Hilde Zaremba

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Padma

Hilde Zaremba

Post by Padma » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 am

Hilde Zaremba, aged 90 years, sadly passed away a few weeks ago. For many years Hilde was a very big admirer of Leonard's work, and she requested that "Closing Time" be played at her funeral which will take place tomorrow.

Some years ago, Hilde made Leonard a beautiful tapestry of a music score. Leonard very graciously sent her a letter thanking her for this. Although Hilde never visited this site, I know it would have pleased her enormously that she has been remembered here. She was a wonderful individual with a real passion for life - even in her eighties! She listened to Leonard and read his poetry up till recently. It was our shared enthusiasm and love of Leonard's work that led to us to being introduced to each other by her son John.

Padma and Harry
dar

Re: Hilde Zaremba

Post by dar » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:55 am

Padma, Thank you for sharing these thoughts about your friend Hilde. She sounds like she was a vibrant woman who lived life to the fullest. What an inspiration she must have been and how lucky you were to have called her friend.
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:59 am

What a lovely artistic woman Hilde must have been. Thank you so much for sharing her story with us. Leonard, as we all know, touches our hearts in individual ways. There always seems to be a message somewhere in a song or a verse of poetry. Hilde was blessed to have lived a long and it seems, fulfilled life. What more could one ask for? She indeed seems to have been an inspiration to others. One forever treasures a friend like her and her memory will never diminish.

Although I did not know her, I will hold her in my heart tonight.

Blessings, Diana

"Closing Time"...how appropriate. Love it!
Judy

Post by Judy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:58 am

Padma, how fortunate to have known someone like that. She will be in my thoughts today.
Diane

Post by Diane » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Padma and Harry, so that's how you two met:-) It's lovely that you are remembering Hilde Zaremba on here.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Padma -
you are a good friend to share this news of Hilde. I shall light a candle for her and play "Closing Time" for her memory. May she be free from suffering and may she make progress...
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Padma,

last week when I was walking down the street, listening to "Closing Time" on my music player, I noticed for the first time this year that the air and the light were very mild and spring-like; and in some strange, dialectic way, both, the song and the atmosphere, seemed to go very well together and created a very uplifting, hopeful mood. May this come to signify that even though Hilde is not with you any more, her death is not the end, but that, just as "Closing Time" itself, although of course somewhat melancholic, is a song far from mere grief, it may come to stand for the inspiration that Hilde has obviously given you and that you will remember her by...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Some years ago, Hilde made Leonard a beautiful tapestry of a music score.
thanks for sharing this touching story. i guess 90-years is a `good innnings` (although personally i would prefer not to die at all if possible!)

Return to “News”