"Cohen poem creates tone of exuberant spring dance"

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Dem

Post by Dem » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:01 pm

by DIANE DE LA PAZ; The News Tribune - Tacoma,WA

http://www.tribnet.com/entertainment/st ... 6114c.html

A petite redhead leaps, deerlike, into the arms of her husband, a tall, muscular buck. That's Emilie and Roy Stevens, who've been together seven years. Watching them dance, however, you might imagine they've just found each other in the forest.

They're among the stars of "Dance Me to the End of Love," the Metropolitan Ballet of Tacoma's spring concert inspired by Leonard Cohen's passionate poem.

The words and dance, both delirious and hopeful, "describe so many ways of loving; all the possible ways. Everyone will be able to see something they can relate to," says Emilie Stevens. "It's exhilarating, the best possible feeling," moving to Cohen's poetic celebration of love. "I think it will really work for a lot of people. They won't be sitting there, scratching their heads," wondering what the dance means.

Metropolitan Ballet's spring performances are known for stretching outside the boundaries of ballet. They mix modern moves with classical tutus, and "we let our hair down," says choreographer Damaris Caughlan. Just as the dancing is multifaceted, so is the music she's chosen. In addition to the jumble of musical works within the 30-minute "Dance Me to the End of Love," company members and guest artists will frolic through other pieces set to patriotic march music and to "Down to the River to Pray," Alison Krauss' song from "O Brother Where Art Thou."

The 17-year-old ballet school and company puts a real community of dancers on stage, not an artificial lineup of cookie-cuttered dolls. Body-conscious costumes celebrate a diversity of shapes, including pregnant Lisa Reeves. She'll dance the part of "Love" that's about building a house and a family. "Bling-blang," a Woody Guthrie tune about "building a house for my baby-o," is the soundtrack for that sequence. The folk song clicks into a musical mix that moves across a gamut of styles.

"This isn't like most ballets. The dancing isn't to all the same kind of music," said dancer Maria Larson, 14. But even if the selections vary from Midori's classical violin to Guthrie's twang, "It all comes together," she says. "It's a really good experience."

"Dance me to the children/ who are asking to be born/ dance me through the curtains/ that our kisses have outworn/ Raise a tent of shelter now/ though every thread is torn/ Dance me to the end of love," goes Cohen's poem, recited by dancer Erin Schwantner. Swathed in a long, pale pink bodysuit-skirt-cowl, she will appear at the top of the piece, slip in at intervals, and finally give form to the climax.

"Erin goes all the way to the top of the bridge," a structure made for the performance by Tacoma sculptor Fritz Church. "And she dives into love as the lights go out. We don't see her caught," explains Caughlan. It's a spring fling, deepened into a heady, scary plunge into love. "I want the audience to have that moment," Caughlan adds, of gasping and falling.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:06 pm

WOW :D !!! Awesome 8) !!! Right up to the very end! I'm going to the site now, to see if, mayhaps, it will be toured and to anywhere even remotely near me.

Thank you, Demetris!

:cry: Well, if it's going to be performed at a high-school theatre, and admission is $12 for adults, I guess I won't be seeing it "in a location near you" any time soon :( ! I love that configuration of bodies in the photo. And, look at the article....it has all the words to Leonard's song, plus cites other music/books by him! Fabulous, continuing introduction of him into the 'mainstream' :D 8) ! I'm going to call her and see if they will be having a videotape of the performance, available for sale to those unable to see it in person.
BTRD

Re: "Cohen poem creates tone of exuberant spring dance&

Post by BTRD » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:16 pm

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of this production, Demetris. Thoughtful and kind of you, per usual. I'll deffo save your post in my Keepers file so that I might explain common misconceptions about the tune, Dance Me To The End Of Love, the one which I examine in the first chapter of the book, based on information given me by LC concerning the circumstances surrounding its genesis and creation.

Nice to see you're still fully alive and kickin' . . . I think of you often, thinking of so much Greek work, drinking deeply and reading widely in that direction. My appreciation of Seferis grows ever deeper. What a brilliant poet he is/was/will always be, at least, in my books. In the new work, he makes his presence felt, and I think your name is in the acknowledgments of Orestes' Lament since, it is not by accident we painted paradise blue. Thank you (and, Jarkko, too). What impressed me most is you picked it off right away -- you knew what it was and from whom the original issued. That is no small impressive feat. Bet yer boots.

xoxoxoxo, J
p.s. The calamities of Gorge Gorgon Bushed are mounting daily -- WMD, indeedly! It is devastating to see what he pretended, post twin-towers to be, and have that gesture erased and his reputation so blatantly disgraced. Now, of course, I am with Israel and always shall be; but, he is beyond insanely gone, no matter what side of the war you endorse -- there is no war, there is a massive ego licking the bottom of the barrel trying to bribe his people into a second term. It ain't gonna play in this world, no way (so, you can rest assured the catastrophe has registered globally, and his actions are egregious beyond belief). He's simply a snake in the ass
p.p.s. Try reading the Canadian media concerning the equally calamitous anti-semetism rearing its uglies in major cities (such as Toronto and Montreal) and then, tell me again what I need to know about the low below the low below low, and what everybody does indeedly know, and explain to me, please, why this is happening in this century, if possible (which it ain't so, it's rhetorcial)
p.p.p.s. Gawd, what I wouldn't have given to have gone to Hydra -- perhaps, someday, I may be able to go to an event, when the monster (workload) dies
p.p.p.p.s. NRN -- I think I have exhausted all procrastinatorial avenues and must wrap this book (OL) up and send it into the world . . .
--
COMING SOON TO A BROWSER NEAR YOU!
All new, nourishicant, neat, nifty, nipsiblissical, natty, nobby,
nectareous, now-so-wowzical, and next!
Judith Fitzgerald's WriteSite:
http://www.judithfitzgerald.ca
JUST PUBLISHED! ADAGIOS QUARTET BOOK I -- IPHIGENIA'S SONG:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/oberon/new.html#poetry
BRAND NEWSICAL UPSIFYING NEWZ:
Iphigenia's Song Honoured by ReLit Long Listers, Hallelujah!
http://www.relitawards.com/
Dem

Post by Dem » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:30 pm

Hi Judith,

Nice to hear from you after a long time.

You might like to know that in the last issues of a Greek literary review, "Paremvasi" (issues No124 and No 125), some poems by Leonard Cohen and FR Scott were published, translated into Greek by me.
In the next issue there will probably be some poems by Irving Layton.
And who knows, maybe Judith Fitzgerald will be the next?

I will try to find a copy of "Iphigenia's Song". Inspired as it is by the Atrides myth (I am sure you know pretty well what place this myth holds in the Ancient Greek tragedy) makes it more intriguing for a Greek -and not "Grecian" as that Bush would say :-) like me.

Also, in the next issue of "Diavazo" one of the major Greek journals on books and literature will be a special feature on Canadian literature.
I am curious to see what will be included.

All the best,
Demetris
BTRD

Post by BTRD » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:05 pm

Thanks, Dem. You've improved my spirits even more spiritedly and for this, I am grateful. The publications you've described certainly seem "MUST OWN" to me and, once Jarkko's busiest time of year concludes, I'm gonna bug him till he allows me to pay him to pay you to send the data to me. Sounds interesting and Frank Scott, too. Great!

And, yes, your Seferis translation helped me so much, I have ensured your name appears in Book Two of the Quartet, the one I'm sending in the morning. Thanks for that and again, your instant "pick-off" floored me and indicated to me what a wealth of information you have in your possession. I'm consumed with all things Greek, I'm actually studying the language itself, so I might at least get a sense of the lyricality and inherent musicability of the original. Myself, I prefer Seferis over Cavafy but, you know, I'd take either if I were stranded on a Greek Isle :).

Thanks and be well, HunkSome. We'll be in touch. Count on it.

xoxoxoxo, J
--
COMING SOON TO A BROWSER NEAR YOU!
All new, nourishicant, neat, nifty, nipsiblissical, natty, nobby,
nectareous, now-so-wowzical, and next!
Judith Fitzgerald's WriteSite:
http://www.judithfitzgerald.ca
JUST PUBLISHED! ADAGIOS QUARTET BOOK I -- IPHIGENIA'S SONG:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/oberon/new.html#poetry
BRAND NEWSICAL UPSIFYING NEWS:
Iphigenia's Song Honoured by ReLit Long Listers, Hallelujah!
http://www.relitawards.com/
Dem

Post by Dem » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:07 am

Oh! About Seferis I just forgot to tell you:

A very good biography of Seferis was recently published in English (and translated as well into Greek. I don't know if you are aware of it.
Here are the data:

"George Seferis: Waiting for the Angel, A Biography"
by Roderick Beaton

Hardcover: 528 pages ;
Publisher: Yale University Press; (October 1, 2003)
ISBN: 030010135X

Keep in touch,
Demetris

PS) Studing the Greek language?
I am impredssed! Must be like studing Chinese! :-)
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:16 am

Ciao Everyone!

I have a morsel!

On my Koln bootleg (thank-you my friend!) there is this spoken by Leonard to thousands--and also I know he has said in interviews to others before and this is the way he created it--

"This is a song that arose from a photograph that I saw when I was a child of some people in striped pajamas prison uniforms with violins playing beside a smoke stack and the smoke was made out of gypsys and children and this song arose out of that photograph, DANCE ME TO THE END OF LOVE."

Vesuvius

Return to “News”