Campaign: Get Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah in the UK charts!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Paul Zagreb

Re: Campaign: Get Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah in the UK charts!

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Minna wrote:Nice work Ken. :D

Can I borrow it? :razz:
As ever, Ken .. quite brilliant ... I have already started using it everywhere I can. Your other bumper sticker reminded me of the sad news of the death of the poet Adrian Mitchell who kept adapting his anti-Vietnam war poem To Whom It may Concern to the latest war. In Adrian Mitchell's case, I would hardly suggest that he rest in peace .. rather that he raises merry hell in heaven. Along with the late great Adrian Henri and the other Liverpool poets and Leonard of course, it was Mitchell who made me realise poetry was not just for them but for all all of us!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

Interviewed on the radio, Alexandra Burke did mention that she knows both Leonard's original version and Jeff Buckley's cover (and prefers Buckley
----------
she knows them now but apparently not before :

X FACTOR winner Alexandra Burke hated the song Hallelujah when she first heard it, she revealed last night... and feared it could lose her the competition.

The singer, who will today top the Christmas charts with her cover of the haunting ballad, stormed out of the studio in frustration when she first tried to sing it to her mentor, show judge Cheryl Cole.

Alexandra said: “When Hallelujah got picked I was gutted. I thought I had lost there and then. I wanted to leave the show.

“I didn’t know the song before and it just didn’t do anything for me. It left me cold. I could not see a way to put my twist on it...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/200 ... -20985238/
Actaion

Post by Actaion »

I think Leonard should quickly record a new version, or publish a live version of this year's tour.

I would prefer the album version not to get to high in the charts, because it could scare people off and prevent them from taking interest in Cohen's other work...
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Actaion,

As I understand it, there's a double live CD coming with the best performances from various venues on the tour, and a DVD of the first London O2 show (scheduled for late March). I was at O2 and "Hallelujah" was amazing. I think both the CD & DVD will be huge.

All good things, John E
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Hi Everyone,

Yes, Andrew, I am becoming more prolific. Being pregnant in the summer wasn't conducive to commentary, but giving birth has really done wonders for the creativity! Fa la la la la la la la la!!!!!

It's so wonderful Leonard is getting kudos -- well deserved.

On a sadder note, my husband just told me that someone stole all of our lights in the garden overnight. I said, "Well, maybe someone needed to take them to give them as a Christmas gift."

As Dickens wrote in the opening to "Tale of Two Cities"

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Shalom,

Natalie :cry:

"Things are going to slide/Slide in all directions . . ."
Leonard Cohen
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Natalie,

MAZEL TOV !!!!! :D

So you are a mother now: I accept your apologies for lack of commentary over the summer 8)

Natalie, get real: from what you've revealed there's so much light in your life you don't need your husband to chase after light-bulbs. Let it be.

I'm still writing :!: , and, better still, surviving :D

Keep in touch, between changing nappies ( or do they say "diapers" in the United States of America, and Canada too?)

Andrew.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Andrew,

LMAO!!!! You're right -- the light in my life is blinding my eyes currently! Hallelujah for that!

And giving birth is the best experience of my life bar none. No wonder James Joyce devoted so much time and energy to the entire experience in UlyssesDaniel gave me a beautiful keyboard for Christmas and I was crying tears of joy for about an hour. I began piano lessons when I was 8 years old. I have been writing my music on my guitar for 8 years, but I can't wait to get on the keyboard and write.

But, baby is my priority. He is my life's greatest work!

Happy Christmas!

Shalom,

Natalie :roll:

P.S. Yes, Canadians call 'nappies' diapers, but my friend who hails from Sheffield calls them 'nappies' and says 'ace' a lot, which I love!

Return to “News”