Someone on the writing staff of "Fringe" must be a Cohen fan

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Phantom Stranger

Someone on the writing staff of "Fringe" must be a Cohen fan

Post by Phantom Stranger » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 am

I did not see anyone mention this from last week's new episode of Fringe, a television show on Fox in the U.S. The episode, titled "Northwest Passage", featured a female police sheriff who quotes from Leonard's "Anthem" about how the light gets in. The quote was not identical, but it was clearly a reference to Leonard's verse in the song. The sheriff even carried around a pencil with the saying "Find The Crack", as it had a great deal of personal meaning to her. I have seen more references to Leonard's work in the last two years than I have in the last decade. The touring has really raised his profile to a new generation.

From Anthem:

There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
LisaLCFan

Re: Someone on the writing staff of "Fringe" must be a Cohen fan

Post by LisaLCFan » Thu May 13, 2010 4:25 am

I also saw that episode of Fringe, and when that character said what you noted, and I saw the pencil with "Find the Crack" on it, Leonard immediately came to mind, and, of course, Anthem. I loved that, and it clearly had the implication that if one finds the crack, that's how the light gets in. Thanks for mentioning it here!
vern.silver

Re: Someone on the writing staff of "Fringe" must be a Cohen fan

Post by vern.silver » Thu May 13, 2010 8:01 am

I saw that episode as well and debated whether to mention it here.

After dropping her pen and the 'main character' Peter picked it up and read what was witten on the pen - 'Find The Crack' - and commented on how it was an odd slogan for a police force. She replied that it wasn't, then said 'In the darkness there's always a crack. That's how the light gets in.' I half expected to hear 'Anthem' played at some point later or at least some other reference to it later.

Vern
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.

Return to “News”