Other cohenesque music

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Henning

Other cohenesque music

Post by Henning »

If you are looking for more cohenesque music you should try these:

Will Oldham aka Bonnie Prince Billy aka Palace Brothers aka ...
(from Chicago)

Simon Joyner (Omaha, NE)

Timesbold (Band from Brooklyn)

Nick Cave (Aussie)

The Walkabouts (from Seattle)

Remarks:

While Nick Cave and the Walkabouts also use to show their rocky talents you will find beauty in the mildest melodies with the other three.

Chris Eckman and Carla Torgerson are the head of the Walkabouts and they have also released two duo CD's as "Chris and Carla". While Chris has released his second solo CD, Carla is actually working on her first one.

Carla Torgerson and Simon Joyner also sang on "Sixteen Haiku & Other Songs", a project by the greek band Sigmatropic from 2003.

I would start the Walkabouts with "Satisfied Mind" where they cover 12 songs of American artists. They did another covers only CD with songs from European artists called "Train leaves at eight". From there you can start to explore their own music and lyrics.

I would start Simon Joyner with "Hotel lives" from 2001. He is out with a new CD this ear and I am very keen to get it.

Timesbold are a new band from Brooklyn with their third CD now in a very short of time. Very fine singer Jason Merrit. Wonderful tunes.

Will Oldham and Bonnie Prince Billy are an odd couple. Its the same person in fact. Within two years now he has become my new hype. I have swallowed all is previous work now. Delicious. Everything about him is odd. His voice, his style, his outlook. He's unique and the new hero for guys like me.

Everybody knows .... Nick Cave.

Your personal service provider !!!!

Be sure I will add
more to this thread
as soon as I find
songs to buy blind

(I know you praise each day that im not in the songwriter business, see lyrics above)
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Hey Henning- I wish to comment on some of the bands\songwriters above, as many of them are some of my favorites.
Will Oldham\Bonnie P Billy just released an album called BPB sings greatest Palace Music and it is great. The recording style is much different but I think it works out well.
When you say cohenesque what do you mean?
I agree that in terms of "mood" these bands\writers are similar to Leonard but sound nothing like him. Thats a bit tough :D The Walkabouts are a great rock band, "Devil's Road" being my favorite record of theirs. Nick Cave... I think it goes without saying that he is brilliant. If you are a big Cave fan check out Scott Walker. Just recently got some stuff from a friend, very cool.
The band Tindersticks is one you should check out. Every record is good, "curtains" is one of my favorites. Carla (walkabouts) sings a song on their self-titled record.
The band Dirty Three features Warren Ellis on voilin (he is also a Bad Seed) and like the Tindersticks every album is good. Horse Stories and Ocean Songs are my favorites. Sorry man I'm ramblin here. Just got excited with your post. Send me a PM if you need any of these records, perhaps you have them already! All the best...
ep
Henning

Post by Henning »

Celly,

thnx for your comment. No need to apology for rambling, that's what boards are made for. Yes, I meant mood, because in fact, I have no idea what else cohenesque could be. Tindersticks did convince me with their latest album "Waiting for the moon" but still it is a long way to go for them to capture my heart. I like their violines but I hate his monotone monologes. Yes, Carla sang with them, too. I have one Dirty Three CD which didn't convince me at all. Ellis played with Nick as I remember. My favorite aussies are Nick Cave and Andrew Darbyshire.

Yes, Devils Road might be the best Walkabouts album. They have many rock songs, but also many ballads, I rather put them into alternative Country, but it is just a tag.

I got the new BPB yesterday. People discuss, if the world needed these rearrangements. I don't mind. I love it.

I have heard the name Scott Walker way too much now.I must check his stuff while you promise to check Simon Joyner's hotel lives.

Everybody loves Lucinda, I do, too. Gillian Welch, yes. Thalia Zedek in 2001 with a great version of "Dance me to the end of love", wonderful CD.

I forgot to mention Mark Lanegan, former screaming trees.

I stop here.

But with a question:

Are you planning to buy the digitally remastered Fleetwood Mac stuff ? It sounds tempting, doesn't it ?
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Henning

Thanks mate :D - I only wish I could approach Nick Cave's talent as a musician and performer (an arena I don't even figure in)!

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

8) Nick Cave 8) ~ a lovely discovery, thanks to this site and the 'networking' it brings.
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

Hey Henning- I love Gillian Welch. Have see her a couple of times and was in love. I will check out Simon Joyner. I've not heard of him before now. Belle and Sebastion is a great "pop with strings" band. One of my favorites. There are some new Tindersticks discs coming out soon if you are looking to give them another shot, old stuff, re-mastered...
Were you kidding about Fleetwood Mac? I love their music but a lot of people hate them and I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic :) Yes, I would buy the remasters...
ep
Henning

Post by Henning »

Andrew,

I am sure you're singing was perfect the night Chelsea beat Arsenal in the EC quarter finals (with a little help of former Borussia Keeper JL)

Celly,

I was serious about the Macs, its no rumour that Rumours is a jewel in the history of music.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Henning

I unfortunately didn't see this match - but I'm singing now in retrospect! :D

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
smccallon

Post by smccallon »

I saw Simon Joyner play last year at the Glass House in San Bernadino, California and they were terrible. I had high hopes for them in that I heard they were influenced by Leonard Cohen. I am not sure about their studio releases but on the night I saw them they were definitely off. The lyrics to their songs also did not seem anywhere near the level of Cohen's.
Just my opinion.

-Sean

Return to “News”