QUIZ: where is the last concert of the tour?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
mango

Re: QUIZ: where is the last concert of the tour?

Post by mango »

Santa Barbara (my second guess)
Mango
Amsterdam 1972, Seattle 2009
Darling

Post by Darling »

OK, I'll go south for my second guess: Buenos Aires?
Tinkie

Post by Tinkie »

Ok let's be crazy
My second guess is Brussels
Tinkie

2008 : Lisboa, Vienna, Brussels 2x, Manchester - 2009 : Cologne, Antwerp, Lisboa, Barcelona
2010 : Gent 3x, Lille, Las Vegas 2x -2012 : Gent 5x, Verona, Paris, Lisboa -2013 : Paris, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin, Dublin, Amsterdam
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Okay, I think the last concert will be in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Did you know that the Academy of Music where Leonard played on May 12th is the oldest opera house in the USA (inaugural concert in 1857)? It is a gorgeous venue filled with wood sculptures, intricate ceiling murals and a beautiful chandelier. The hall has excellent acoustics (in spite of complaints by some arrogant conductors over the years), and was home to the Philadelphia Orchestra from the earlier 1900's through 2001 (when they moved a block away to the new Kimmel Center). Years ago, someone told me that when the Academy was built, the roof was aged in manure in accordance with a theory that this would result in acoustical excellence. I have never been able to verify this fact, but it does sound impressive! The venue has not yet been appropriated by the likes of Live Nation et al. and generally speaking the the ushers there are actually still like real people. :)

Philadelphia is a fairly easy commute for people from the whole East Coast area (New York City is only 80 miles away) and there are many excellent hotels in the Center City area near the venue. The city always welcomes tourists from all over the world. Philadelphia actually served as the nation's first capital while Washington, DC was under construction. I do not know what the weather will be like on the date of the last concert, but we are presently being blessed with lovely weather - so it is possible (good weather). :lol:

In any event, I think that the Academy of Music in Philadelphia would be a lovely place for a last concert to this remarkable tour! I am late to the game here, so this is my first guess and, for now, is my final answer. :lol: :lol:
stfa

Post by stfa »

Fredricton! Back where it all started to say thank you!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
glasgowgirl

Post by glasgowgirl »

ooooooh now, this is difficult! I know where I would like it to be - Glasgow or Cardiff's Millenium Centre but I doubt very much whether my wishes will come true :( happen so I guess it could be New York
stfa

Post by stfa »

I'm tempted to say Saguenay Quebec- but I'll leave that for Darling!
For my second guess I'll say Kitchener Ontario- that was a great night the first time!
(and for a third guess - if it is allowed - how about Washington DC?)
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

He likes country music, so my first guess is Branson, Missouri.

Arlene has already picked Tampa and I like that answer, but she's already got it. The southeast has not been done yet. Tampa has the venues. Jarkko said something about not having a 'direct hit' yet. Courage had picked St. Petersburg and maybe it didn't count as a 'direct hit' because it's next to Tampa and not actually Tampa.

Along the southeast theme, my second guess is Sarasota, Florida. The Van Wezel hall, right on the water, has fantastic acoustics!

It's going to be the southeast, cause Lizzy lives in Florida and we all know she is the 'Queen of Posts' 8) :D . This will be the place so that she will not have too much difficulty getting to the concert :D .
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
goldstei

Post by goldstei »

Ann Arbor, Michigan
digurere

Post by digurere »

Monte Carlo, Monaco
ssan

Post by ssan »

where did he write Chelsea Hotel?

Miami Beach ;-)

ps: dinner party for the members of the forum at the "Polynesian Restaurant". Bring your own porcelain coconut shells.
douglas07

Post by douglas07 »

OK, you may guess once more again - our winner is the member who is the first to name the city.

Ok Jarkko, for once in my Life i try to be first and i name the following cities:
Espoo-Helsinki-Stockholm-Göteborg-Oslo-Aarhus-Copenhagen-Roskilde-Hamburg-Antwerp-Bruxelles-Amsterdam-Munich-Vienna-Verona..... :)

***just one city in the second guess accepted! 8) / Jarkko ***
1970s "Beautiful Loosers"; 1980s "Poems of ..."
UH Tour: Oslo-Copenhagen-Cologne; Odense; OI-Tour:Ghent-Odense
smelder

Post by smelder »

I'm going with Barcelona.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I just wanted to add something - in connection with my first guess - about the last show from the tour being in Philadelphia.

It is this: I really don't mind if a show in Philadelphia is a merely "next to the last." Don't mind at all.

;-) 8)

Glory be to the father, and to the son, and the whole East Coast.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Darling

Post by Darling »

stfa wrote:I'm tempted to say Saguenay Quebec- but I'll leave that for Darling!
:D Thanks stfa. I didn't dare to hope for Saguenay as the last concert, so I went for Fredericton as my first guess, thinking that it could mean a visit to all the ''pretour'' places which would make me (and you, I'm sure) perfectly happy... Keep on dreaming. ;-)

Return to “News”