IrishAl/albertnoon - Premier Cohen Concert Videographer

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
DrHGuy

IrishAl/albertnoon - Premier Cohen Concert Videographer

Post by DrHGuy »

IrishAL (AKA albertnoonan in YouTube-speak), as many forum members know, has produced a set of remarkably high quality, engaging audience-shot videos of a number of Leonard Cohen World Tour concerts, including, most recently, the shows in Dublin, Belfast, and Lisbon. Perhaps because I can rarely take a recognizable still photo of my kids, I am overwhelmed by IrishAl's ability to consistently capture well focused, entertaining, and complete videos of a stage performance under the constraints of filming from a seat in the audience. He has, I believe, significantly enhanced the World Tour experience for all of us.

Consequently, I thought forum members might be interested to know that IrishAl has succumbed to my requests to tell a bit about himself, how he came to be interested in Leonard Cohen, and how he shoots those great videos. The result, which is primarily his work and should be credited to him (although I did write the headings and insert an image of the camera he uses), is "Albert Noonan – The Man Behind The Camera Of Those Great Leonard Cohen Concert Videos," posted on my Heck Of A Guy blog at http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/08/07/alber ... rt-videos/
Womanfromaroom

Re: IrishAl/albertnoon - Premier Cohen Concert Videographer

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Thank you both! Very informative - and well deserved, IrishAl! I am happy to think that you will be recording Barcelona, too, my seat is going to be so far away from the stage that I will no doubt appreciate the opportunity to get a close look on Youtube later... And, of course, your videos provide such a great impression of concerts I have not attended...
So, well done, IrishAl and DrHGuy!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

DrHGuy - Thank you for providing us with this information on Albert. His video taping of the concerts are the ulitimate best we have seen to date. It was so interesting to learn a little bit about his life with Marie and the processes that have brought him to this stage of his video craft. The details of how he achieves this sucess was most informative. And then, the questions you put to him and his answers were 'the icing on the cake' and what delicious icing it is! Thank you again also to Albert (and Marie, because she takes a mean video herself!) for this priceless archive he has given us!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Congratulations Albert.. this commendation is so well deserved. I tried to video a few songs but my arm got sore holding the camera steady lol.

We will always have the Irish tour now to look back on with your amazing camera work.

Best wishes
Tinders
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Yes, congratulations to you both and delighted to have met you in Dublin and Belfast, both lovely and friendly people. Your videos are superb and a great record of the tour.
Enjoy your 20th in Barcelona.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Thanks Irish Al. Perhaps you would consider organising a showing of your best videos sometime for Forum members at some suitable venue (preferably in Limerick). It woud also be en excuse to get together.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera »

Thanks to MHGuy and IrishAl for an illuminating interview.

I was talking to Tony Billsbar yesterday about the idea of having an annual Leonard event in Ireland to help us mad Irish fans cope with the impending end of the tour. Is this something that might interest people on this emerald isle of ours?

To get the ball rolling I am willing to collate ideas and suggestions - you can PM me.

JD - let's take your idea for a video gathering as the first in what will hopefully be a long list of imaginative ideas. Not sure if Limerick is central enough - how about the outdoor cinema in Hydra!!!!!!!

In song. Paula
2008 - RHK Dublin x 2, Lucca, Birmingham
2009 - Dublin x 2, Barcelona, Nashville
2010 - Marseille, Las Vegas X 2
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Fantastic, thanks IrishAL and DrHGuy. Glad to hear IrishAl will be at Barcelona, for all of us unable to attend we'll have some top-quality film to watch :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

I am so glad somebody started this thread so that I can add my heartfelt thanks to Albert for the wonderful videos he has recorded allowing us all to share in the concerts we have been unable to go to. As time has gone by during the tour it has become apparent how important these recordings have been and will continue to be in all sorts of different ways, and we will be able to watch them for many years to come. The same applies to others who have also made recordings, we are all in your debt.

Evie B
Last edited by Evie B on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Paula

Post by Paula »

I second what Evie B has said. I would not know where to start doing something like this and it is so nice that not only is someone very good at doing it they are also happy to share.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

I would like to add my public thanks to IrishAL and also to DrHGuy for taking the trouble to write the article that has prompted this thread.
It was great to find out a little more about the man behind the camera.
I very much appreciate the effort and skill that has gone into producing the videos and I would like to nominate IrishAL for the "Forum Roll of Honour"
(If there is one!), in the category of "Outstanding Forum Contributors".
(I did nominate IrishAl for the Academy Award for Best Cinematography but he unfortunately lost out to Anthony Dod Mantle for "Slumdog Millionaire.")
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

I'm pleased and amazed to find this thread, I hadn't bothered much with the YouTubes since the first part of the tour, but just yesterday I ventured back on and found a beautifully shot video of "Heart with no Companion" at Weybridge. A quick mental note to self to check the video author and come back later to check for more and I headed for this board to let everybody know. Sadly the phone rang and I got totally distracted by matters of huge importance to someone else (as you do :) ).

Happily this thread has reminded me to seek it out again and sure enough, the author is none other than Mr Noonan. So thankyou Albert, and for everyone else (only 290 viewings so far!) here it is. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuumY6ZUjM
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And there is lots of interesting things happening in the video of this country/western song. :lol: Some terrific solos - Bob Metzger on slide guitar (1:40). I love Dino's harmonica solo at about 2:00!! And is that thunder we hear at 2:35 and 2:40 while Neil Larsen is giving us some great honkytonk piano? :lol: :lol: And good view of the Angels at 2:30.

I greet you from the other side
Of sorrow and despair
With a love so vast and shattered
It will reach you everywhere
And I sing this for the captain
Whose ship has not been built
For the mother in confusion
Her cradle still unfilled
For the heart with no companion
For the soul without a king
For the prima ballerina
Who cannot dance to anything
Through the days of shame that are coming
Through the nights of wild distress
Tho' your promise count for nothing
You must keep it nonetheless
You must keep it for the captain
Whose ship has not been built
For the mother in confusion
Her cradle still unfilled
For the heart with no companion ...
I greet you from the other side ...
audies

Post by audies »

Came across this thread while looking for a version of the Heart with no companion from this tour. The weybridge video is excellent. My memory from venice was that they played at a faster tempo. Maybe it was my imagination.
One of my fav Cohen "live versions" !
Kilmainham x 3 / Lucca x 1 / O2 Dublin x 3 / Venice x 1 / Prague x 1 / Sligo x 2 / Bratislava x 1
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I would like to "second the motion" proposed by DrHGuy.
We want Noonan Noonan Noonan

http://1heckofaguy.com/
The Leonard Cohen Concert Onstage Video Proposal

So, roust Albert Noonan, premier audience videographer of Leonard Cohen concerts, out of his seat in the audience and transport him and his camera onto the stage.

The US performances may prove to be Leonard Cohen’s final concerts. Their memorial and entertainment value would be greatly enhanced if they were filmed from onstage by someone who is given over to Cohen’s music and who can move about and react to what is going at that moment in that show.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “News”