Leonard nominated for MOJO Best Live Act

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MaryB

Re: Leonard nominated for MOJO Best Live Act (VOTE now!)

Post by MaryB »

TheSpice-BoxOfEarth wrote: The MOJO Best Live Act (sponsored by José Cuervo)
Presenter: Bert Jansch
Winner: Fleet Foxes[/b]
How disheartening. I would have thought there would have been enough forum members here that would have voted to make sure that the Best Live Act would have been our own beloved Leonard!

Sad Regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Re: Leonard nominated for MOJO Best Live Act

Post by mnkyface »

LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :roll: :shock:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 »

We need a "thumbs down" smilie here. And I would fill the page with them.

:( :shock: :cry: :roll: :x :x :x
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

lonndubh wrote:The MOJO Icon Award (sponsored by EMI Music Catalogue Marketing)
Winner: Phil Lynott - collected by Scott Gorham
:) :) :) :)
Attachments
Philip_Lynott_Dublin_Statue.jpg
kwills

Post by kwills »

The MOJO Lifetime Achievement Award (sponsored by Sony Music)
Winner: Yoko Ono
:?: :!: :shock:
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
Darling

Post by Darling »

Tssss... :( :!: :( :!: :roll: :roll:
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

I've never heard of Fleet who? Fleetwood Mac yes, Fleet foxes...nooooooooooo!!! :roll:
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Come on now everybody, someone must be able to think of something Yoko Ono contributed somewhere along the line, apart of being a pain in the a** - enlighten me if you can please.

Some very weird choices, though I suppose it depends on the nominations. Joe Brown, I seem to remember, had a hit somewhere back in the dark ages.Damon, is quite creative though Blur as a whole I am not so sure. Elbow's 'Day' is something of a masterpiece.

On the whole, I am rather glad Leonard did not win as I am not sure that the company he would be in as a winner is all that illustrious.

Fleet Foxes, are they some sort of Hampshire urban scavengers that come out at night and make a noise like rattling dustbin lids?

I look back at what I have written and realise I should be auditioning for 'Grumpy Old Women'.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

Evie B, what is it about the name Evie? Are we all "grumpy old women?" In any event, I have to agree with you that it is just as well Leonard did not win, given the company he would be keeping. :roll: :lol:

My grumpy best,
Evie T (aka Eve Waldman)
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

i have seen Fleet Foxes live - in fact i saw them play Whelan's in Dublin the night before i saw Leonard in Dublin last year. they're good, but they're not that good!!!

Leonard's shows have been in a whole other league - shame he didn't get the vote
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

It may be because we have such a lot of bother with hissing serpents and people stealing our apples, added to the hard work of being temptresses - enough to make anybody grumpy.
evewaldman wrote:Evie B, what is it about the name Evie? Are we all "grumpy old women?" In any event, I have to agree with you that it is just as well Leonard did not win, given the company he would be keeping. :roll: :lol:

My grumpy best,
Evie T (aka Eve Waldman)
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lonndubh - if that statute is mean to be Phil Lynott the artist needs shooting.

None of these "polls" ever make any sense to me every time they announce the winners of these things I always think "WTF" where did that come from.

Yoko Ono, if she had not been married to John Lennon I am not sure many people would have heard of her :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

Paula wrote:Lonndubh - if that statute is mean to be Phil Lynott the artist needs shooting.
Hi Paula-yes there are a lot of different opinions about this piece of art.
The pose is very good though :!:
Its on Harry St off Grafton st if you are up that way,
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Evie B wrote:Come on now everybody, someone must be able to think of something Yoko Ono contributed somewhere along the line, apart of being a pain in the a** - enlighten me if you can please... I look back at what I have written and realise I should be auditioning for 'Grumpy Old Women'.
Dear Grumpy Old Evie B,

When I visited Budapest in 1996, I took a tour of the historic Great Synagogue and surrounding area. The old Jewish quarter was in ruins after abuse by the Nazis and neglect by the Communists. Our guide pointed to one of the buildings being restored and told us it was bought by Yoko Ono to be used for an Art Gallery. I read recently that Yoko is still maintaining this historical building as a recording studio.

And how about this...
Contemporary artist Yoko Ono will be honoured at the 2009 Venice Biennale with a Golden Lion Award for Lifetime Achievement.

Yoko Ono, along with California conceptual artist John Baldessari, is one of two artists singled out for their enduring influence in the avant-garde of contemporary art at this year’s Biennale, the 53rd International Art Exhibition in Venice.

Biennale director Daniel Birnbaum emphasised the international scope of the exhibition in the selection of both Ono and Baldessari for the prestigious prize. “The Golden Lions for Lifetime Achievement are celebrating two artists whose avant-garde work has opened new possibilities of poetic, conceptual and social expression for artists around the world, who work through all types of language,” said Birnbaum.
Yours truly,
---Someone
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

She received that award in Venice 10 days ago or so, and the event received large media coverage (and some controversy did she deserve it).

Return to “News”