LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Mabeanie1

Re: LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:09 pm

A vaguely amusing postscript to the terrible experience of Valencia.

When I got back to work a couple of days after the Barcelona show, my work colleagues crowded round me in shock: is it true? what happened? were you there? etc etc They'd all seen the clip on the BBC news, they'd read about it in the newspaper - even the "quality" papers and the Sunday supplements, they'd received e-mail alerts about it and they wanted to hear all the details. Even now it continues with people I haven't seen since my trip to Spain. Business meetings no longer open with pleasantries about the weather. Instead it's "I saw it on television. Where you there? What happened?"

It's the first (and last?) time any of them have shown even the slightest interest in the phenomenon that has led me to throw all professional respectability and caution to the wind over the past 18 months to follow my obsession.

Their loss.

Wendy (with wry smile ....) :neutral:
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Mabeanie, the symptom known as 'rubber-necking' by the police, also applies to 'live' incidents shown on television.
Car drivers see a car crash on the other side of the motorway and 'rubber-neck' to have a good look at a tragedy as they drive passed on the other side of the road.
Similarly, anything closely resembling a 'live-tragedy' on television brings the voyeurs flocking to their screens.
Their only interest is in the fact that it was leonard and they knew you 'were there,' (erroneously) and that they could get some second hand 'buzz' by quizzing you about it. It hadn't registered with them that he was in Valencia when he collapsed and you and he were in Barcelona when he was as fit as a fiddle.
I'm afraid it's human nature.
Perhaps one or two of them will explore leonard's music/literature/history and who knows? Become new fans.

By the way, 18 months is a comparatively short term in 'obsession' terms when discussing leonard. You shall mellow with increased enjoyment, as time passes and leonard enters your life with more and more meaning. You will have to begin a 'collection' of CD's, DVD's and books, which will require the carpentry skills of a friendly cabinet maker, who will create a whole stack of shelves for your growing collection. Eventually you may posses all bootleg, foreign, obscure, international, national, and media regional performances done by leonard over decades. Your journey has only just begun...enjoy...

As for your friends and work colleagues, their loss.................................................................is their loss. ;-)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:50 pm

Byron wrote:
By the way, 18 months is a comparatively short term in 'obsession' terms when discussing leonard. You shall mellow with increased enjoyment, as time passes and leonard enters your life with more and more meaning. You will have to begin a 'collection' of CD's, DVD's and books, which will require the carpentry skills of a friendly cabinet maker, who will create a whole stack of shelves for your growing collection. Eventually you may posses all bootleg, foreign, obscure, international, national, and media regional performances done by leonard over decades. Your journey has only just begun...enjoy...

As for your friends and work colleagues, their loss.................................................................is their loss. ;-)
Byron - my obsession is .... 40 years old!!! I already have all the VINYL, books, CDs, DVDs, bootlegs, posters and much more. I had even been to shows before 2008 but it is only in the last 18 months that I have completely given in to the obsession!

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Blast, I misread wot you wroted. We'd hoped to begin 'a bring and buy sale,' to the Norwegian/Munich Mountain retreat weekend. Vans, wagons, lorries and a Reliant Robin have already been booked to transport huge quantities of 'goods' (no 'bads' allowed) to the Henning Mountain Schloss atop Mount Balding. Skidoos and sherpas are making their way there as I write. We've put an order in to hire leonard's jumbojet to carry most of the stuff across the Alps, where we'll discharge them via parachutes to the awaiting throng. ( 'Thong' in the case of German naturists ) But I'll just have to put all the stuff back in their especially built Ikea Cohen Wardrobe. Oh well. I apologise for my mistake, but please allow me this indiscretion, due to the change in my newest medication. :(
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:56 pm

Wendy and Byron,

With great interest, I read about your 'obsessions'. Is it an obsession or is it that we delve deeper and deeper into his words. To me, it is not an obsession, but an intellectual pursuit - yeah right, who am I kidding. I am obsessed and I like it :D .

If you haven't seen this yet (being obsessed, you probably have), but this is incredible!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18432&sid=39bebba86 ... 63#p197385

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Byron wrote:Blast, I misread wot you wroted. We'd hoped to begin 'a bring and buy sale,' to the Norwegian/Munich Mountain retreat weekend. Vans, wagons, lorries and a Reliant Robin have already been booked to transport huge quantities of 'goods' (no 'bads' allowed) to the Henning Mountain Schloss atop Mount Balding. Skidoos and sherpas are making their way there as I write. We've put an order in to hire leonard's jumbojet to carry most of the stuff across the Alps, where we'll discharge them via parachutes to the awaiting throng. ( 'Thong' in the case of German naturists ) But I'll just have to put all the stuff back in their especially built Ikea Cohen Wardrobe. Oh well. I apologise for my mistake, but please allow me this indiscretion, due to the change in my newest medication. :(
Please don't change your plans Byron! You can never have too much of a "goods" thing and I'm at a loose end now the European tour has finished.

W
Byron

Post by Byron » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:35 am

The beauty of being DDD, ( Daft, demented, decrepit, detached from reality and devoid of modern medication) is that my transcendental meanderings through Spain, Picos, Fjords and East Cheam, is that my grasp on reality is so tenuous that I fail to know what is actual and what is just a load of old tosh.
Given my propensity to be wrong most of the time, I can assume and so can you, that any utterances on my part, regarding your history of Cohenism, must most certainly be taken with a huge amount of salt and a good supply of disbelief.
I've been wrong before and by Jove, I shall be wrong again.

Return to “News”