Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows - Nov. 9 on CBC at 9pm EST

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
fisherinbelfast

Re: Everybody Knows On CBC-TV

Post by fisherinbelfast » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:26 pm

you can download it from mininova
Murf

Post by Murf » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:20 pm

No one is seeding on Mininova. :(
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:11 am

It is so lovely to see this wonderfully lovely man talking of that time in Montreal, with my having been so fortunate to see him all three nights, as well as the Tribute... well, sort of ;-) , eh, Dick?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
fisherinbelfast

Post by fisherinbelfast » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:11 pm

i seeded it
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:14 pm

You Easterners do not know how lucky you are! Flights to places like Montreal or T.O. are more expensive for Victorians/Vancouverites than flights to Europe!

I'll probably be dead of sleep-deprivation before I see him.

Must admit, was a little disappointed by the CBC special. Everybody knows that nothing can replace a 'live' performance.

I hope everyone is well.

Cheers,

Natalie :roll:
dick

Post by dick » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Everybody knows you are right Natalie -- the LIVE lc in Montreal was supendous, while the tribute was lots of fun for Huge crowd and a couple of good performances (Adam, and Michel and even Steven Page were more than ok) --- but nothing compares with the man himself.

Hope for you that west coast Canada will come about this summer -- AFTER Yew York City!!

How's married life treating you?

Dick
gingermop

Post by gingermop » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:11 pm

mwaldman wrote: The promo is still available on Youtube at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVFz91-mEls
Is that Ed Sanders playing 'The Barman'?

If so, nice touch.

G
dick

Re: Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows - Nov. 9 on CBC at 9pm EST

Post by dick » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Another knowledgeable insider confirmed your suspician Ginger....

yep

Ed is the bartender!
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Yes, okay, I must admit, still seething with jealousy over the privileged Montrealers ('the chosen ones') being able to take part in this. For anyone who doesn't know Canada, it is a very large country, and we are always SHAFTED and I mean SHAFTED on the West Coast. Everything is so eastern-centric (Toronto is the centre of the universe in Canada). It's about time that someone takes notice of where the true talent today lies in this country. We are talking Victoria and Vancouver and the Gulf Islands. This is where the Artists live. There are amazing native artists, and folk musicians and you name it -- the creativity is just a thing of absolute beauty over here. It's the best kept secret in the world, as far as I'm concerned. Victoria is Canada's premier jewel by far - it is a piece of paradise that is for the most part untouched by development.

So, for someone like me, who has hosted intimate L.C. tributes from undiscovered, severely talented musicians) that have been very moving and profound events, to see this tribute on TV with people like Serena Ryder and Stephen Page was a little much. When you've lived in this country all of your life (I'm 36) and know people who know people who know people. . . Word gets around about musicians. I used to work at the Save on Foods Memorial Arena here in Victoria, and you hear stuff and experience stuff. If musicians think that staff does not talk about them, they are sooo wrong and it spreads like a slow, but intense wildfire, and yes, it will come back to haunt them. As Justin Timberlake sings (I love him so much), "What goes around, comes around" So true.

On a positive note, wonderful that this was done, even better that CBC covered it. We love CBC here --such a national treasure. But, I would like CBC to come around here and have their socks blown off by the incredible wonder that's out here in the West. Travel prices are better now with the state of the economy, so I'm telling everybody that you need to come to Victoria and experience this gorgeous city (David Foster is from here and he made Celine Dion what she is today).

Okay, I'm e-blabbing, but I do feel bitter and sorry for myself, but still happy that this tribute was done in the first place.

I hope everyone is well.

Best,

46jimbo

Post by 46jimbo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:19 am

Here's a link to son Adam singing with Serena Ryder on the tribute show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HY-iJrymBQ
Darling

Post by Darling » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Natalie wrote: David Foster is from here and he made Celine Dion what she is today
Hum, her voice, her hard work and her determination might have something to do with it too... (and there's this guy named René Angelil...)

Be happy, it's 7°C below zero in Montréal right now and 7 °C over in Victoria. With what you save on heating bills you can buy yourself tickets for every LC show when he does visit beautiful BC next year. :)

Say hello to the tulips in February...
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi everyone and Dick,

I didn't notice that you had asked how marrying life was treating me out West. Well, um . . .

Daniel and I were blessed with a baby boy at the end of August, so I'm on maternity leave and taking care of our bundle of joy.

So, everybody knows that my fandom is second place now to the love of my beautiful angel (who came, incidentally, as a bit of a SURPRISE!!!!)

I just love this Forum. It, of course, does not replace seeing everyone in person. I was just looking at my Montreal and NYC pics this morning, which brought back fond memories.

I have been feverishly writing, because motherhood has brought out this intense creativity in me, so I've got about seven new songs written.

I hope everyone is well.

Best,

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Hi Darling,

In Victoria, we have our annual flower count in February while the rest of Canada is suffering in winter. Aaahhhhh. Moving from Edmonton was a bonne idee.

Do you think he'll come out West? He has many, many, many fans here. There are many people here who have a personal story about him.

Best,

Darling

Post by Darling » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:00 pm

Natalie wrote: Do you think he'll come out West?
Sure, he will. I'm not so sure about my dream of a Québec tour though, sigh...
Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Darling,

Parlez-vous le francais?

You really think he'll come out here? When his tour was announced with all the dates out in eastern Canada, and the dates in Europe, and then NOT seeing anything out West, well, I just resigned myself to the fact that he was not coming. I wrote to Jarkko, and he said, essentially, that it did not look good == those Finns are so skilled in not getting your hopes up! It must be the northern climate.

Whereabouts are you in Quebec? I hear that Quebec City is quite lovely. I was in Montreal in May 2000, and I fell in love with the city. I have a lot of friends who have moved out East. I have a friend who is living in Montreal now, friends in Toronto and a friend who lives in a small town near Sudbury.

Anyway, have an excellent day.

Best,

Return to “News”