NPR podcast of Beacon Theatre show, available from Feb 26

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
tomsakic

NPR podcast of Beacon Theatre show, available from Feb 26

Post by tomsakic » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 pm

Source: http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2009/ ... bcast.html
News: Leonard Cohen Webcast
by Bob Boilen

Tonight, Leonard Cohen is going to give his first U.S. performance since 1993, at the Beacon Theater in New York. I'm on a train there now, and I'm thrilled. I've never seen him on stage. A concert by this 74-year-old poet, musician, singer and novelist is an event.

We recently wrote a blog post about the incredible prices that ticket brokers were asking for the Leonard Cohen show. Prices for some seats were being "brokered" for more than $3,000 -- money that doesn't go to the artist. The initial ticket prices were $65 and topped out at $250. Those sold out quickly.

In an effort to fight the ticket brokers, Cohen's management is allowing us to stream a recording of this entire Beacon Theater performance. We'll post it online on Feb. 26. Details will appear in our show on Monday, and on our Twitter feed @allsongs.

We're thrilled that Leonard Cohen and Columbia Records are giving us permission to webcast this entire concert. Far too many people have missed his songwriting, or perhaps only know "Hallelujah" or "Suzanne." "Dance Me to the End of Love," "Everybody Knows," "Who by Fire" and, of course, "Bird on a Wire" are just a few songs you must hear before you die.

Tell us your favorite Leonard Cohen song here -- or maybe your favorite interpreter of that song, if it isn't him. And please feel free to share any Cohen story you may have.

I've just heard a recent Leonard Cohen concert recorded in England. There are many breathtaking moments and a collection of songs that spans his entire carreer. That concert from the Arena in London will be released in early spring as a 2-CD set and as a DVD.

Bob Boilen
woolwork

Re: NPR to webcast Beacon Theatre show on Feb 26

Post by woolwork » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:42 am

this is wonderful news... does this mean we'll be able to listen to the concert at will from the NPR website ? or only at one particular time...
either way... it is a bit of a salve to the wounds caused by ticketmaster and their minions...
jarkko... thank you for all your efforts and energy...
jane :D
Pope

Post by Pope » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Could be useful if the above question was answered.
Glyn
Wal

Post by Wal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 am

Hi, it's my birthday on the 26th. What I really wanted, was to have seen Mr.Cohen at the Beacon Theater - it did not happen - instead a miracle happened - I will have a chance to see him on May 16th. As a teenager living in Italy, I had spent many days listening to his songs. And I love his Album 10 New Songs. I have just completed a you tube video "Sacral Chakra 64 Life Cards" featuring his song "In My Secret Life" Enjoy! Ciao Wal [http://www.youtube.com/user/WalAchmueller]
Pope

Post by Pope » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Fascinating, but I still don't know what time this is broadcast.
Glyn
anneporter

Post by anneporter » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Happy Birthday, Wal!

I just had a look at your life card video. I really like your cards. I plan to spend some time going through them when I get a chance.

I have been working on a tarot deck using images from Leonard Cohen songs, so I think we have common interests.
Anne
Relate

Post by Relate » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Pope wrote:Fascinating, but I still don't know what time this is broadcast.
Glyn
It is available to listen to now at:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =101034642

Beautiful.
Movan

Post by Movan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:25 pm

The webcast is wonderful! A very moving prelude to the CD. I felt very privileged to attend two of Leonard Cohen's concerts last summer, a nearly religious experience. Now, I wish all of you living on the other side of the Atlantic unforgettable Cohen nights the coming months!
Pope

Post by Pope » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm

The webcast is superb. I hope its possible to download it to put on cd as its just been so well put together. Much better than his other live recordings except Live Songs.
Glyn
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Relate wrote:
Pope wrote:Fascinating, but I still don't know what time this is broadcast.
Glyn
It is available to listen to now at:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =101034642

Beautiful.
Thanks for heads up. I listened, teary eyed and enjoyed. NPR will remove it eventually.
Please give us instructions for downloading this. I don't know how. Thanks
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Loved the webcast! Brought back so many beautiful memories. :D I think it's archived for awhile but not sure how long, although they still have concerts available from last year.

Hope we can download it.

All the best,
Diana
fisherinbelfast

Post by fisherinbelfast » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:24 pm

great show , just recorded it , magicical, but can't beat dublin :D
Henning

Post by Henning » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 pm

It's also worth to listen to Neko Case new album on NPR. After 14 minutes you hear a wonderful version of Spark's "Never turn your back on mother earth". Ah the early 70's - I was a Sparks fan before I turned to Leonard Cohen.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
sheehand901

Post by sheehand901 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:19 pm

I just listened to the Webcast and it is just amazing. Are there any plans to broadcast the entire show?

Dan

Return to “News”