The Incorrigible Poet . part I

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lightning

The Incorrigible Poet . part I

Postby lightning » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:45 am

I have just posted a translation of this interview from French TV, 1988, which Margaret sent me. As Leonard is heading for Tel Aviv soon, it is especially interesting to hear his perspective on Middle Eastern affairs back then ( same as now , I'm told).
Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKezNAqz ... annel_page
mnkyface

Re: The Incorrigible Poet . part I

Postby mnkyface » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am

Wonderful! I've never seen him do an all-French interview before. Love the color footage from the FWTM shoot. Thank you for ALL your wonderful videos lightning! I'm always thrilled when you put a new video up.

This came up in the related videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFMzlLBOdI
Not sure if there is any new LC there, between the actual music video and now having seen the color clips. Lots of Dominique Issermann shots. Is that LC at the end with a plastic bag over his head??

Interesting that they used the Joe Cocker cover. At first I was disappointed it wasn't the original song, but I realized the Cocker version gives it kind of a frantic energy, much like a film set would have.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Postby seadove » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:55 am

This is an interesting clip. Unfortunately I don't have a sound card on my work computer neither do I fully understand French, for that matter. So I have only read the translation which, as I understand it, your friend has provided, and for which I personally thank you both very much.

But as far as I read the translation, Lenny did not say so much other than in a very general way that the Middle East problem is not actually only the problem of the jews, but of the whole world. Other than this statement (and another one saying that two nations of one patronage are claiming this small piece of land) He did not elaborate further on about his personal opinion.

And frankly speaking I disagree with him on this. The Muslims have been offered Mecca and Meddina as their holy cities by the Prophet Muhammed himself, And they are now more than a billion strong with territories spanning as far as Asia and now they have silently conquered Europe and England.

The Jews have rightfully claimed this land as their own with Jerusalem as the holy capital and they have already provided vast territories in Gaza and the West Bank for the Nomads (who call themselves Palestinians) that have come from Egypt and Jordan/Syria and have settled on that part of Israel but are wrongfully claiming that they are the so called Palestinian Natives of the country when actually there was never a recognized country called Palestina. In this case the jews who were living in Israel at that time are also Palestinians.

And so many Muslim (and Christian) countries cannot be satisfied with what they have and leave the jews with a wee little country for them to live safely? It's the only way and place they can survive.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks, lightning, for this. I have this DVD, also from Jarkko, it's the same one where that strange clip of Manhattan is added. I do not know any French so this was enlightening to learn what's going on in this interview. As there's full DVDR of talk shows in French, I do hope that if there's any other of interest, you'll subtitle it also;)
AvidCohenFan

Postby AvidCohenFan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:12 pm

Very interesting clip. I wish an interviewer would ask him what he thinks of Brel on TV.
seadove wrote: they have silently conquered Europe and England.
I don't think they have...
seadove

Postby seadove » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:29 am

AvidCohenFan wrote:Very interesting clip. I wish an interviewer would ask him what he thinks of Brel on TV.
seadove wrote: they have silently conquered Europe and England.
I don't think they have...
Well okey then. Not "silently" conquered.....

Return to “News”