shhh.... for Canadians only

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Cate

shhh.... for Canadians only

Post by Cate » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't want to make the others jealous.

CBC 2 is giving away a trip for 2 to New York, to see Mr.Cohen at Radio City. Below is a link to contest details.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/spotlight/
lizzytysh

Re: shhh.... for Canadians only

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:14 pm

If only our radio stations would follow suit, it would immediately increase the public's awareness of Leonard Cohen. I know some want to keep his light hidden safely beneath a barrel. As for me, I'm overjoyed to see Leonard giving Sold Out shows, with new ones added because the entire world is coming to love him. History will prove him to be one of our greatest music legends [in my mind and heart, the greatest in anything even remotely related to his genre... whatever that is with our undefinable Leonard Cohen ;-) ]. What is so awesome is that after so many years of dedication to precision and his refusal to squander his skills, Leonard is experiencing the direct results of his commitment to quality for himself. YaY, Leonard 8) !

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Hmmmmm, I get the CBC in Michigan. Maybe I could use my old Toronto address ;-) 8) ;-) 8)
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:32 am

Cate, thanks for the 411. I'm totally on it. Maybe if lots of us listen in, we could post the song title here in the hopes of someone from this forum winning the contest - that would be fabulous.
Leonard Cohen is my soulmate.
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:56 am

I was just looking into the CBC contest. It states: 'To enter the LEONARD COHEN FLYAWAY you must tune in to Radio 2 Morning (6-10am Monday – Saturday, 6:30 NT; and 6 – 8am Sundays, 6:30 NT) and/or Radio 2 Drive (3 – 6pm Monday – Friday, 3:30pm NT) beginning Monday, March 9, 2009. When you hear a song by Leonard Cohen, go to cbc.ca/spotlight and complete and submit the entry form located at the site.'

It's very confusing. There's no time zone specified other than to note the slight difference with Newfoundland. Will it be simulcast for each time zone? I'm in Vancouver but have a friend back east who wants to hear the web cast, does that mean we're supposed to listen at the same time in our respective time zones?

It's all very unclear! :?:
Cate

Post by Cate » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:49 pm

does that mean we're supposed to listen at the same time in our respective time zones?
I'm sorry I can not divulge that information to you. You see you obviously do not listen to the CBC, which means you are not actually a Canadian (all true Canadians know that listening to CBC is a requirement of membership).

joking of course - The times are correct for all time zones, they stagger airing so it corresponds to the time zone you are in. :)

Lady Di who live in Michigan - sounds like a good plan. Make sure you tune into CBC 2 though not CBC 1. Even if you can't enter I think you might like their format - Leonard is played often as are a number of other interesting artists.
What is so awesome is that after so many years of dedication to precision and his refusal to squander his skills, Leonard is experiencing the direct results of his commitment to quality for himself. YaY, Leonard 8) !
yes Lizzy - I think Leonard might have been ahead of the game a bit and we've just caught up.
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi Cate,

Actually, I love the CBC. I pick it up out of Windsor. Great classical music, and I forget the name of the afternoon program but they tend to showcase all Canadian talent, whether it's rock or pop or jazz. The first time I was driving along and Leonard started singing "So Long Marianne" I almost passed out! Hopefully with all the publicity of this US/Canadian tour some of the US mainstream radio (NPR has already started with the podcast!) will pick up on his incredible talent and voice!

All the best,
Diana
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 am

Did anyone get the song and enter today??
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi IconoBitch,

I DID get yesterday's PM song 'Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye' (missed the AM song though), and Tuesday AM 'Everybody Knows' from new London Live CD. It's fun, though I much prefer Tom Allen's music picks in the AM. The Drive show picks up where Jurgen Goethe left off. 'Quirky' would be a euphemistic description!

Thanks to Cate for telling us about this contest – I hope someone from the Forum wins; please promise to let us know so we can vent our envy...
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 am

imaginary friend, I was under the impression that there's one song per day, or is it two???
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:32 am

CBC Radio 2 also has two video excerpts from the DVD being released this month at:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/spotlight/video.html

Also , another contest for Cohen tickets can be found at the following:

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/con ... ntest.html

Canada.com is the website for many newspapers in Canada and the contest is national. Sadly though, it is only open to Canadians.
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:35 am

by Iconoclastic_Bitch on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:31 pm

imaginary friend, I was under the impression that there's one song per day, or is it two???

There are two shows featuring the contest. The songs are not always the same, although today they were.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:49 am

This morning Tom Allen said that the song may be either just written by LC or actually sung by him. I don't think I've seen/ heard that there's only one LC song per day – can anyone else clarify?

TA also said the contest will run until March 22. I'm not sure whether you can submit more than one entry per song. The prevailing sense of Canadian fairness tells me only one... but I may be wrong; you hear these funny voices...
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:46 am

Radio 2 'Drive' just played Everybody Knows (2nd time today) at 4:45 PM (PST)!
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:49 am

From what I can tell, I THINK it's one song per day, not two - but I could be wrong.

Has anyone entered the other contest for 4 tickets to a show?

Return to “News”