LC interview with Jian Ghomeshi on CBC - aired this morning

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Cate

Re: LC interview with Jian Ghomeshi on CBC - aired this morning

Post by Cate » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:25 pm

I thought this was a very good interview, with both gentleman seeming relaxed and comfortable with each other. As for the death questions, Jian's human and as he said after the interview finished, death has been weighing on his mind. Leonard mentioned Irving Layton a few times during the interview, I think his old friend was on his mind, I wish Jian had followed up with some questions about Mr. Layton. I think Leonard would have liked to have spoken about him and I certainly would have loved to hear a story or two. Leonard said that he's been reading a great deal of Layton lately, I would have loved to hear Leonard read a piece of Irving's poetry...or even which pieces he's been thinking about lately.
Leonard really does seem to be a lovely and welcoming man, he even gave Jian a bit of a plug for being musician himself.

Thank you for posting the link Paula,

Cate
Eskimo

Post by Eskimo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Jonnie Falafel wrote:I don't think we can entirely blame Mr. Ghomeshi for the quesions. LC first brought death into the conversation when he was talking about the third act ending in the death of the central protagonist..... "and we're all the central figure in the drama of our own lives"
Mr. Ghomeshi may have researched his subject to a fault - he was aware of how questions that had been asked before had been answered and of other statements LC has made. For example, in regard to the Cobain question criticized above, Leonard has said "I'm sorry I couldn't have spoken to the young man. I see a lot of people at the Zen Centre, who have gone through drugs and found a way out that is not just Sunday school. There are always alternatives, and I might have been able to lay something on him". In some ways, I thought Jian was going more for a "greatest hits" type of interview than aiming at something new that would be insightful to the longterm fan (e.g., pursuing the Layton topic). I felt Jian did a good job at what he chose to do. During the time allotted for the interview, Jian had to decide whether to stay "on course" or deviate. I would have preferred the latter but I understand why Jian did as he did for the target audience.

Structuring the interview along the "life as a play" metaphor was interesting in that I believe Truman Capote is the originator of the quote "life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act" rather than Tennesse Williams to whom LC and Jian attribute it.
Last edited by Eskimo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dick

Post by dick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Eskimo

Thanks for the Piaf lyrics and the Capote attribution....
Mondomando

Post by Mondomando » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Whether you care for Mr Gomeshi or not, the real focus here was definately Leonard Cohen and I thought his gracious and generous spirit shone.

In our youth obsessed culture, it is truly wonderful to see an elder artist not only aging with grace but also being sought out for his insights and wisdom. For this I am very grateful ... and I am beside myself in anticipation of Mr. Cohen's performance in Winnipeg later this month.

Daevid
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:08 pm

What a pleasure to watch this interview.
I hope we do get to hear Leonard singing when he is 82.
He said at the end, did you get anything interesting ? :D Well for me, everything he says is interesting.... ' we cycle between anxiety and self confidence' ...........'the heart is always opening and closing'............ im sure i didnt get these word for word but i will watch it again.
He has such style and charisma too.
Thanks for the link Paula.
rmm

Post by rmm » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:14 am

Ah yes, Jian Ghomeshi - he's always rubbed me a bit the wrong way for some reason, and once the camera was off it was like his personality was completely different. I would imagine the pressure of the interview would get to anyone, though... you're sitting in Leonard's living room - most of us would probably just sit there on the couch feeling surreal :D Although I'm sure Leonard has gotten used to that, and then the fans who need to hug and throw undies at him.

I love the line from the field notes article - "We introduce ourselves individually and he shakes hands with each one of us in turn, repeating “How do you do? I’m Leonard”. Then, “Would anyone like a coffee? I’ve just made a fresh pot.” - no handlers for him making coffee :D Just one of the lovely images which illustrate how humble he really seems to be. I don't know if it's just a great admixture of being Canadian, Zen and at piece with his life (I'm only the first one, sadly - may never get the other two), but his personality and essence just seems so sweet. It's heartening to see someone so humble in this time of self promotion - maybe it's being an artist that has one be uncertain that they've ever really achieved success. Anyway, thanks for posting it. Did this air completely uninterrupted on the CBC, or did they splice it into sections? I've never watched the "Q" (I'm in the States now) - last I saw Jian was hosting The Hour, I think?
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:50 am

rmm, Jian has never hosted The Hour - not to my knowledge at any rate. Perhaps as a guest host. Could you be confusing him with George Stroumbolopolous? (I don't really know how to spell his name properly, my apologies). George is the regular host of The Hour on CBC TV. I don't much like him or that show for that matter. Jian is the host of the CBC Radio One Morning show Q - it is primarily a radio show, but CBC does film the interviews and they are available on youtube and on Q's website. It took me a while to warm up to Jian, but I think he is very good and I enjoy Q. If you have seen his interview with Billy Bob Thorton from two weeks ago you may gain a new appreciation for Jian. Look for it on youtube. You can catch Q on Serious Radio in the States and probably online at cbc.ca/q

The National played a spliced up portion of the LC interview, mixed with music. It was about a 12 minute piece I think. Then it aired in full on Q on Thursday morning, available shortly thereafter on youtube and cbc.ca/q.

Jian was also in the band Moxy Fruvous in the 1990s.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:42 pm

I liked the death question. :)
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:30 am

I thought it was an interesting interview, wish there could have been more of Leonard talking and less footage, although I was intrigued by that very early footage of him singing The Stranger Song in black and white, would like to see more of that! (is it around anywhere?). The interviewer seemed to be dwelling on death a bit, although Leonard didn't look too bothered. All in all, great to see :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:56 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:I thought it was an interesting interview, wish there could have been more of Leonard talking and less footage,
Here's the full 40 minute interview... (from another thread on this forum)
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/ ... interview/
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Does anyone else think that Cohen unintentionally repeated 'Judy Collins' when he was talking about folk musicians around when he released Songs of Leonard Cohen?
philw2008

Post by philw2008 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 pm

I wasn't so keen on the death questions but I thought the Hallelujah answers were funny and interesting.
philw2008

Post by philw2008 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm

PS. Here's the Watchmen review he refers to.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/movies/06Watc.html

"By the way, can we please have a moratorium on the use of this song in movies? Yes, I too have heard there was a secret chord that David played, and blah blah blah, but I don’t want to hear it again. Do you?"
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:59 pm

wakeupmartin wrote:
somewhat_nifty wrote:I thought it was an interesting interview, wish there could have been more of Leonard talking and less footage,
Here's the full 40 minute interview... (from another thread on this forum)
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/ ... interview/
D'oh! I must have missed that - that answers my request nicely :D thanks a lot.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
st theresa

Post by st theresa » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for posting Paula--I actually took a radio to a massage session so I could listen during .... how crazy is that??? The masseur was fine with it though--in fact he had suggested it when I said I was going to have to miss one or the other... Like others on this thread, I kind of felt like Jian had focused a bit too much on death, but then, his self-revelation at the end of the interview kind of explained that. He did seem a little star struck, which is not like Jian, but then look who he was interviewing. I sometimes wondered how I would respond in Leonard's presence, have even dreamed about it on occasion. I have heard about his legendary humility, and graciousness, but in some ways, that would make it even more difficult. I would so not want to impose on him. In the light of the wider consideration of who Leonard Cohen is, I still think Jian did a tremendous job. There must have been so many questions, that he couldn't ask --he really tried to probe on some more personal things, and Leonard gently rebuffed him. I have spent hours poring over some of the earlier interviews of Leonard, and it is amazing that he has never really changed, but that in the earlier interviews, many considered him arrogant. For a young man to talk the way that Leonard did, was difficult for many interviewers to countenance. Perhaps that is why he is able now to be so gentle with young interviewers.
Just an aside--some physical commonalities between the young Leonard and Jian--I think. 8)

Return to “News”