Leonard Cohen Fan Disorders Diagnoses Submitted

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
DrHGuy

Leonard Cohen Fan Disorders Diagnoses Submitted

Post by DrHGuy »

Thanks to the plethora of pathology prevalent on the Forum, I have been able to complete the data collection necessary to submit Cohenphilic Personality Disorder (301.LC), the first of several potential diagnoses endemic to the Leonard Cohen Fan population, to my colleagues from the American Psychiatric Association who are currently at work on the 5th edition of The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM V). One hopes that the long overdue official establishment of these diagnoses will be the first step in obtaining health insurance coverage for the costs of concerts, music recordings, and special events required to maintain those with these afflictions and allow them to live full, functional lives.

The criteria, cause, and treatment of Cohenphilic Personality Disorder, as well as relevant subtypes are available at http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/11/18/first ... -disorder/
Last edited by DrHGuy on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mutti

Re: Leonard Cohen Fan Disorders Diagnoses Submitted

Post by mutti »

Thank you Dr. H. Guy! This is absolutely perfect. I will now have something to tell my work colleagues to validate my addiction - that I am not alone in my madness! The DSM IV is used a lot at my workplace so this is refreshing to know about the new disorder specifically for Leonard Cohen fans in the new manual V. I am proud to have this disorder!
Thanks again!
PS loved the marquis post of the Webb sisters you did in Las Vegas...I saw it and almost ran out of the hotel at 2am looking to see it for myself. I did finally see it the next am and realized it was YOU who had posted this...thanks for the laugh.
You are brilliant!
Mutti (Leslie) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by mutti on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
seadove

Post by seadove »

What? :cry:
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

Thank you, Dr. Heck, for confirming my observation that forum members are certifiable ....

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

Thanks for the laugh. Great. Now I know who I am.
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

I showed by heart to the Doctor (H): he said I'd just have to quit.
The he wrote me a prescription,
Leonard's name was mentioned in it!

It's quite a relief to put a name on what I am suffering from.

Thanks for a really good laugh DrH :D

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

What a hoot! Thanks DrH for my laugh of the day :D :D I read it out to my work colleagues and they are feeling much better now, knowing that I might finally get the treatment I need.

Except.....I AM FINE. I have NO obsession. I don't wish to be cured. There is absolutely nothing wrong with dipping into your 401K, buying front row seats, flying all over the world, staying at first class hotels just "in case" Leonard and the crew may be there, and searching Amazon for every word ever written or video ever filmed of Leonard. As I said....I AM FINE. But, I am glad there is hope for all the others who may not realize their level of attachment.

Sincerely,
D Dahart
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I can hardly type for laughing so hard, shouting at the screen and shaking my head.

After I posted my San Jose Las Vegas slideshow, I thought I would relax for a while before finally unpacking my big suitcase four days after returning home. Then I made the huge mistake of going to Dr Heck's blog. There are no supra-superlatives in my toolbox to cover that blog. Allan, you are far above the lowly category of brilliant creative genius. I am still laughing, shaking my head and smiling like an idiot.

Now, please excuse me. I have to go back to your blog to read it again. Hey, a new addiction. Thanks a lot.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Rain

Post by Rain »

I think we should all meet somewhere and make a "fan film" of everybody sitting in a circle, like at an AA meeting and just say things like "Hello, my name is so and so and I have CPD...but I don't care." It would be a huge hit on YouTube!

One other reaction/symptom: You know the older cartoons where the character sees somebody they love and their eyes bulge and their heart is VISIBLE, pounding through their chest? That's kinda what happens to me when I see and especially HEAR Mr. Cohen; my heart rate goes WAY up.........and I'm a happily married woman! My husband has HRTWOWL (Husband Resigned To Wife's Obsession With Leonard) syndrome. It's apparently treatable at least, because he hasn't divorced me yet! ;-)
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

You nailed it! But you gave me an asthma attack I laughed so hard.
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

There ain't no cure. There ain't no cure!

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

That is my diagnosis? I agree. Leonard is a healer and his songs are medicine. The more patients will have Leonard, the better. :lol: :lol: :lol:
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

I will tell my children about this condition (as a recognised one) and maybe they will stop threatening to have me locked away because of my obsession :D
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

I have this disorder and I love it :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

hehe, many thanks to the good doctor for describing this rare but virulent condition. I'm glad sufferers now have a name to put to their collection of symptoms :D I'm trying to treat it with attendance at concerts next year, but it seems, as noted above, there ain't no cure...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept

Return to “News”