Hallelujah on UK X-Factor (all threads merged here)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Habie

Re: Hallelujah on UK X-Factor (all threads merged here)

Postby Habie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:18 am

PS.

Hydriot (not rigid or pompous at all):

I totally agree with your reaction to Alexandra's second rendition - however much The Cowell-meister and his gang may have tried to shoehorn her into meaninglessness, her voice and her emotion reconnected with the song anyway. Hurrah for transcendence amidst mediocrity!

That will remain one of my favourite ever moments of Reality TV (Ok, there's not much competition).

Wouldn't it be great if Alexandra now told Cowell and Co to go to hell, and became her own woman, an independent artist, and sung her heart out for the love of singing itself, and listened to the words she sings and loved them?

Well, I can dream can't I?
richardrj

Postby richardrj » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:54 pm

Andrew McGeever wrote:Could someone (maybe Jarkko?) please clarify if Leonard will recieve song-writing royalties from the sales of Alexandra'a "Hallelujah"?
This page suggests that he will:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/a13 ... -song.html

But I wouldn't trust it, necessarily. The piece seems confused between royalties and performance fees. It makes it clear that Sony own the rights to the commercial use of the song, and they're the ones who are selling it to the TV company. On the other hand, Cohen is still under contract to Sony, so who knows.
sebmelmoth2003

Postby sebmelmoth2003 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:39 pm

there's a new stage musical of shrek - i don't know if it includes THE SONG!!

SHREK The Musical celebrated a grand opening on Broadway last night and the titular green ogre is set to stampede in to the West End...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Yer mean that song that wot won the X-factor the uvver night? - y'know that one that sounds a bit like wot they sing in church?
Deena

Postby Deena » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Been avoiding the x factor and any of the current ‘ x factees’ rendition of one of the greatest songs of all time…felt kind of wounded by the very idea of it. However, have just read through the posts on this thread and have actually changed my opinion. I’m with you on this one John – you’ve seen the light (it got in through the crack!).

Still haven’t checked out the youtube clips though – prefer to hang on to my memories of Leonard totally reclaiming the song as his own this summer/autumn.

Ps - John and Habie - Lily the Pink brings back so many happy childhood xmas memories for me (I was around 6) and ‘I’m a Gnu’ always makes me grin.

Deena
John Etherington wrote:A friend of mine, who has a good perception of these things, has pointed out something obvious about the "Halleujah" phenomenon that should have occurred to me in the first place. She said that it is a collective spiritual hunger that is the reason why the song has to be enter the wider public consciousness, at this time. Suddenly, it became clear to me that if Alexandra (and is it JLS?) are the ones who have been chosen to bring the song to the greater populace right now, then that's the way it's got to be.

All good things, John E
sebmelmoth2003

Hallelujah with Mayo

Postby sebmelmoth2003 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 pm

hallelujahfest begins 1 hour and 45 minutes into programme approx - 14.45 hours - the radio 2 elbow programme revisited with new comments and interjections.

plus interview with leon jackson.

i had to leave home about 25 minutes after the fest began and it was still going strong.

the elbow guy said leonard's version was a "little bit soulless" - what a cheek!!

click `listen again` monday to hear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/mayo.shtml
mike_b

Postby mike_b » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Much appreciations for the above link. Does anyone know where I can get to hear the Radio 2 documentary on the song? Kicking myself for having missed it.
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Eureka! - I think Leonard should record a cover version of "Lily the Pink", to put things in perspective.
david birkett

If there is any kind of God above....

Postby david birkett » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:56 am

...someone will produce and market a t-shirt bearing the legend "Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah - the original and the best". I'd buy a few.

Peace.

David
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
stargazer61

Postby stargazer61 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:00 am

[quote="John Etherington"]Eureka! - I think Leonard should record a cover version of "Lily the Pink", to put things in perspective.[/quote

Now that would be worth seeing.....perhaps as a final encore on the tour! :roll:
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
vixen_5

Postby vixen_5 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:43 am

my 12 year old daughter has heard the lc version of hallelujah so often (just about every time she is in my car ) she is now able to impress all her friends by knowing all the words who are only hearing it for the first time now :D
bluefluff

Postby bluefluff » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:53 am

Imagine, if you will, the car park of Asda, Grimsby, on a drizzly December evening... through the air floats an inebriated chorus of "Ally-loo-yah". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! :roll:
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:20 am

Hi bluefluff.

I've just had an thought...I could resolve my own financial crisis this Christmas, by selling limited edition "Unified Heart" ear plugs!
stargazer61

Postby stargazer61 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:41 am

bluefluff wrote:Imagine, if you will, the car park of Asda, Grimsby, on a drizzly December evening... through the air floats an inebriated chorus of "Ally-loo-yah". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! :roll:
Hi Bluefluff!
I laughed out loud when I read your post until I realised that you could very well be right!
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 am

I was just checking out my myspace page, and this came through a hole in the air! http://www.alexandraburkeofficial.com/

Return to “News”