Rufus Wainwright dedicates a song to Leonard's daughter?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Rufus Wainwright dedicates a song to Leonard's daughter?

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:10 pm

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a rare ticket for Rufus Wainwright's solo performance on Sunday, 12th July 2009 as part of the Manchester International Festival.

He has been in Manchester to oversee the premiere of his opera Prima Donna.

He dedicated the song Little Sister to "all the women in my life" and thanked them all for travelling to Manchester to support him and his venture.

Amongst the names he mentioned were the inevitable Kate (his mother) and Martha (his sister).....and then Lorca.

I presume that this was indeed Mister Cohen's daughter?

After all, how many ladies called Lorca do you know...?!
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
sanneka

Re: Rufus Wainwright dedicates a song to Leonard's daughter?

Post by sanneka » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Yes, in the movie "I am your man" Rufus Wainwright speaks about the first time he met Leonard Cohen, as a friend of his Daugther Lorca
Susanne
cpl593h

Re: Rufus Wainwright dedicates a song to Leonard's daughter?

Post by cpl593h » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 pm

Born With The Gift Of A G wrote:I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a rare ticket for Rufus Wainwright's solo performance on Sunday, 12th July 2009 as part of the Manchester International Festival.

He has been in Manchester to oversee the premiere of his opera Prima Donna.

He dedicated the song Little Sister to "all the women in my life" and thanked them all for travelling to Manchester to support him and his venture.

Amongst the names he mentioned were the inevitable Kate (his mother) and Martha (his sister).....and then Lorca.

I presume that this was indeed Mister Cohen's daughter?

After all, how many ladies called Lorca do you know...?!
Damn! Rufus played a Manchester solo gig, just over the hills from where we live, and i didn't know? aaaaarrgghhh!!!!!!!!!! when/how was it announced? and, more importantly, how on earth did i miss it?!!!

Return to “News”