"Leonard Cohen Live in London" > DVD & 2CD (April 2009)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Pete

Re: "Leonard Cohen Live in London" - DVD & 2CD - April 2009

Post by Pete » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Goodfella213 wrote:I watched the DVD.... I think its great!!!

I have really enjoyed remembering the show, But I am not sure why they did not put the following songs on the DVD...

1) The Partisan
2) Chelsea hotel
3) Famous blue raincoat

These are great songs that I really wish were on the DVD.
He didn't play these songs at the O2... but the complete concert is on the DVD from start to finish.

As for 4:3..it fits my tv perfectly and as far as I know I have a widescreen TV so what sort of TV doesn't it fit? I'm not up to speed with all this mularky.

Pete

p.s. John E.... if you were a football fan you'd understand :)
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
tangy10

Post by tangy10 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 pm

I seem to have a bit of banding on the screen. Is it just my DVD or have other noticed?
I don't really mind as long as it's not my disc is faulty!!
He was certainly chattier at this concert than in Glasgow where it was quite a few songs in before he started to chat...
love it...
Ophelia

Post by Ophelia » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 pm

I received my DVD and have spent a very enjoyable afternoon watching it. I'll admit that I don't know much about aspect ratios etc but I have no complaints about this DVD. My friends and I attended an O2 concert and, when watching the DVD, I felt the same little frisson of excitement when Leonard bounded onto the stage as I'd felt on the night. It brought back so many memories of a magical evening and all for under a tenner!
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:59 pm

I've just watched the DVD for the third time and I have to say I increasingly do not know what all the complaining is about. It gets better with every showing. It recaptures the extraordinary intimacy of the concerts I saw last year, and that is some achievement. And it is so generous with what it gives (gives away) in terms of the little smiles, nods, and eye contacts that go on all night among the various band members. It reconfirms the view I formed last year that this band, Leonard included, know how good they are and just love playing for each other. It's magnificent. Watch it in the dark with good red wine for company and make sure your phone is off the hook. Enjoy.
Paula

Post by Paula » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 am

I am just watching it too I can't believe so many people were so quiet while he was on stage.

One slight complaint it is very dark (but that might be my telly)

The only other thing is it just does not capture the magic of the evening purely because it can't.

Leonard is so animated and the whole thing is just perfect I can't believe there are 20,000 people in that arena.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 am

Hi Paula,

There were certainly some 16,000 in the arena, but certainly in the front blocks the audience seemed remarkably quiet and orderly. There was a crowding into the aisles during "Sisters of Mercy" however, which slightly irritated me as I was sitting on the aisle, and it's one of my top three Leonard songs. By the way, I think it is your telly!

All good wishes, John E
richargroulx

Post by richargroulx » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:46 am

Wow! What an evening it was! I dreamed about having a complete show released on CD and or DVD.

I have saw the May 30th show in Saguenay, Quebec, The place could only accept about 900 peoples, I was in the 5th row and this DVD just gave me the same impression of being very intimate and near of the stage.

This is a must have, not over produce, just a plain good show. Dawn it was good.

Richard
1988: Québec (Qc) | 2008: Saguenay (Qc) | 2012: Québec (Qc)
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:15 am

I am so pleased that recent posts on the quality of the DVD bear out my earlier comments. I am sure that it never was meant to be a "special effects, super-duper" DVD but rather a faithful memento of the concert. I wasn't at the O2 but did witness the perfection of performance at Dublin, Edinburgh, Birmingham, and the final night at Manchester and whilst I could argue that Manchester would have, in my opinion, been a better choice for DVD I would argue that Leonard Cohen and his band of impeccable musicians produced a performance which would equal any studio creation. To witness, as I did on the first night in Dublin, a crowd of approx. 10000 start a concert with a standing ovation only proved to me, if proof were needed, in what esteem this genius of music and poetry is held. To recite a poem at such a concert, with total silence on the part of this massive audience, further proved this.This was then repeated at the other three concerts I was fortunate to attend. No DVD could ever recreate such a wonderful live concert but again, in my opinion, and given the fact that some people think the technical side of things was less than perfect, I would offer an opinion that we are truly lucky to have such a memento of such brilliant live performaces. And as a final comment for anyone who has not read my earlier thoughts on this subject, I am exceedingly grateful for the close-up shots as I was a long way from the front in all of the concerts.

Thank you Leonard for the ultimate in professional performances and thank you for assembling what must be the ultimate in backing bands

Dave
rgraff

Post by rgraff » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:54 am

A couple comments, having listened several times to the CD (I also have the DVD, but have not yet had a chance to experience it):
1) It is a wonderful record of fantastic tour. Nothing can fully capture the magic, but this does a great job.

2) I was fortunate to be at the NYC Beacon Theatre concert, and downloaded the ~70 minute excerpt from NPR back when it was available, and listen to it regularly. I hope that the full concert is eventually released as a download (Jarkko indicated that some concerts might be released in this way). Perhaps I am biased having been at that concert, but I think the recording is superior -- more present, LC's voice higher in the mix, band seems even more comfortable, maybe due to being later in the tour. Also the energy in a smaller venue (2,800 vs. 20,000) is more intimate. Also, the NYC excerpt contains Chelsea Hotel #2 and The Partisan, both of which were not performed in London. LC also performed FBR in NYC night, but it was not on the released excerpt. NYC did not have "Closing Time". Also NYC had a beautiful LC "benediction" during Wither Thou Goest. I would love to see that full concert released.

3) It is clear that a moment of silence was cut out between the completion of the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep and the applause. Compare with the NYC recording. Probably tightening to get the full concert on 2 CDs.

4) Regarding the many introductions of musicians: Just before the NYC concert, I happened to be seated at a restaurant one table over from Dino Soldo. I mentioned that it must be nice to play for LC, as he is so gracious in introducing the musicians. Mr. Soldo said that they requested that he stop doing that, as the musicians felt it detracted from the music. LC very graciously introduced the musicians at the end of the first set and at the end of the concert (somewhere in with all the encores). Mr. Soldo also noted that he helped pursuade LC to add Chelsea Hotel #2 to the lineup.

Bottom line: I encourage LC and his management company to release other concerts, esp. the magical NYC one, of which an excerpt was released on NPR, and has now been withdrawn.

All good things.
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:17 am

RGraff..

I haven't checked today to see if it was still there, but ITunes had the NPR concert and you could listen to it for FREE. I think you could download for free as well. It was edited though. Nothing close to the near 3 hours he plays.

When I listened to it, that was a few weeks ago.

If it's no longer on ITunes, my guess is, they pulled it to focus all attention (and getting people to buy) Live in London for now.

ITunes also had a full concert that was around 2 hrs. or more from Tom Waits from a couple of years ago that aired on NPR. Tons of other NPR concerts too and all were for free to listen to.

When you go to Itunes, just search "NPR". They give you a lot of choices so you''ll have to click around to find the shows.
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 am

Well, I just checked ITunes. It's gone from there now too.
daveeliver

Post by daveeliver » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi All,
You can listen (free and virus free, http://www.spotify.com) to the Leonard Cohen Live in London CD on Spotify.
You can't download any tracks, just listen.
Spotify is great if you're ever doing boring tasks

See you all in Liverpool!
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
pegasus4

Post by pegasus4 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 pm

Leonard doesn't have cameras on stage(except behind) and I'm afraid this weakens the perspective of the DVD.The camera work is static and exclusive rather than inclusive as there are very few if any mobile cameras to create the intimacy of those on stage with the audience.Audience shots are distinctly 1970's and whilst there are superb close ups ,warts and all I agree with a comment earlier that as a record for posterity the DVD is disappointing.Yes it improves on viewing but thats more out of love for the subject and his minstrels and angels rather than the cinematography.I raved about the three concerts I saw last year and I'm grateful for the CD and DVD momentoes but I'm left willing the DVD to be more.
DPG1976

Live in London - reviews

Post by DPG1976 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:06 pm

I published my review of Live in London yesterday on my blog as well as on Blogcritics:

London Calling: It's Leonard Cohen
http://donaldgibson.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... cohen.html

Music Review: Leonard Cohen -- Live in London [2CD/1DVD]
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2009/04/03/105218.php

Thanks!
Donald Gibson
http://www.writeonmusic.com/ - Artist Interviews & Profiles, Reviews, & Commentary

Return to “News”