Cohen on the Grammys

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bridger15

Re: Cohen on the Grammys

Postby bridger15 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:21 pm

I uploaded a video of my laptop screen with LC's acceptance speech.
It is not the greatest, but maybe good enough for those who need a fix, anything by Leonard speaking. :D
I did not give it a lot of info on youtube because I don't want it found by other than the forum.
I will leave it up until a professional copy is uploaded and then I will pull it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2oN29cnDE

Sharon, did you or any one else hear him say 20 "thousand" angels rather than "27 angels"?

---Arlene

*EDIT* Here is a new link for LC’s acceptance speech at the special Grammys, January 30, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHSfAUJ_TUE

Sorry, I accidentally erased the first Youtube post. But I uploaded it again.

No jokes about my slippery finger, please.

btw. The acceptance speech clip had about 800 hits compared to LC’s arrival at the theatre with approx 1200 hits.

---Arlene
Last edited by bridger15 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Patrycja

Postby Patrycja » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Arlene, thanks so much for posting this as I missed it live. Really appreciate it! And I heard 20,000 angels for what it's worth.

The presenter seemed all but speechless at the end. It's heartwarming how appreciative the audience was of Leonard.
Will... If It Be Your Will
edlosi

Postby edlosi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi Arlene,
thank you so much for sharing the videos. :) And you look really great on the picture.

Isolde
Bill's Bar

Postby Bill's Bar » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi Arlene

Thanks for that. Yep, I heard the 20,000 angels. :D

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
AvidCohenFan

Postby AvidCohenFan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:07 pm

ladydi wrote:Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! Leonard looked and sounded so great! He also recited the Tower of Song when he was the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame recipient. At that time, as meaningful as it was, it seemed to be coming from someone whose career was over. As we know now, the best was about to happen! :D

But, why did he recite it now? As great as he sounded tonight, was that a goodbye? What, oh what, is happening with the tour? I somehow don't think I will have much sleep tonight. Is it once again another beginning? Or was it a farewell?

My heart is happy/sad.
I'm somewhat confused about him repeating the lyrics again - what, did he forget about the first time? - but at least they're great lyrics. I think the 'They're moving us tomorrow to that tower down the track but you'll be hearing from me, baby, long after I'm gone' lines mean that it isn't a farewell.
phillip

Postby phillip » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:08 pm

Brilliant am Glad he has won a Grammy he deserves it:)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Evie B

Postby Evie B » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:14 pm

bridger15 wrote:I uploaded a video of my laptop screen with LC's acceptance speech.
It is not the greatest, but maybe good enough for those who need a fix, anything by Leonard speaking. :D
I did not give it a lot of info on youtube because I don't want it found by other than the forum.
I will leave it up until a professional copy is uploaded and then I will pull it.

Sharon, did you or any one else hear him say 20 "thousand" angels rather than "27 angels"?

---Arlene
Arlene, I just loved your video of Leonard and Anjani arriving at the hall, that security guy was no match for you what with your camera in one hand and an Ouzi 9mm in the other! Seriously, great work, so glad you were there to capture the moment for us all. (I also just enjoyed your video of the induction into the Canadian Hall of Fame, somehow missed that previously.)
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Picture of Leonard receiving his award -

From Grammy.com -
http://www.grammy.com/photos/special-me ... il-portnow
Special Merit Awards: Leonard Cohen and Neil Portnow

Rick Diamond/WireImage.com

Leonard Cohen and Recording Academy President/CEO Neil Portnow at the Special Merit Awards and Nominee Reception on Jan. 30 at The Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:25 pm

And more mention of Leonard last night at Grammy.com -

http://www.grammy.com/blogs/distinguished-company
Distinguished Company
January 31, 2010 - 2:13am

By Bruce Britt

Leave it to Leonard Cohen, perhaps contemporary music's greatest living musical poet, to sum up the spirit of the Special Merit Awards Ceremony during his Lifetime Achievement Award acceptance speech Saturday at the Wilshire Ebell Theatre in Los Angeles. Dressed in a black suit and speaking in his trademark vampire baritone, the stubbly singer/songwriter thanked The Recording Academy for allowing him to be a part of "this distinguished company…as we make our way to the finish line that some of us have already crossed."

Sobering words. If we are to take away anything from Michael Jackson's senseless, unexpected death last year at age 50, it's that we must appreciate our heroes and loved ones before, and after, they cross over into the unknowable beyond. Appreciation is exactly what the annual Special Merit Awards are all about, and The Academy honored 12 legendary artists, innovators, companies, and behind-the-scenes technicians whose timeless works have helped improve the quality of lives worldwide.

Though Cohen's poetic, fateful words resounded throughout the event, other recipients delivered insightful stories and jokes that appealed more to the funny bone. A frail Clark Terry had to be helped to the stage, but not even illness could dampen the trumpeter's indomitable comic spirit. Hobbling down the stage in his wheelchair, the iconic jazz trumpeter joked that he was going to "keep doing it" until he got it right. Summing up his career, Delta blues singer/guitarist David "Honeyboy" Edwards stated that he "played a lot of blues out there…and I’m still 'knocking 'em dead." The son of late Scepter Records founder Florence Greenberg, who was there to accept a Trustees Award on her behalf, reminisced that "if you called her 'mother' at the office, our pay got docked."

Accepting the Lifetime Achievement Award for the late Bobby Darin, Dodd Darin struggled to compose himself as he remembered his dad. Flanked by his two school-aged daughters, Dodd shared how his multi-talented father was outraged that blacks were not allowed to perform at New York's legendary Copacabana, and recounted how he insisted black comic George Kirby open his show at the nightspot. The club's owner balked at the request, but Darin stood his ground and prevailed.

When the ancestors of phonograph inventor Thomas Alva Edison and country singer Loretta Lynn took the stage to accept awards for their famous elders, you couldn't help but think of their distinguished heredity. A Technical GRAMMY Award was given to pro audio company AKG Acoustics, the award-winning subsidiary of Harman International. Classical conductor/pianist André Previn (accepting his award via video presentation), country producer/guitarist Harold Bradley, and longtime GRAMMY telecast producer Walter C. Miller jammed the hilarity meter with their wry speeches.

Finally, former Michael Jackson manager Frank DiLeo took the stage to accept the Lifetime Achievement Award for his late client. Accepting the award for Jackson's three children, DiLeo told the hushed crowd the King of Pop had a tremendous sense of humor, which the singer would reveal when he watched the GRAMMYs. As DiLeo recalled, Jackson would phone him after a particularly weird acceptance speech and say, "Do you believe what that guy just said?" 

"Then he would laugh and hang up," DiLeo said.

While Jackson has crossed Cohen's proverbial finish line, his work — along with that of the rest of this year's Special Merit Awards class — will be appreciated and celebrated for many years to come.

(To view photos from the Special Merit Awards and other GRAMMY Week events, click here.)
http://www.grammy.com/channels/grammy-week-events
holydove

Postby holydove » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:16 pm

Arlene, I want to thank you for posting Leonard's acceptance speech, as I too missed the live stream - it is so moving and gratifying to see him receiving that award!

For what it's worth - I don't think Leonard's reciting of Tower of Song is necessarily a farewell; I think it's possible that he recited it at both award ceremonies because some of the lyrics have alot to do with acknowledgeing a heritage, or long chain, if you will, of singers/songwriters, through many generations, & that they are all somehow connected - that nothing happens "in a vaccuum" - it is a kind of vertical "interdependence" of musicians/songwriters. (Obviously, this theme is apropos to receiving music awards). At least, I hope it was more about that, than about a farewell (I did get a twinge of fear when he said "I bid you farewell", but I hope that fear was NOT based on any reality!)

And when he talks about moving toward "the finish line that some of us have already crossed. . .", I think he is talking about how we are all, at every moment, moving toward death; and, obviously, some of us have already crossed over; and last night, of course, Michael Jackson, who has recently crossed over, was on many people's minds, so that could be part of what spurred Leonard's words about "finish line. . ."etc.

Some of your posts have been making me cry - so, please, stop it! (joking about the "stop it" part - sort of. . .)
Inna

Postby Inna » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:20 pm

Thank you so much Arlene for making it available for us. Leonard looks wonderful.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:41 pm

holydove wrote: And when he talks about moving toward "the finish line that some of us have already crossed. . .", I think he is talking about how we are all, at every moment, moving toward death; and, obviously, some of us have already crossed over; and last night, of course, Michael Jackson, who has recently crossed over, was on many people's minds, so that could be part of what spurred Leonard's words about "finish line. . ."etc.
I took it exactly the same way. Well said.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Judith511

Postby Judith511 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Leonard so deserves this. :D :D Thank you so much for the videos.
Waterloo January 30 1975 , Hamilton June 3 2008, Toronto June 9 2008,
Cleveland October 25 2009 ,Toronto December 4th 2012
sharon.e

Postby sharon.e » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25 pm

bridger15 wrote:I uploaded a video of my laptop screen with LC's acceptance speech.

---Arlene
Arlene,
27 angels have indeed become 20 thousand angels last night, citing:
"and twenty THOUSAND angels from the great beyond, They tied me to this table right here in the tower of song"
LC's been surrounded by many more in past 18 months. many many more.
You can think of it as an LC special way to thank his devoted fans, for blissfuly "tying" him to the stage in the tower of song...

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:31 pm

There are some nice Getty images (with the Getty teethmarks of course). The Man looks happy. :D :D And I love that impeccably shaved stubble. :lol: :lol:

Here's the link to view more -

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... rd%20cohen
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News”