Time to Say Thank You

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Francy

Re: Time to Say Thank You

Post by Francy »

Warm clapping for Alan :!: :!: :!: :!:
Superbly written! and so true!!

Cheers
Francy
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

There are less than three weeks left to sign the thank you cards to Leonard and the band. Leonard's card has over 360 signatures and over 120 pages. The band members' cards could use more attention. I know many of you are thinking hard exactly how to express your appreciation to Leonard, but in the meantime, please sign some or all of the cards saying thank you to Leonard's exquisite band. You can find all the links here:

http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/card.html

Thank you to all those who have signed already. Many, many heartfelt and touching expressions of love.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

MarieM wrote: The band members' cards could use more attention.
Not surprising, really. Would it not be better to have just ONE band card, addressed to Roscoe Beck as musical director, copies of which could then be given to each band member ? People would probably sign one card more willingly than 8 - individual band members could still be mentioned by name if the signatories wished. As it is, one band member could end up with 2 well wishers, and another with 2,000 - some are more ostentatious than others, ( or younger, more handsome, etc. etc. ! :roll: ) though not necessarily better musicians !
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi TipperaryAnn,

You may be somewhat right, however at this moment all the band members/singers have pretty much the same numbers. It takes so little time. People don't need to think up long messages....sometimes just a simple thank you is enough. Personally I felt slightly intimidated at first but then found once I got started the words just flowed and it didn't take very long at all. Each member of the UHTC has individually, and as a group, given us their all for almost 3 years now and I just feel it's worth the small effort to thank them individually.

Diana
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Well said Lady di,
A card is the most simple yet personal and elegant way to express ones feelings in regard to another. A simple thank you with a signature gives acknowledgement to each individuals contribution. It is true that Roscoe's contribution is very relevant however no recipe is complete without all of the ingredients. The sound of each instrument blending with the angelic voices which embrace our masters lyrics and above all the presence of Leonard are the elements which have completed this magical tour.
Many thanks to Marie Mazur for her effort and dedication to Leonard ,the band, this tour and her wonderful contributions to this community... our community the Leonard Cohen Forum... we are all united by the concept of a community a place to gather together and share our thoughts,ideas,find new friends and give respect and love for Leonard and all which he represents...
donalagata
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

ladydi wrote: at this moment all the band members/singers have pretty much the same numbers.
Yes, you're right Diana, so far so good. Let's hope it stays like that - it would be a pity if anyone felt less appreciated. I suppose most of those who sign one will sign all.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

Hey Alan

That's fantastic. One of the best way, to say "Thank you". I am sure, the UHTC will have some fun, when they will read your perfect lines....

Susanne + Uwe, Switzerland
Zürich 1993 + 2008 / 2009 = Lissabon, Madrid / 2010 = Basel, Strassburg, Stuttgart
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

MarieM....Thank you so much for giving me a place to speak.......Once I started, it was easy...and wonderful...Love abounds...I could write forever about Leonard and the group and what it has meant to me, but, I shall just say thank you and wrap myself up in the warm blanket of love That I have read.......Jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

AlanM........I loved your words....Keep them coming........... Jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Over 500 people have now signed the cards to Leonard thanking him for his memorable concerts. There are only 12 days left to sign the card for Leonard and the band members. Don't miss your chance to tell Leonard just how wonderful this tour has been.

http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/card.html
Marie
Speaking Cohen
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Marie for this thoughtful idea and the opportunity for us to express how we feel in thanking Leonard and thanking the different band members. I didn't know what I was going to say but as others have said, once you start if just flows.
It will be something they can treasure for years to come.
Thank you again!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Would it not be better to have just ONE band card, addressed to Roscoe Beck as musical director, copies of which could then be given to each band member ?
I enjoyed the opportunity to write a separate note individually to members of the troupe.

I had totally different things to say to each one.

And kudos to you, Mod MarieM, for bringing this very worthy project to the Forum.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thank you, Arlene and Leslie, for your kind words and support.

Arlene, I'm glad you appreciated giving the band members a personal message. They have each contributed so much to the pleasure of the last three years.

Leslie, your pm'ing is working! Thank you.

Marie
Marie
Speaking Cohen
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

MarieM wrote:Thank you, Arlene and Leslie, for your kind words and support.

Arlene, I'm glad you appreciated giving the band members a personal message. They have each contributed so much to the pleasure of the last three years.
All very sweet and cosy. Don't forget, though, especially in the light of three cancellations which cost some of us dearly, that we the ticket buyers have also contributed so much - in Euros, dollars, pounds, etc. etc. !
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

TipperaryAnn wrote:All very sweet and cosy. Don't forget, though, especially in the light of three cancellations which cost some of us dearly, that we the ticket buyers have also contributed so much - in Euros, dollars, pounds, etc. etc. !
"Sweet and cozy" - yech. I don't feel that at all but then I suppose I'm part of the "sweet and cozy" bunch. I don't want this thread to head in the same direction as Cambodia but I need to say something here. I'm not sure if you were involved in any of the cancelled concerts or not, and if you did have a ticket to Hawaii or Cambodia, I'm sorry.

I did...Hawaii. In fact, several of the forum members who have posted comments to Marie also had tickets to Hawaii. I also lost out on one ticket completely...Marseille. My initial plans were to attend but within a couple of months of the concert I realized it wasn't feasible. As it was a will-call ticket GDP would not refund it, and my seat remained empty. This I know as friends were seated next to me. Most of us who have commented, and who are participating in the thanks to Leonard and the band, have travelled to Europe more than once and to several concerts in the US and Canada. Yes, it's cost us a LOT of money....and, no, we're not rich. However because others have also been negatively affected by a cancellation does not mean we can not thank Leonard and the band for the joy they've given us over the past 2 1/2 years.

It's optional to participate, and I'm not sure if you have or not; however, if some of us wish to thank Marie and make our comments on this thread which specifically deals with the "thank you" to LC and the band, then I guess I don't understand why someone feels the need to "stir the pot". Negativity is defeating. There are many threads on the Forum where fans can vent their frustrations but it's not necessary to bring it into threads where the tone is positive.

Diana

Return to “News”