What to do with the Politics?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
efc

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby efc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

ladydi wrote:I agree!

At this point I think all of us (except Cate who is graciously acting as translator!) are receiving the same response...


"this post was made by efc who is currently on your ignore list"
Cate isn't "graciously acting as translator!", she's acting as Byron's shill. She might just be part of the lie.
User avatar
Byron
Posts: 3171
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:01 pm
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby Byron » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:34 pm

jarkko wrote:I think it's time to discuss the future of our "Politics" section. There are only a couple of members who are posting there, most of them about Israel, or US politics.
The number of views these messages generate is very limited, although the threads get excessive visibility in the "View new posts" option which is used by most of our members.
I don't want to close the section totally, but we could introduce some other methods. What about merging all new Israel-threads to just one, and all messages about US politics also to one.
Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Politics, Religion, Cultures, Generations, Genders, Responsibilities, Morals and Ethics will all travel down the road of polarisation at some stage. Open discussion and the ability to see the 'ideology,' without letting the odium of 'personality' arise and deflower the purity of clinical thought, is a difficult goal to achieve. Under normal circumstances........... I believe that the members of the Forum would conduct themselves with a mature and respectful demeanour in this specifically, Politically-oriented thread. I would never demand that free speech be muffled at its source. We all have the freedom to air our views on a vast range of topics. And therein lies the problem. Freedom to discuss topics is one thing, however, it requires the use of respecting the ideology pertaining to matters which are national and international. I fear that the thread has become a 'familiar' of the cheapest form of newspaper crassness.
I am loathe to see the thread become a garbage-tip or land-fill site for the worst kind of personal expression.
You all know what I am alluding to and I feel that we have reached a stage when the moderators will have to put their collective 'thinking-caps' on, lest this thread descends into Dante's Rings Of Hell, or they have to 'pull the plug.'
By pulling the plug, we would lose the baby with the bath-water, which would be a sad loss to us all. The baby, of course, being our sensible, sensitive, well-mannered, friendly 'collection of Cohen devotees.'
I have not taken this posting lightly. I would not be pleased to see this thread removed. There are those who believe that it doesn't belong in a Forum dedicated to Leonard Cohen, his poetry, novels, lyrics, music, concerts, and his life. I can understand that stance which they take. It makes perfect sense. Some people believe that it would be well nigh impossible to remove 'Politics' from Leonard's poetry, novels etc. That too makes perfect sense. Many people in this Forum will have memories of times long passed when they took part in 'Debating Societies' at High School and University.
Just such debates broadened minds, young and older, allowing people to understand the need to focus on the issues that were and are germane to the nub of their discussions.
This thread has become a hobby-horse for blinkered, personal affronteries, which do nothing but 'spoil' healthy organic growth of views and discourse. I do not include myself in the squadrons of those under attack. I do however find it extremely difficult to hold any sort of discussion. I know that views have been expressed that perhaps now is the time for the moderators to 'moderate.' I decided to make this request to them as a result of seeing the reaction that has come from several members who genuinely want to bring this thread to a higher standing, or, and I hate this option, to close the Politics Thread down.
That is all I want to say on the matter. I shall not be engaging in any further discussions in this thread unless and until the moderators have decided what to do with it. They have been remarkably democratic in the past and I have full confidence in their judgement. I shall abide by their decision.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
John the Shorts
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:22 pm
Location: Wales

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby John the Shorts » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 am

ladydi wrote:Just an observation. I think this discourse regarding "politics" is being taken care of in a very (note the small "d") democratic way. The "American" way. The people are indeed speaking.
democracy (with a small "d") is coming to the USA? (I'll refrain from references to Merseysides 3rd best team)
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
John Etherington
Posts: 2580
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby John Etherington » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:59 am

I've only glanced at this thread, but all it seems to have done is add a second politics thread to the forum!
User avatar
Alsiony
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Answers on a postcard please

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby Alsiony » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm

efc wrote:
Alsiony wrote:
Well there is obviously some relatively serious bother about it, or else surely the question would not have been raised for debate in the first place?
Further, it seems an obvious and un-required comment, when it is said that
Jarkko will do what he considers appropriate.

Well -he is running this forum afterall!
But the happy difference is, that instead of signing into the forum to find a news item entitled 'Scheduled forum changes- the politics section is being axed' (for example), here we have a referendum of sorts taking place, atleast an opinion poll ahead of any decisions being made.

Whatever decision is to be made on it all in the end, the very existence of this thread itself, simply induces further confidence that this forum is being operated in a thoughful and appropriate manner.
Something that I for one greatly appreciate.
A

x
"Serious bother" sounds rather dramatic if I may say so.

Actually, what I said was "That of course is entirely correct. For my part I am expressing an opinion, an opinion that has been requested. It's also an opinion that has been informed by how I believe my posts have been unfairly dealt with. Jarkko will do what he considers appropriate", in response to B4real's "All I have to say is that this is Jarkko's site and he can do with it what he wants. He has very democratically (politically) asked our opinions but he doesn't have to do what we say."

So all I was doing was acknowledging/agreeing with that comment, which puts my comment in rather better context than you managed.

And let's note that you didn't feel it necessary to tell B4real "Well -he is running this forum afterall!". Funny that.

Darling efc -
Sincere apologies for not replying to this sooner (as you have remonstrated me about further along the thread :))

I have been so busy lately, to the point, in fact, where I have even been too busy even for just peeing in the wind responding to you.
Now though, as the case seems to present itself - I have a bit more free time again.

when I used the phrase 'serious bother' I was of course meaning the fact that I am sure Jarkko and the team would not waste anyone's time by posing a question, unless it was indeed serious enough to bother to raise in the first place. Hmmmm, not rocket science.
You can pick holes in my choice of phrase if that really gives you a hit in life efc...I don't mind...
...but I know that you know what I meant - infact - I know that you know that I know that you know what I meant :)

Best Wishes

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
User avatar
Alsiony
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Answers on a postcard please

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby Alsiony » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:04 pm

efc wrote:
Alsiony wrote:Efc - out of everyone - you alone are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo making the strongest case against keeping the political section of the forum, (something that I have stated I do not believe should happen by the way)

BUT GEE WHIZ!!!

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS IN ALL OF IT'S TECHNICOLOUR IRONY :lol: :lol:

How does it go again?... oh yeah...
'I once heard of this bloke, who, despite all the best willed advice in the world, absolutely insisted on repeatedly shooting himself in the foot - and was then, strangely surprised to find that he could no longer walk'.

Hmmmm...

:?
:roll:
:lol:

A
x
Are " sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" and a small army of smily type things, not to mention the caps, an attempt to make us think, like, you're grown up already.
Please don't confuse an ability to still smile whilst in adulthood, with a lack of ability to grow up...that's a very silly and naive thing to do...

To quote Baudelaire... who is referring to art here- but the principle of his statement can refer to life overall, I do believe...)

"The child sees everything in a state of newness; he is always drunk. Nothing more resembles what we call inspiration than the delight with which a child absorbs form and colour...Genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will - a childhood now equipped for self-expression with manhoods capacities and a power of analysis which enables it to order the mass of raw material which is has involuntarily accumulated..."

I am sure that you will understand the obvious point that I am making here with regards to you...

Best wishes

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
User avatar
remote1
Posts: 2503
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:59 pm
Location: between the snowman and the rain

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby remote1 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

John Etherington wrote:I've only glanced at this thread, but all it seems to have done is add a second politics thread to the forum!
On the up side, I now use the View New Posts option all the time! Such a cool option to have! Thanks for the tip Jarkko! :D
"We are so lightly here"
User avatar
brightnow
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby brightnow » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:48 pm

remote1 wrote:I now use the View New Posts option all the time! Such a cool option to have!...
I use it every day, and it's the main reason why I wish we did not have the "politics" section to pollute the forum the way it does.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
John the Shorts
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:22 pm
Location: Wales

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby John the Shorts » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:21 am

ladydi wrote:I agree!

At this point I think all of us (except Cate who is graciously acting as translator!) are receiving the same response...


"this post was made by efc who is currently on your ignore list"
+1
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
GWoodin
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:00 am

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby GWoodin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 am

I just became a member. So sad to hear that many members would prefer to do away with the "politics." Honestly, I just discovered LC at age 52. I find much of what he has said so relevant to our time- "on the brink of something....." So for me having a place to share what is callling out to us now as it relates to LC's spoken words and our times becomes a place of being which in many ways is sacred. Of course, if bitching, politicizing become the norm then a space that allows "words be so perhaps they can become" is diminished. So, if "Politics" is not the space for this, then I hope to find another.
efc

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby efc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:36 pm

John the Shorts wrote:
ladydi wrote:Just an observation. I think this discourse regarding "politics" is being taken care of in a very (note the small "d") democratic way. The "American" way. The people are indeed speaking.
democracy (with a small "d") is coming to the USA? (I'll refrain from references to Merseysides 3rd best team)
Surely even Liverpool are better than Tranmere
efc

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby efc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Alsiony wrote:
efc wrote:
Alsiony wrote:

"Serious bother" sounds rather dramatic if I may say so.

Actually, what I said was "That of course is entirely correct. For my part I am expressing an opinion, an opinion that has been requested. It's also an opinion that has been informed by how I believe my posts have been unfairly dealt with. Jarkko will do what he considers appropriate", in response to B4real's "All I have to say is that this is Jarkko's site and he can do with it what he wants. He has very democratically (politically) asked our opinions but he doesn't have to do what we say."

So all I was doing was acknowledging/agreeing with that comment, which puts my comment in rather better context than you managed.

And let's note that you didn't feel it necessary to tell B4real "Well -he is running this forum afterall!". Funny that.

Darling efc -
Sincere apologies for not replying to this sooner (as you have remonstrated me about further along the thread :))

I have been so busy lately, to the point, in fact, where I have even been too busy even for just peeing in the wind responding to you.
Now though, as the case seems to present itself - I have a bit more free time again.

when I used the phrase 'serious bother' I was of course meaning the fact that I am sure Jarkko and the team would not waste anyone's time by posing a question, unless it was indeed serious enough to bother to raise in the first place. Hmmmm, not rocket science.
You can pick holes in my choice of phrase if that really gives you a hit in life efc...I don't mind...
...but I know that you know what I meant - infact - I know that you know that I know that you know what I meant :)

Best Wishes

A
x
What are you on about, all I was saying was that "serious bother" overstated the case.

I also said:

"Actually, what I said was "That of course is entirely correct. For my part I am expressing an opinion, an opinion that has been requested. It's also an opinion that has been informed by how I believe my posts have been unfairly dealt with. Jarkko will do what he considers appropriate", in response to B4real's "All I have to say is that this is Jarkko's site and he can do with it what he wants. He has very democratically (politically) asked our opinions but he doesn't have to do what we say."
So all I was doing was acknowledging/agreeing with that comment, which puts my comment in rather better context than you managed.
And let's note that you didn't feel it necessary to tell B4real "Well -he is running this forum afterall!". Funny that."

You've still not answered that bit, even after I drew your attention to the fact.

Btw, there was no rush - I was just drawing attention to the fact that you'd had a go at me, whilst ignoring a substantive issue. Something you've repeated.
efc

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby efc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Alsiony wrote:
efc wrote:
Alsiony wrote:Efc - out of everyone - you alone are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo making the strongest case against keeping the political section of the forum, (something that I have stated I do not believe should happen by the way)

BUT GEE WHIZ!!!

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS IN ALL OF IT'S TECHNICOLOUR IRONY :lol: :lol:

How does it go again?... oh yeah...
'I once heard of this bloke, who, despite all the best willed advice in the world, absolutely insisted on repeatedly shooting himself in the foot - and was then, strangely surprised to find that he could no longer walk'.

Hmmmm...

:?
:roll:
:lol:

A
x
Are " sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" and a small army of smily type things, not to mention the caps, an attempt to make us think, like, you're grown up already.
Please don't confuse an ability to still smile whilst in adulthood, with a lack of ability to grow up...that's a very silly and naive thing to do...

To quote Baudelaire... who is referring to art here- but the principle of his statement can refer to life overall, I do believe...)

"The child sees everything in a state of newness; he is always drunk. Nothing more resembles what we call inspiration than the delight with which a child absorbs form and colour...Genius is nothing more nor less than childhood recovered at will - a childhood now equipped for self-expression with manhoods capacities and a power of analysis which enables it to order the mass of raw material which is has involuntarily accumulated..."

I am sure that you will understand the obvious point that I am making here with regards to you...

Best wishes

A
x
What's obvious to me is that you're a hysterical woman who doesn't know what she's talking about.
User avatar
Alsiony
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:02 pm
Location: Answers on a postcard please

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby Alsiony » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Do you know what efc? - I'm a very far from being an hysterical type of anything - but now that you have labeled me as such... does that give me license to be a complete and utter lunatic then?? :D Yay! (For if efc has spoken - it must be true...)

Anyways - stop it now would you honey? I am not doing this anymore - this rubbish is just bunging up the serious point of having this thread in the first place.

Go away and find some more hysterical people who can't possibly bring themselves to agree with you either ;)

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
User avatar
Wybe
Site Admin
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:05 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Postby Wybe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Efc / Rob,

As I told you in my PM, if you don’t stop with your insulting postings to other members of the forum I will remove you as a member. And you did it again, so I removed you (efc) as a member.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests