Phil Spector Convicted of Murder

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Darling

Re: Phil Spector Convicted of Murder

Post by Darling » Fri May 29, 2009 11:38 pm

In 2006, he quietly wed for the fourth time, marrying model/actress Rachelle Short, who is about 30 years his junior.
:roll:
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 pm

Another article with mentions of Leonard Cohen:

http://www.javno.com/en-celebrities/mad ... ars_261760

19 YEARS TO LIFE FOR MURDER
Mad Genius Phil Spector May Die Behind Bars
Phil Spector may well die behind bars after a judge Friday sentenced him to 19 years to life for murdering a struggling actress in 2003.

A millionaire by 21 whose career peaked before age 30, eccentric music producer Phil Spector spent most of his life basking in his reputation as a mad genius who had worked with acts such as the Ronettes and the Beatles.

The 69-year-old Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee may likely die behind bars after a judge Friday sentenced him to 19 years to life for murdering a struggling actress in 2003.

Spector was largely forgotten until Feb. 3 of that year, when he was arrested on suspicion of murdering Lana Clarkson, 40, by shooting her in the mouth at his mock-castle residence in the middle-class Los Angeles suburb of Alhambra.

The pair had met the night before at the House of Blues, a West Hollywood night spot where Clarkson worked as a waitress. Spector claimed Clarkson shot herself because she was depressed. The jury at his first trial in 2007 deadlocked 10-2 in favor of a conviction. At his second trial, the jury voted last month to convict him of second-degree murder.

Spector has been held in a downtown Los Angeles jail since the verdict was read, and he sat expressionless in a courtroom Friday as a judge handed down his sentence. He will spend at least 19 years behind bars before being eligible for parole at the advanced age of 88, meaning he may die behind bars.

Once he is transferred to state custody in about 10 days, he will be held for at least two months at a "reception center" while authorities decide exactly where he will be imprisoned.

"Each inmate is individually examined to determine the most appropriate housing to ensure the inmate's safety," said a spokeswoman for the California Dept. of Corrections and Rehabilitation. "Inmates that are high notoriety are tracked by the department through the Classification Services Unit."

WIGGING OUT

Spector will have to change some of his habits. In a business where the singer is the star, he often outshone his clients. The diminutive Bronx, N.Y., native dressed flamboyantly, wore wild wigs, hid behind behind dark glasses and bodyguards, and threw tantrums.

On his bad days, he pulled guns on musicians such as Leonard Cohen and punk rock star Dee Dee Ramone.

In his good years, Spector pioneered the "Wall of Sound" production technique -- layering tracks of percussion and pianos and guitars and keyboards and horns on top of each other so the resulting package hit listeners like a Wagnerian avalanche. He once called them "little symphonies for the kiddies."

Spector was just 17 in 1958 when he wrote and produced his first No. 1 hit, "To Know Him Is To Love Him" -- a line taken from the inscription on his father's gravestone -- for his high school group, the Teddy Bears. The teen tycoon would go on to produce 17 top-10 U.S. hits in a decade, including the Crystals' "He's A Rebel," the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

His last Wall of Sound tune was also arguably his finest moment: The 1966 Ike and Tina Turner epic "River Deep, Mountain High," which was a No. 3 hit in England but flopped in the United States.

He helped out the Beatles in 1970 on their "Let It Be" album, controversially putting lavish overdubs on such songs as "The Long and Winding Road" and "Across the Universe." (Paul McCartney stripped the overdubs from a 2003 reissue.)

Spector subsequently worked with George Harrison on his "All Things Must Pass" album and with John Lennon on such tracks as "Instant Karma," "Jealous Guy" and "Imagine."

One troubled project was his 1977 work on Cohen's "Death of a Ladies' Man" album. According to Cohen biographer Ira B. Nadel, Spector at one stage pointed a loaded .45 pistol at Cohen's throat, cocked it and said, "I love you, Leonard." To which Cohen replied, "I hope you love me, Phil."

In 1979, while producing punk band the Ramones' "End of the Century," Spector pulled a gun on Dee Dee Ramone after the bass player had taken a swing at him.

Spector fell out of favor in the ensuing decades, living a lonely existence far from the public eye. Weeks before his arrest, he told Britain's Daily Telegraph that he was a "tortured soul" and "relatively insane."
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 pm

I have been vaguely following the Phil Spector trial. Kelley Lynch has surfaced on one or two of the boards, putting up rambling posts, claiming to be a good friend of Spector's and defending his innocence. She also claimed to be waiting on the verdict before persuading Bruce Cutler, the notorious lawyer who was defending Spector at one stage in proceedings, to defend her in her case against Leonard.

Back in March she posted on one board: "I'm looking forward to Phil Spector's murder trial coming to an end. After all, he told me he was innocent and Clarkson committed suicide at his house. I believed him - after all, women who are desperate and mix alcohol and vicodin can have serious accidents ... including accidental suicides. At that time, I will ask Mr. Spector to join me in a lawsuit against the Los Angeles District Attorney, Leonard Cohen, Steve Lindsey, their advisers, Neal Greenberg, Richard Westin and others. I have asked Bruce Cutler to represent me. If you think the story sounds deranged - vote the District Attorney of Los Angeles out. His office is positively deranged from my experience."

More of the same on other boards too. There is no indication that Cutler himself has had any direct communication with Lynch.
Evie B

Post by Evie B » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 am

I am trying to understand how Phil Spector came to 'collaborate' with Leonard on making an album, it seems such an unlikely alliance. Did Leonard seek him out or was it the other way round, or did some other interested party bring them together?

Can anyone help?
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:15 pm

phil fans might be in with a chance of discerning the correct answer to the fiendishly difficult question below :
---------
WIN TICKETS FOR DREAMBOATS AND PETTICOATS

INSPIRED by the smash hit album of the same name, this brand new musical features some of the greatest hit songs of the rock ‘n’ roll era.

In 1961 emotions run high as young ­musicians Norman and Bobby compete to win a national songwriting competition – and, more importantly, the attentions of gorgeous Sue.

Featuring classic tracks from Roy Orbison, The Shadows, Eddie Cochran, Billy Fury, and many more Dreamboats and Petticoats at the Savoy Theatre is a surefire winner.

We’ve got five pairs of top price tickets to give away, valid for any Mon-Fri performance until September 11.

For a chance to win just answer this simple question:

Which famous songwriter wrote To Know Him Is To Love Him?
a) Andrew Lloyd Webber
b) Phil Spector
c) Eminem

Click to enter

Usual rules apply • Closing date is Monday August 3

http://www.thecnj.co.uk/competitions/index.html
sebmelmoth2003

craig brown. phil and leonard - gun-fun!

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:55 am

a gun incident is mentioned in craig brown's book `one on one`.

a review says readers will "recoil with foreboding at phil spector putting a gun to leonard cohen's head".

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/5 ... 0007360628

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Brown_(satirist)

Return to “News”