Live at the Isle of Wight (1970) > BluRay/DVD/CD/LP

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
B4real

Re: Leonard Cohen Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 Coming In Sept.

Post by B4real »

I'm agreeing with all of you and I just can't wait to get the DVD/CD box-set. I feel it will be a different Leonard to the one most have been accustomed to and I will love it :D
B4real
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
kwills

Post by kwills »

I have my birthday in October,hmm, wonder what I'll get as a present!
:D :D :D
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generala ... fid1=40223
Leonard Cohen’s Classic Isle of Wight Performance Gets the Deluxe-Redux Treatment
7/29/2009 By Jason Schreurs

Fans of the deep baritone voice of Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen will be reaching for the bass controls on their television remote come September 29 when My Sad and Famous Songs: Leonard Cohen Live at the Isle of Wight – 1970 is released on double CD/DVD.

The classic performance has been in the archives since it was recorded and is highly coveted footage for any self-respecting Cohen-head. According to MusicTap, the new release on Legacy Recordings will include the complete audio of the concert on CD, with visual accompaniment on DVD, which also includes interviews with Kris Kristofferson, Joan Baez and Judy Collins. Yes, you heard us right, folks, Judy Collins.

Cohen’s inclusion at the Isle of Wight Festival was a career highlight, playing alongside such greats as the Doors, the Who, Baez and Jimi Hendrix. The festival is widely recognized as the largest live music event of its time, with estimated attendance numbers ranging from 600,000 to 800,000 people.

Besides the Wight release, Cohen recently released another live DVD package, Live in London, on Columbia Records. He's also finishing up a European tour before doing a U.S. stint in mid- to late October. Tour dates are listed here.

Oh, and we can’t believe we got through this whole news item without a single use of the words “bard” or “poet.” Success!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Fans of the deep baritone voice of Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen will be reaching for the bass controls on their television remote come September 29 when My Sad and Famous Songs: Leonard Cohen Live at the Isle of Wight – 1970 is released on double CD/DVD.
Well, in 1970 his voice was golden (on IOW bootlegs particularly slow and melancholic) so we won't be tuning our bass controls this time!
the new release on Legacy Recordings will include the complete audio of the concert on CD, with visual accompaniment on DVD, which also includes interviews with Kris Kristofferson, Joan Baez and Judy Collins
Forgive me my lousy English, what does this mean: that the whole concert is also on DVD, or just "visual accompaniment" (meaning: accompaniment, bonus tracks, not the whole show)?
Pope

Re: My Sad and Famous Songs: Live at the Isle of Wight > DVD/CD

Post by Pope »

Good question Tom. But they must have filmed it all to make the film that was later released of the festival, n'est pas?

How are you, by the way Tom?

Best wishes
Glyn
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Tom Sakic wrote:
the new release on Legacy Recordings will include the complete audio of the concert on CD, with visual accompaniment on DVD, which also includes interviews with Kris Kristofferson, Joan Baez and Judy Collins
Forgive me my lousy English, what does this mean: that the whole concert is also on DVD, or just "visual accompaniment" (meaning: accompaniment, bonus tracks, not the whole show)?
Sounds to me like a pretentious way of saying that you can either listen to the concert on CD or watch it on DVD! At least I hope so, I'll be very disappointed if it's only extracts and not the whole thing, why would they do that?
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Pope

Post by Pope »

It had better be the whole concert on dvd, I shall be so disappointed other wise.
g.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Murray Lerner, who directed the movie Message of Love, and later released Jimmy Hendrix show from the festival, shot the whole festival - also, the complete Leonard's show. I recall that first news about this DVD came from him, last year ( viewtopic.php?p=141709#p141709 )

All the time I was thinking it's DVD with the full show, then we learned there's also CD (what I like, as I don't watch music DVDs at all, and LC's IOW is great show so I really like the CD is coming with the set) - but now, they got me confused. It would be OK if the logic is that DVD is the main release, and CD is its soundtrack bonus, but now PR says that CD is the central in this release, and there's "visual accompaniment on DVD ... also includes interviews" (!).

Let's hope for the best.

(I'm glad to see you also back on line, Glyn;)
cohenfreek

Post by cohenfreek »

Hmmm...I found this site, http://www.blurt-online.com/news/view/2592/, wherein the MusicTap 'announcement' is quoted in the following manner:

According to MusicTap, it will be a 2-disc CD/DVD set "with the complete audio of the concert on the CD, and the complete visual experience on DVD that also includes newly shot interviews with Kris Kristofferson, Joan Baez, and Judy Collins."

Unless the author from the Blurt site mis-quoted MusicTap, maybe we CAN expect the full performance on DVD...(hopefully!)
This mental space is occupied and everything is mine
London (ON) June 6 1993/Kitchener June 2 2008/Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009/Ottawa December 2012
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

I've never tried including images here before. Hope this works

View from the hill, where we spent Saturday, but by late evening the task of staying on the hill in a slippery sleeping bag became too much, and we retired to our tent, missing a few small bands like the Doors, the Who, etc!
I guess all of us "oldies" can see ourselves in the picture, but was I that one, or that one, or..........

This more like my view on Sunday when, refreshed by sleeping through Mr Hendrix last ever performance :cry: I made my way up front to catch the man I'd come to see.

And here he is, I'd managed to pick my way through the sleeping bodies nearly to the front although as John E has said, there was a huge pit, and I wasn't invited anything like this close.

I'm a little perturbed by comments on Leonard's "hippy" clothes. He WAS wearing a smart suit, relatively speaking! :D

Enjoy the DVD folks, but don't expect it to be much like the current concerts. Our man has learned much about performance over the years, not least how to surround himself with great musicians.

more excellent pics and stories on http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/iow70-site.html
Pope

Post by Pope »

These are superb. And its how we want to see him, those of us who remember him that far back. Sometimes you can be too slick.
Glyn
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

brokenhill,

These are absolutely wonderful photos!!!! Thank you for posting them.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jerry

Post by jerry »

The release date for this looks like it's been pushed back a month to Oct 20.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen

Return to “News”