Phil Spector Convicted of Murder

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Kristin1980uk

Phil Spector Convicted of Murder

Post by Kristin1980uk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Phil Spector convicted of murder
Click here for view original BBC News Report

US music producer Phil Spector has been convicted of murdering actress Lana Clarkson, after a five-month retrial.

The 68-year-old, famous for the "Wall of Sound" recording technique, faces between 18 years and life in prison.

He had pleaded not guilty to the second degree murder of 40-year-old Ms Clarkson, who was shot in the mouth at Spector's home in Los Angeles.

Spector was remanded in custody until sentencing on 29 May. His lawyer has said he intends to appeal.

"I don't think justice was done today," said lawyer Doron Weinberg.

Spector had looked frail as he entered the Los Angeles Superior Court, dressed in a black suit with a bright red tie.

The jury took some 30 hours of deliberation to reach their unanimous guilty verdict.

As the verdict was read out, Spector remained quiet and his wife Rachelle sobbed.

b]'Legal errors' [/b]

The jury had the option of returning a verdict of involuntary manslaughter, but chose not do so.

An earlier trial was abandoned in 2007 after a jury failed to reach a unanimous decision.

Second degree murder falls between first degree murder, which requires proof of pre-meditation, and manslaughter.

Speaking after the verdict, Mr Weinberg congratulated the jury on "trying to do the best honest job they could" with "complete integrity and complete honesty".

But he said the jurors had been flooded with "improper and prejudicial evidence" which made it impossible for them to reach a fair conclusion.

He said he was "very, very certain" that Spector had not been proved guilty "under the proper legal standard".

Mr Weinberg said "the nature of the legal errors" made in the trial were "so significant and so clear that there is every likelihood that this case will be set aside on appeal".

One of the jurors, speaking at a news conference after the trial, said the jury had a "complete picture" from the evidence.

The unnamed woman said they had "gone through all the information and that's what the conclusion was".

Prolific career

Phil Spector worked with some of the biggest names in the pop and rock business, including The Beatles, Leonard Cohen and Ike and Tina Turner.

Spector had decided not to give evidence at his trial

He produced hits including You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by the Righteous Brothers and the Ronettes' Be My Baby.

But for all his musical genius, Spector had a dark side.

He was often described as being a bully in the studio, a man with a liking for guns and an eccentric personality.

During the five-month retrial, five female acquaintances testified that Spector had threatened them at gunpoint in incidents dating back to the 1970s.

Mr Weinberg had argued that the evidence from the women should not have been admitted.

The defence said Ms Clarkson's death was a suicide and appealed to jurors not to judge the star on his eccentric appearance.

Spector himself opted not to give evidence.

Stun gun

Actress Clarkson, 40, had been working as a hostess at the House of Blues venue in Los Angeles, and went home with Spector on the night of her death.

After appearing in cult 1980s films such as Barbarian Queen and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, her acting career had hit the rocks.

Spector had arrived at the club with waitress Kathy Sullivan, before setting his sights on Ms Clarkson.

Spector's Brazilian chauffeur, Adriano De Souza, said his boss appeared to be intoxicated and that Ms Clarkson was initially reluctant to go home with the music producer.

She was found dead in the foyer of his house in the early hours of the morning.

A holster that matched the snub-nosed Colt Cobra revolver that Spector used to kill her was found in a drawer in the foyer.

Mr De Souza called the emergency services, saying: "I think my boss killed somebody", after Spector emerged from his home with a gun.

He told jurors Spector had said: "I think I killed somebody." The defence argued he had misheard his employer.

The producer was taken into custody about 40 minutes after the shooting and had to be subdued by officers using a stun gun.

For those who might not be aware of the connection between Leonard Cohen and Phil Spector, see below quote from:

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com:

His album Death of a Ladies' Man was produced by Phil Spector, the reclusive genius of girl-group pop. "I was flipped out at the time," Cohen said later, "and he certainly was flipped out. For me, the expression was withdrawal and melancholy, and for him, megalomania and insanity and a devotion to armaments that was really intolerable. In the state that he found himself, which was post-Wagnerian, I would say Hitlerian, the atmosphere was one of guns - the music was a subsidiary enterprise ... At a certain point Phil approached me with a bottle of kosher red wine in one hand and a .45 in the other, put his arm around my shoulder and shoved the revolver into my neck and said, 'Leonard, I love you.' I said, 'I hope you do, Phil.'"

Cohen has described the album they made together as "grotesque".

Content from http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com and http://news.bbc.co.uk/. Thank you.
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose, everybody knows
sebmelmoth2003

Re: Phil Spector Convicted of Murder

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:09 pm

phil's appearance didn't do him any favours.

he looks completely MAD!!

i'm surprised his lawyers didn't advise him to get a haircut, tidy himself up and get rid of any drugs still in his system so he'd make a better impression on the jury.

i'm also surprised that having been found guilty he got bail pending sentence - given the lengthy prison sentence in store for him, the temptation for a sane person would be to flee to a country far away from which he couldn't be extradited.

i saw the news report on tv (can't remember if it was GMTV or ITV) and a picture of leonard was flashed up on screen to illustrate phil's celebrity acquaintances while the news presenter said none of them turned up in court to testify on his behalf.

there was a bbc tv ARENA documentary about phil which is worth watching.

here's a five-minute clip - don't know if the full programme is lurking somewhere on the internet.

The Agony And The Ecstasy of Phil Spector

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 31yBC2MWYx#
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 pm

I heard a snippet of something on NPR that spoke of Phil's revenge with regard to an apparently bad relationship with his father [and whomever else] was his legacy of lush music, which heralded love. I felt sad when I heard it, such a sorrowful way for a life to end up going. It's a lesson that people need to be careful about wielding weapons or speaking of violence, as one never knows when they may need someone to speak on their behalf, which obviously those who dealt with him directly had experienced too many reasons not to do so.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Live from Los Angeles: Phil Spector who had been free on bail pending the conclusion of his second trial - had that bail revoked and was remanded into custody immediately after the jury rendered its verdict and pending sentencing next month. He is in jail in Los Angeles right now.
Lizzie, Mr. Spector did not have a bad relationship with his father. His father, however, committed suicide when Spector was 14. He wrote his first hit song "To Know Him Is To Love Him" (with the Teddy Bears) which he dedicated to the memory of his father (it is the epitaph on his father's headstone as well). He has had, however, historically terrible relationships with virtually all the women in his life. Almost all the people I know here in L.A. were and are convinced of his guilt - so he got what was coming to him IMO.
Jazz
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jazz. You're absolutely right that that's what I actually heard, too... now that I see it in print. Its being his Dad and 'bad' stuck in my mind, but because I knew it was his father, I thought back to its being their 'bad' relationship rather than something bad happening with his father... and I recall something about his relationships with women, and none of them were apparently very good [so the idea of 'bad' entered in, again]. I'm sorry for being wrong on that. Of course, the Teddy Bears song comes flooding back, too, with all this. That's something I know very well AND in its proper context. You'd've thought I could've sorted all this on my own, but I heard very little and then saw this here... and here came the misinformation :? :roll: .

Perhaps, this will make the fellow who announced about John's death feel a little better. I hope so.

I agree that it seems to be justice. I'm very far from the whole ordeal or any knowledge of people who might've known him, but it sounded as though he was guilty.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Fontana

Does Leonard Cohen’s Death of a Ladies Man Foresee Lana Clar

Post by Fontana » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:15 pm

Phil Spector’s Deadly Ways: Does Leonard Cohen’s Death of a Ladies' Man Foresee Lana Clarkson’s Murder?

By Randall Roberts
Published on April 16, 2009 at 9:35am

As we prepared for this month’s “Leonard Cohen Week,” which concludes with Friday’s twilight performance at Coachella, one of Cohen’s most notorious and fascinating albums, Death of a Ladies’ Man, got stuck in our mind.

Much has been written about Cohen and his classic songs over the years, but little of it has been dedicated to the stormy and failed 1977 collaboration the singer, songwriter and poet had with producer/murderer Phil Spector. The push/pull between the two strong-headed auteurs has become the stuff of Hollywood legend. Cohen and Spector’s method of teamwork reportedly involved an armed and volatile Spector locking lyricist Cohen out of the studio while the producer crafted the music.

The result, Death of a Ladies’ Man, is a wonderfully uneven eight-song album, which, in hindsight, could be seen as a portent of Spector’s woes. Titles include: “True Love Leaves No Traces,” “Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On” and “Fingerprints,” all key themes in the Spector murder trial. Had he paid closer attention to Cohen’s refrain for “Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On,” Spector may have avoided a whole heap of trouble. Sings Cohen (with Bob Dylan and Allen Ginsberg on backing vocals): “Don’t go home with your hard-on/It will only drive you insane/You can’t shake it (or break it) with your Motown/You can’t melt it down in the rain.”

The more we dug, the more evidence surfaced that maybe this Cohen guy was on to something, like he had some sort of premonition. Herewith, lyrical tidbits that, compiled below, are somewhat revealing.

Track listing, Leonard Cohen’s Death of a Ladies’ Man:

1. “True Love Leaves No Traces” (4:26)

2. “Iodine” (5:03)

3. “Paper Thin Hotel” (5:42)

4. “Memories” (5:59)

5. “I Left a Woman Waiting” (3:28)

6. “Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On” (5:36)

7. “Fingerprints” (2:58)

8. “Death of a Ladies’ Man” (9:19)

Item 1. Spector meets Clarkson at House of Blues in West Hollywood, where she is a waitress:

I walked up to the tallest and the blondest girl

I said, Look, you don’t know me now but very soon you will

So won’t you let me see

I said won’t you let me see

I said won’t you let me see

your naked body?

—from “Memories”

He invites her over to his place after she gets off work. She agrees:

She took his much-admired oriental frame of mind

and the heart-of-darkness alibi his money hides behind

She took his blonde madonna and his monastery wine —

“This mental space is occupied and everything is mine.”

—from “Memories”

Item 2. They arrive at Spector’s Alhambra mansion. They get to know each other. He, a producer past his prime; she, an actress who had to work at House of Blues to pay the rent:

She said, I see your eyes are dead

What happened to you, lover?

What happened to you, my lover?

What happened to you, lover?

What happened to you?

And since she spoke the truth to me

I tried to answer truthfully

Whatever happened to my eyes

happened to your beauty

—from “I Left a Woman Waiting”

Item 3. Spector, a legendary ladies’ man, and strong with manly desire, admires the blonde Clarkson. She, however, is not so sure. This is understandably frustrating to the producer:

Ah but don’t go home with your hard-on

It will only drive you insane

You can’t shake it (or break it) with your Motown

You can’t melt it down in the rain

—from “Don’t Go Home With Your Hard-On”

Item 4. Enter a gun. Who knows how it got there? An alleged struggle:

Your beauty on my bruise like iodine

I asked you if a man could be forgiven

And though I failed at love, was this a crime?

You said, Don’t worry, don’t worry, darling

You said, Don’t worry, don’t you worry, darling

There are many ways a man can serve his time

—from “Iodine”

Item 5. Serve time? What are you talking about, serve time? A gunshot. Who pulled the trigger? Where is the evidence? Why aren’t Spector’s prints on the gun?

I called my fingerprints all night

But they don’t seem to care

The last time that I saw them

they were leafing through your hair

Fingerprints, fingerprints

Where are you now my fingerprints?

—from “Fingerprints”

Item 6. Call an ambulance! There’s been an incident at the Spector mansion! Too late. It’s over.

And many nights endure

without a moon or star

So we will endure

when one is gone and far

—from “True Love Leaves No Traces”

True love may not leave traces, but sometimes history does.

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-04-16/musi ... -incident/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:59 am

Well, this was an innovative piece by Randall Roberts; however, it seems to me a stretch trying to make Leonard the prophet with this that he appears to be with The Future and such. I mean it's poooosible, if Leonard was writing his songs during the time they were being recorded, and the songs were an observation of Phil's behaviour, but I've never had that impression of them, at all. True Love Leaves No Traces was based on a poem of Leonard's. It makes a bit of interesting reading and at least created something for the Leonard Cohen Week's fare, though.

It's very cool that they declared a Leonard Cohen Week 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:18 am

Either Randall Roberts did a lot of research to come up with this article or he is a Cohenite, in which case he belongs on this forum ;-) :lol: . Interesting interpretation though.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Evie B

Post by Evie B » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:47 pm

I have never forgiven Spector for what he did to Paul McCartney's 'Long and Winding Road' (LET IT BE Album), aided and abetted by John Lennon in one of his nastier moments. In fairness to Spector, he probably didn't know any better, Lennon should have. I could never imagine McCartney being a party to doing this to one of John's songs. When you hear the original on the Anthology discs, it is wonderfully simple and touching.

If you are a Lennon fan, don't have a pop at me (no pun intended), I am a lifelong Beatles fan who cut my teenage teeth watching the condensation stream down the walls at the Cavern. But in spite of loving him like I do, I acknowledge Lennon had a spiteful side.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Joe Meek was Britain's Phil Spector, and now his tormented life will be told on film...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 70448.html
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:39 pm

As I love the melody of The Long and Winding Road [including its lush treatment], it's hard to imagine that it could get any better. Still, Evie, your description of it from the Anthology sounds like that simplicity could make it even more heartrending. Do you happen to know if it's available anywhere on YouTube?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Evie B

Post by Evie B » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am

Hi Lizzy

I have found this clip of The Beatles singing The Long and Winding Road which I believe comes from the movie Let it Be. The version that eventually appeared on the album was a mutilation of a studio run through of the song which was probably this one (an official final track was never recorded, I understand, Spector laid down his bells and whistles, screeching women and ‘orrible wall of sound orchestration on top of this, or a similar, studio recording).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMsKPeWAsw

I have not so far been able to find a site with the 'Let it Be' album track available so far, but I will keep looking. You might try yourself and see if you can find a site where you can sample the recording.

lizzytysh wrote:As I love the melody of The Long and Winding Road [including its lush treatment], it's hard to imagine that it could get any better. Still, Evie, your description of it from the Anthology sounds like that simplicity could make it even more heartrending. Do you happen to know if it's available anywhere on YouTube?

~ Lizzy
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:41 am

Thanks, Evie. I'm nowhere near sound at the moment, but I'll do some researching myself, as well. With your description, I'd sure love to hear it. Never having heard it otherwise, I've always loved the song as is.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Phantom Stranger

Post by Phantom Stranger » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Anyone ever listen to the passing comments Cohen makes about Spector in concert in the late 70's? Lots of interesting stuff, calling Spector a "dark genius" and sometimes hinting he was off his rocker.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 pm

From Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNew ... 4O20090529

Phil Spector gets at least 19 years for murder

Fri May 29, 2009 3:06pm EDT

By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Eccentric music producer Phil Spector was given a sentence of 19 years to life in prison on Friday for the murder of a Hollywood actress in 2003.

Spector, 69, who revolutionized pop music in the 1960s with his layered "Wall of Sound" production technique, was convicted in April of second-degree murder by a Los Angeles jury after a second trial. The first trial ended in a deadlock in 2007.

Lana Clarkson, 40, a B-movie actress, died of a shot to the mouth, fired from Spector's gun in the foyer of his mock castle home outside Los Angeles on February 3, 2003. The two had met hours earlier at a Hollywood nightclub.

The sentence means that Spector must spend at least 19 years in prison before being eligible for parole. If not paroled, he will spend the rest of his life behind bars.

Spector, who worked with The Ronettes, The Beatles, Cher and Leonard Cohen at the height of his fame, denied murdering Clarkson but did not testify at either trial.

He has been held in custody since his April 13 conviction after being free on bail following his arrest in 2003.

Prosecutors said the shooting of Clarkson was part of a pattern of gun play and violence that Spector displayed toward women over the past 20 years, saying he had a problem with rage and was "a bully".

Spector's lawyers claimed that Clarkson was depressed about her failing career and had committed suicide.

She worked as a hostess at the House of Blues in Hollywood when she met the man who produced songs like the Righteous Brothers' hit "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'." Clarkson starred in such little-known movies as "Barbarian Queen" and "Amazon Women on the Moon."

Clarkson's family has also filed a wrongful death civil suit against Spector which has yet to be heard.

Spector had a troubled early life. His father committed suicide, his sister spent time in mental institutions and Spector suffered bouts of severe depression.

Shortly before Clarkson was shot, Spector told British journalist Mick Brown in a rare interview that he had a bipolar personality and had "devils that fight inside me."

In 2006, he quietly wed for the fourth time, marrying model/actress Rachelle Short, who is about 30 years his junior.

(Editing by Jackie Frank)

Return to “News”