What to do with the Politics?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
efc

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Post by efc »

GinaDCG wrote:efc,

Why on earth to you care if Byron reads or does not read your posts? (unless you really are a paid troll.) Just because eyes gloss over some print on the screen does not mean that their meaning is digested at all or that the arguments they advance are even followed by so much as 1 brain synapse.

Its as if you think you have a right to command everyone's attention and if they deny the attention you believe you are entitled to, then they must be proved to be a fraud, or a lier, or a whatever. Why?
Why on earth are you so missing the point. It's Byron who cares, and I'm responding to that. Byron announces he's putting me down as "foe", ie. he doesn't want anything to do with me. Then he contradicts himself, in Music and this forum, by responding to me. Clearly there is a contradiction there, and all I did was point that out. You apparently have a problem with that, and concentrate on the response whilst ignoring the context.

Unlike Byron and his type I don't need to use "foe". I am happy to express my opinion and see other people's views. The problem you lot have is that you don't like my views, and don't like the fact that I can substantiate them The truly pitiful are the likes of Margaret who take a potshot, then in the same breath say they'll add me to their "foe" list. Pathetic.
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

efc wrote:The problem you lot have is that you don't like my views, and don't like the fact that I can substantiate them The truly pitiful are the likes of Margaret who take a potshot, then in the same breath say they'll add me to their "foe" list. Pathetic.
No, actually, for me the problem is NO, you and other repetitive posters do NOT substantiate your views. You equate volume of postings with substance and often end up back in grade school with name-calling and taunts. Which is why I (and presumably Byron) have learned to generally ignore political postings. Of course, I have this naive dedication and memory of the value of reasoned discourse -- but I believe that a similar valuation of these ideals by conservatives sadly, passed away with William Buckley. And without Buckley to tether you all to the post of "sense" you have gone back into the wilderness of modern John Birchism, which is now called "Tea Bagging."

Which is why the topic of this post rings with an (at least) American resonance which is so true. "What can we do with Politics" -- when one side has regressed to grade school taunts and intimidations instead of reasoned discourse?
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

margaret wrote:efc,

Do you not understand yet what Byron has said? The only thing he can see when you make any comment whatsoever, is a message that "efc has made a post." He does not see any other words apart from an option to ....."display this post " if desired. He is correct and truthful when stating he has not read your posts. He is not a fraud, and he is not a liar.

You will now be on my "foe "list in future, so I will not see any more of the drivel you are spouting.

If you go to User control panel, then friends and foes, you will see how this works.
In fact now I can no longer see any of your previous posts either. You are invisible.
Margaret

Many thanks for this helpful tip - and thanks to Byron for prompting the exchange
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Just an observation. I think this discourse regarding "politics" is being taken care of in a very (note the small "d") democratic way. The "American" way. The people are indeed speaking.
efc

Post by efc »

GinaDCG wrote:
efc wrote:The problem you lot have is that you don't like my views, and don't like the fact that I can substantiate them The truly pitiful are the likes of Margaret who take a potshot, then in the same breath say they'll add me to their "foe" list. Pathetic.
No, actually, for me the problem is NO, you and other repetitive posters do NOT substantiate your views. You equate volume of postings with substance and often end up back in grade school with name-calling and taunts. Which is why I (and presumably Byron) have learned to generally ignore political postings. Of course, I have this naive dedication and memory of the value of reasoned discourse -- but I believe that a similar valuation of these ideals by conservatives sadly, passed away with William Buckley. And without Buckley to tether you all to the post of "sense" you have gone back into the wilderness of modern John Birchism, which is now called "Tea Bagging."

Which is why the topic of this post rings with an (at least) American resonance which is so true. "What can we do with Politics" -- when one side has regressed to grade school taunts and intimidations instead of reasoned discourse?
You've got yourself into a bit of a muddle haven't you. I posted substantive comments. You purport to respond to my post but you ignore the substance of my post, and in the same breath claim I haven't dealt with the substance. And for good measure you don't substantiate your own claims.

And despite your failed attempt to claim the moral high ground it's clear that you're ok with people having a go at me, and running away to hide behind "foe" (eg. Margaret). It's also clear that you're ok with "grade school taunts" being directed in my direction (eg. Alsiony).

Let me help you by repeating the part of my post you missed out:

"Why on earth are you so missing the point. It's Byron who cares, and I'm responding to that. Byron announces he's putting me down as "foe", ie. he doesn't want anything to do with me. Then he contradicts himself, in Music and this forum, by responding to me. Clearly there is a contradiction there, and all I did was point that out. You apparently have a problem with that, and concentrate on the response whilst ignoring the context."

To put it another way Byron's behaviour raises the question of whether he actually added me as foe. If (and that's the word I used) that was the case then of course he would have lied.

So why don't you respond to that, instead of regurtitating unsubstantiated generalisations. Do you agree that Byron's behaviour was inconsistent with his statement that he added me as "foe"?

And whilst you're about it why not provide examples of what you mean by "grade school with name-calling and taunts". That way I will know what you're referring to.
efc

Post by efc »

John the Shorts wrote:
margaret wrote:efc,

Do you not understand yet what Byron has said? The only thing he can see when you make any comment whatsoever, is a message that "efc has made a post." He does not see any other words apart from an option to ....."display this post " if desired. He is correct and truthful when stating he has not read your posts. He is not a fraud, and he is not a liar.

You will now be on my "foe "list in future, so I will not see any more of the drivel you are spouting.

If you go to User control panel, then friends and foes, you will see how this works.
In fact now I can no longer see any of your previous posts either. You are invisible.
Margaret

Many thanks for this helpful tip - and thanks to Byron for prompting the exchange
Thanks also to Byron, for continuing the exchange
efc

Post by efc »

ladydi wrote:Just an observation. I think this discourse regarding "politics" is being taken care of in a very (note the small "d") democratic way. The "American" way. The people are indeed speaking.
Actually we have a herd instinct, group-think type of deal going on. Escapism even. I'm not sure the timing of your self-righteous reference to the "American way" is helpful, given the not so Democratic way that Democrats have forced through healthcare against the will of the people, not to mention Democrats'their/Obama's lies, threats and bribes. Here's a little flavour of their behaviour for you, helpfully posted by John Boehner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHTJSu_2Lk
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I just popped in to say that my screen contains these three messages....

This post was made by efc who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

This post was made by efc who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

If 'anyone' is still unable to grasp the concept of the word 'ignore' and the option given by the words, 'Display this post,' let me repeat my previous choice of what to do with similar messages. I do not 'Display this post.'

There now, that didn't hurt did it?

I know someone has posted something, and yet I find peace and contentment by doing absolutely nothing with the option given to me. I have no idea what has been written, and what is more important, I can now go on to read contributions by other people. So, let this be my last offering as far as this tangential discourse is concerned, as I shall not waste any more of my time endeavouring to explain how the 'Foe' system works.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
efc

Post by efc »

Byron wrote:I just popped in to say that my screen contains these three messages....

If 'anyone' is still unable to grasp the concept of the word 'ignore' and the option given by the words, 'Display this post,' let me repeat my previous choice of what to do with similar messages. I do not 'Display this post.'

There now, that didn't hurt did it?

I know someone has posted something, and yet I find peace and contentment by doing absolutely nothing with the option given to me. I have no idea what has been written, and what is more important, I can now go on to read contributions by other people. So, let this be my last offering as far as this tangential discourse is concerned, as I shall not waste any more of my time endeavouring to explain how the 'Foe' system works.
Welcome home, you lying fraud. It's just the others that don't get it :)
Cate

Post by Cate »

efc I think you missed the part where he said he couldn't read what you wrote. Don't worry in the spirit of spring I'll help you out

Byron - Efc said welcome home, then he called you a special pet name and said something about others just not understanding... :( ohhh that's a bit sad
efc

Post by efc »

efc wrote:
Cate wrote:
efc wrote: Jarkko is thinking of down away with Politics, as a section, and most people who have replied, are against that. I don't see how Jarkko's comments amount to his having a "headache" about the issue.
Hi Rob, I think we both made assumptions. To me having to tidy up threads and listening to grumping sounds like something that would give me a headache - mind you my status as a wife and a mother (7 & 9 year old boys) might effect my perception. Now your ability to know what Jarkko is thinking is impressive, but my guess is that you are also assuming but I'm not sure why you've come to that conclusion.
Jarkko clearly said
I don't want to close the section totally, but we could introduce some other methods. What about merging all new Israel-threads to just one, and all messages about US politics also to one.
Hi Cate,

As a general point Jarkko says he doesn't want ro close the section totally, which isn't the same as saying he wouldn't (and the conversation had turned into a for and against Politics section before I started posting). Now that might be an academic distinction, but as we're quoting Jarkko's comments it's one that should be noted.

But what I said is that "Jarkko is thinking of down away with Politics, as a section". Jarkko's proposal amounts to setting up Politics in such a way that it wouldn't be a normal section, and that was the point I was trying to make - I understood that he was wishing to merge threads within Politics (and I've referred before to someone having already done that on the sly). There are other sections with non-Leonard content, and Politics is being treated differently from them. Some people say thay are against Politics because of it's non-Leonard content, but they're not against the other non-Leonard sections. Those types might want to rethink their positions.

I don't even need to factor in the link between Leonard's lyrics and Politics.
You don't have an answer, but that's ok
Last edited by efc on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
efc

Post by efc »

Cate wrote:efc I think you missed the part where he said he couldn't read what you wrote. Don't worry in the spirit of spring I'll help you out

Byron - Efc said welcome home, then he called you a special pet name and said something about others just not understanding... :( ohhh that's a bit sad
I've missed nothing, just covered everything, because you see, either way he's living the lie.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I think it's about time this thread was locked. Thankfully I can't see any of efc's many posts now but I sense from the responses that we are very far away from Jarkko's original request for thoughts on what do do with the Politics section - except maybe to harden opinions on all sides.

Wendy

PS The thread probably needs to be moved from the News section as well. It's hardly "new" any more is it ...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

I agree!

At this point I think all of us (except Cate who is graciously acting as translator!) are receiving the same response...

"this post was made by efc who is currently on your ignore list"
efc

Post by efc »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I think it's about time this thread was locked. Thankfully I can't see any of efc's many posts now but I sense from the responses that we are very far away from Jarkko's original request for thoughts on what do do with the Politics section - except maybe to harden opinions on all sides.

Wendy

PS The thread probably needs to be moved from the News section as well. It's hardly "new" any more is it ...
This coming from someone who said she felt, re the "foe" facility, she was "totally liberated".

Free as a bird, baby.

Return to “News”