What to do with the Politics?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Alsiony

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Post by Alsiony »

Maybe there should be other separate sections for sex and religion. And sexual politics. And religious politics...
8)
What a great idea!!! :lol: - If ONLY Jarkko and the team didn't already have plenty to do for all of us on this forum as it is arranged right now ;-)
Speaking as a relative newbie - What a lovely place this is!
I often wonder what 'this place' would look like if it were an actual town or something - it would definately be harder to control the political section then though - I am sure :D

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
remote1

Post by remote1 »

What baffles me most is what the point of this "View New Posts" button is.
"We are so lightly here"
Alsiony

Post by Alsiony »

Remote - I think that's a short-cut for those who come to the forum frequently - you know - the 'obsessed ones',
not that I would know about anything like that mind you ;) :P

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

remote1 wrote:What baffles me most is what the point of this "View New Posts" button is.
I use it all the time. It shows new posts - the threads appear in the order that posts have been made - the newest on top. A good feature - IMO. :D Actually - I was thinking of "View Active Posts." But maybe "View New Posts" gives you posts that have happened since you last visited?
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

sturgess66 wrote: ...But maybe "View New Posts" gives you posts that have happened since you last visited?
That is exactly right.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I second Squidgy's sentiments [alliteration and all ;-) ] regarding the absurdity of thinking that Leonard and politics are mutually exclusive, when that is not even close to truth. He may not actively indulge in them at concerts; however, his songs stand strong to the reality of our lives being inundated by political forces.

If there's a way to make it painless... or at least less painful... for those who don't visit there at all [I count myself amongst those at this point... enough hatred being spewed everywhere, as it is, already in this world] by adjusting that New Posts function somehow, I feel that would be the best option. Politics and strong feelings about politics are not going to disappear or go unexpressed here just because you've removed a/the proper section for them.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I disagree completely with those that suggest that removing the politics section constitutes censorship and the "you can't disinvent the bomb so live with it and make a place for it in your heart" one too.

Of course Leonard Cohen is political and his songs have a "political edge", but they are not party political and I've oft found myself quoting the "neither left nor right" line in this context. I'm political myself, and have strong views on the way things are and the way I'd prefer them to be, but I don't feel the need to air my views on here at any given moment and would think it inappropriately rude of myself to do so in a forum intended for fans of a songwriter to get together and not much else.

You could argue that the politics section has a positive function akin to "the homicidal bitchin' that goes on in every kitchen" but again I disagree. Family arguments in kitchens are usually resolvable and get resolved because situationally they have to be. Arguments in the ether don't and can't.

If you ask me, political discussions in forums like this are the bourgeois internet equivalent of taking a dump in the open air. I would therefore like to suggest that the politics section be re-titled "the taking a dump section" or, more simply, "the latrine". At least everyone then knows where it's located should they feel the need to go, and the place to avoid if they prefer to keep their nostrils away from something backed up and malodorous :D .

Taking the politics section out of the "new posts" list would be good too.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I agree that this would be a good compromise, but unfortunateky the forum software created by phpBB does not offer this option.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sue7

Post by sue7 »

remote1 wrote:What baffles me most is what the point of this "View New Posts" button is.
I use it all the time. Hmmm, does that make me one of the "obsessed ones?"
If you're on the forum frequently, it's a great way to see what's going on, which are the active topics right now. And it's an easy way to pick up new threads with a single click, rather than having to check each section.
remote1

Post by remote1 »

sue7 wrote:
I use it all the time. Hmmm, does that make me one of the "obsessed ones?"
If you're on the forum frequently, it's a great way to see what's going on, which are the active topics right now. And it's an easy way to pick up new threads with a single click, rather than having to check each section.
:lol: I think Jarkko knows who the most obsessed ones are and I fear that I too may come very very high up on the list! :lol:
(I own a forum and a website, and you get huge amounts of statistics; it's a bit scary, actually, when you realise what the main administrator can see - it makes you aware of how little privacy you actually have on the web...)

I had actually never noticed the "View New Posts" button until Jarrko mentioned it on this thread. I just go down the sections that interest me when I see they have turned red... But now everyone is speaking so highly of it, I will give it a go! ;-)

Cheers!

[Apologies as this is all pretty much off topic]
"We are so lightly here"
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

brightnow wrote:I would prefer to see the Politics section go away, and the "no politics" rule upheld.
There are so many forums and sites where people can talk about politics, why do it here?
I agree with your words
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
Paula

Post by Paula »

If it is easier to merge Jarkko then merge but I don't think you can exclude political threads everything we do in our lives and how we live them is based in politics of some sort.

But there are a few members who really need to let off steam about politics generally I find it very easy just to ignore them its when they encroach on other threads that causes the problem.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm with you, Paula.

If the 'Notify of New Posts' function can be disabled regarding the Politics SECTION & its THREADS, then Voila[!] problem solved. No hassles, no encroachment to deal with... and, Jarkko, my feeling is that you've been around these parts long enough ;-) to know that just because you delete a Section will not mean that political commentary will disappear. It will simply appear in other threads... and then what? If you delete them, you've de facto instituted Censorship. For those who abhor the Political section, choose your poison.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jarkko wrote:
I agree that this would be a good compromise, but unfortunateky the forum software created by phpBB does not offer this option.
Jarkko

Would this be possible if Politics was in a completely separate section altogether e.g. only available to registered members and maybe passworded in some simple (and obvious)way - whatever it would take to achieve the necessary degree of separation?

Wendy
margaret

Post by margaret »

Wendy,
I'm not a techie, but think this idea would mean setting up another separate Forum which would have to be administered by someone. Maybe one of the regulars who want to discuss political issues ad infinitum would take it on? ;-) In the interests of free speech no moderators need get involved at all.

Personally, I don't mind the odd political reference from time to time, in the context of discussing music or literature, but NOT the rambling endless ranting which leads nowhere ...but to discord, :shock: on a Forum specifically dedicated to Leonard Cohen.

Return to “News”