bigdee » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:52 am

Looks like Sony just lowered the price on this boxset. I just saw it on the leonardcohen.com website listing for $119.99, down from the $139.99 it was listing for a few days ago. I also just visited the link Jerry listed in this post for popmarket.com and they too lowered the price to $119.99. They are also running a 1 day sale today on a vinyl bundel set of Songs from The Road and Isle of Wight LPs. You get both albums for $39.99 total and free USA shipping too.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
jerry

Postby jerry » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Does anyone know who did the remastering on this set? Remastered doesn't always mean better!
Leonard Cohen
bigdee

Postby bigdee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:46 am

In case anyone out there wants to save some money on this set, I just found a coupon code to save 10% off the cost of it that works on the main Sony Music sales site (popmarket.com) here in the USA. Here's a direct link to the item's page:

Once you add the item to your basket and go to the check-out look for the little window in the total column that says something to the effect of "enter promo/coupon code". In the window type facebook10 and they will take $12 off the cost of the set. I just pre-ordered my copy for a total cost of $114.98 ($119.99-$12discount then add $6.99 shipping). I also tried the code on leonardcohen.com site (myplaydirect.com also run by Sony) but it did not work there, it only seems to work on their popmarket.com site.
Cheers,
Dave
antipodean heart

Postby antipodean heart » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:28 am

bigdee wrote:In case anyone out there wants to save some money on this set, I just found a coupon code to save 10% off the cost of it that works on the main Sony Music sales site (popmarket.com) here in the USA. Here's a direct link to the item's page:

Once you add the item to your basket and go to the check-out look for the little window in the total column that says something to the effect of "enter promo/coupon code". In the window type facebook10 and they will take $12 off the cost of the set. I just pre-ordered my copy for a total cost of $114.98 ($119.99-$12discount then add $6.99 shipping). I also tried the code on leonardcohen.com site (myplaydirect.com also run by Sony) but it did not work there, it only seems to work on their popmarket.com site.
Cheers,
Dave

Thank you Dave for the promo code - it's still working.

Jen
2009 Bowral and Venice | 2010 Ljubljana and LVx2 | 2012 Verona | 2013 Sydney, Townsville and.....|
dick

Postby dick » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:38 pm

They wrote that mine has been shipped...hopefully it arrives today!

Comparing complete set vs studio set, I think the Pico Iyer booklet is only in the complete set.

When I wrote to USA Amazon, they said it was currently not in their inventory, and they could not say for sure when or if it might be.
antipodean heart

Postby antipodean heart » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Mine hasn't shipped yet - not sure how long it'll take to Australia.

This box set will be available in Australia in November - that info was from The Music Shop. Sanity and JB HiFi didn't have it listed as an upcoming release on their systems a week ago.

Jen.
2009 Bowral and Venice | 2010 Ljubljana and LVx2 | 2012 Verona | 2013 Sydney, Townsville and.....|
dick

Postby dick » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:38 am

YIPEE!!!!

Found my package on my front porch when I returned from libary this morning. Now I've got "Lenny in a Box!!"
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:16 pm

According to Croatian and Slovenian Sony distributor, this box-set is website only and will be not available here. But it seems leonardcohen.com says they're not delivering to this part of Europe.

Return to “News”