Judy Collins-Special Place In Her Heart for Leonard, Joni

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
sturgess66

Judy Collins-Special Place In Her Heart for Leonard, Joni

Post by sturgess66 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:10 am

Article from the Canadian Press -
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/entert ... 22427.html
Famed Folk Singer Judy Collins Has Special Place In Her Heart For Leonard, Joni

By: Michael Oliveira,
THE CANADIAN PRESS
1/04/2010 4:08 PM

TORONTO — Throughout her 50 years in music, Judy Collins has covered the songs of her contemporaries — launching careers in the process — and the famed folk singer holds a special place in her heart for Canadians.

She helped introduce the world to Joni Mitchell with her bouncy Grammy-winning rendition of the classic “Both Sides Now,” which predated Mitchell’s own recording, and helped launch Leonard Cohen with a cover of “Suzanne,” one of dozens of his songs she’s reinterpreted.

She covered Gordon Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain” and “Sun, Son (Shining on the Water)” by Kate and Anne McGarrigle and says Canadian music always just struck a chord with her.

“There’s something about these Canadian writers that is just simply so delicious and so appealing to my sensibilities of poetry,” Collins, now 70, said in an interview in Toronto, where she was promoting a new children’s book, “Over the Rainbow.”

“Leonard’s songs, Joni’s songs — there’s a whole album there that I should probably put together and bring up here to remind everybody.”

In 2004 she did release a whole album of Cohen covers, including three new recordings, and praised him for his “spectacular songs.”

“It’s very hard for me to resist singing his songs,” she gushed. “They’re just wonderful, they’re just exactly right for me and for many, many other people.”

And it was Cohen who finally inspired her to write her own songs in the late 1960s.

“First I had been recording folk songs, and then other peoples’ songs for years, and then of course I started recording his songs — which I think contributed to people knowing him and getting his songs out into the world, which worked very well,” she said.

“I kept taking his songs and saying, ’I want to sing that one and that one’ and then he just said, ’Well, did you ever think about writing your own songs?’ And I said, ’Never, never! There’s so many songs out there.’

“But then I sat down and wrote (her first song) ’Since You’ve Asked.”’

In 2008, artists such as Dolly Parton, Joan Baez and Chrissie Hynde released a tribute album to Collins called “Born to the Breed,” which also included Cohen doing a spoken word version of “Since You’ve Asked,” which Collins calls “poetic justice.”

Canadian Rufus Wainwright contributed a cover of Collins’ “Albatross” and she says “he just made it his own, I just adore it.”

“In fact, I like it so much I think I might start to do it with his wonderful cello addition on it, it was so, so, so beautiful. I was thrilled with his rendition of that song and very privileged and honoured that he chose to do it.”

Collins is set to release a new album June 8 called “Paradise” and says it’s one of the few times in her career she’s worked on a project that didn’t have a Canadian connection of some sort.

The cover art was shot by photographer Annie Leibovitz and the album features collaborations with Baez and Stephen Stills.

She had no plans to release a new album but decided to go back to the studio after recording a version of the “Wizard of Oz” classic, “Over the Rainbow” for the children’s book she recently released along with illustrator Eric Puybaret.

Collins says her music philosophy in covering other artists’ songs was always to do something different and never follow the template too closely.

“A song has a life of its own,” she says. “The song has a predetermined life and it goes out into the world . . . and then the wonderful thing is the chemistry that happens.”

15:15ET 01-04-10
B4real

Re: Judy Collins-Special Place In Her Heart for Leonard, Joni

Post by B4real » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 am

Thanks Linda,

Interesting read - I like this bit -
sturgess66 wrote:“But then I sat down and wrote (her first song) ’Since You’ve Asked.”’

In 2008, artists such as Dolly Parton, Joan Baez and Chrissie Hynde released a tribute album to Collins called “Born to the Breed,” which also included Cohen doing a spoken word version of “Since You’ve Asked,” which Collins calls “poetic justice.”
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:17 pm

sturgess66 wrote:In 2004 she did release a whole album of Cohen covers, including three new recordings, and praised him for his “spectacular songs.”
Thank you for posting this article. Judy's version of 'Thousand Kisses Deep is' very beautiful.
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:35 am

Linda - what a nice 'feel good' article - thank you!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:55 am

. . . which also included Cohen doing a spoken word version of “Since You’ve Asked,” which Collins calls “poetic justice.”
I don't recall ever having heard that.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:31 am

lizzytysh wrote:
. . . which also included Cohen doing a spoken word version of “Since You’ve Asked,” which Collins calls “poetic justice.”
I don't recall ever having heard that.
Here is is on Amazon - and you can listen to a little excerpt of Leonard - "Since You've Asked"

http://www.amazon.com/Born-Breed-Tribut ... B0018K6QSQ
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Linda,

I first previewed the cover of 'Born to Breed' and then put on 'Since You've Asked'. With his first spoken syllable, my heart melted. Thank you for that link.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Mary -
(this might not be the place for this reference, but ...)
have you listened to Hal Willner's "Weird Nightmare" (meditations on Mingus, Columbia 1992) - Leonard recites "The Chill of Death" (in Eclipse) - with Diamanda Galas's vocals in the background.
Absolutely glorious.
Annie
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Annie,

Thank you for the info. I googled it and was able to find a preview with LC's recitation. It was only 29seconds, but what I heard was eerie. LC's voice and recitation was so well suited to the music!

Return to “News”