Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows - Nov. 9 on CBC at 9pm EST

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
anyolite

Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows - Nov. 9 on CBC at 9pm EST

Post by anyolite »

Thought this might be of interest to Canadian fans. From the Toronto Star Starweek TV magazine:

This summer, Leonard Cohen went home for the first time in 15 years, and his city held a really loud party for him.

The occasion was the annual Montreal International Jazz Festival, and the event combined a free outdoor tribute concert for more than 100,000 on the city's main drag, rue Ste-Catherine, and an indoor concert by Himself at Place des Arts.

Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows, airing Sunday on CBC, is a partial record of that event.

The show consists of black-and-white footage of Cohen performing such hits as "Hallelujah", "Suzanne" and "Closing Time" from the concert hall, intercut with colour film of the outdoor concert.

Here's a clip from the show on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVFz91-mEls

Here's also a scan of the full article:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p125 ... icle_s.jpg

anyolite.
astranger

Re: Leonard Cohen: Everybody Knows - Nov. 9 on CBC at 9pm EST

Post by astranger »

wish we had the CBC in the US!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
opendoor

Everybody Knows On CBC-TV

Post by opendoor »

According to Google Alerts, a tribute to Leonard Cohen, entitled Everybody Knows will be broadcast at 9:00 p.m. tonight. Adam Cohen will be one of the performers as well as three songs from Leonard himself.

opendoor
Darling

Re: Everybody Knows On CBC-TV

Post by Darling »

Great news!
It's the June tribute at the Montreal Jazz Festival.
Since the tv program will last only one hour, I guess they won't be showing the whole show, hopefully they'll keep the best parts namely the songs by Cohen himself with his image on the buildings of Montreal.
The promo is wonderful, 3:20 minutes of LC interview! :D
See it there: http://www.cbc.ca/television/

Edit: Sorry, it's not there anymore... :(
Last edited by Darling on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darling

Post by Darling »

astranger wrote:wish we had the CBC in the US!
If it can comfort you, you can at least see the promo, a 3 minutes interview with LC: http://www.cbc.ca/television/
stfa

Post by stfa »

Hi all! Thanks for the heads up......it was great watching that!!! It reminded me all over again how blessed all of those who got to see him this tour were......I had chills and tears just watching the videos........I was sorry they cut the Pag version of The Future which the French CBC showed earlier in the summer.......what a combo Pag and Leonard!!!!! Anyway I am hoping all of us proud Canadians, Acadiens and Quebecois will be blessed with a return trip at the end of this touring!!!!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
i'msuzanne

Post by i'msuzanne »

The stars were aligned...I happened to be in the Adirondacks in northern NYS for the night (I live south of there, don't get Canadian TV at home). A Buffalo Bills fan, I watched the game earlier in the day, covered on CBC. Turned the telly on just before 9 pm (knowing nothing about this show and still tuned to CBC), and LC came on, singing Suzanne. What were the chances of that? I was in heaven once again. I saw his first show in Montreal after having to give away my Kitchener tickets weeks earlier due to a family illness. Was seated dead center, 8th row back in Montreal. So I was pinching myself tonight that once again, Leonard entered my life unseen, unasked for.

In addition, he sang Hallelujah and Closing Time. The rest were covers, including two by his son, Adam. Perhaps the CBC will sell the video as a DVD at some point?
Natalie

"Busted in the Blinding Light" CBC "Everybody Knows"

Post by Natalie »

Hi everyone,

To be honest, I was a little disappointed with this. I think what tainted it for me right from the get go was a bad experience serving Serena Ryder in Victoria (Janice wants her lipstick back) and seeing Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies frontman) perform and wondering if he had done a line of coke prior to his performance.

There is a lot of talent in Canada, among the best in the world (think Celine Dion, David Foster, Neil Young to name a few), and I was hoping that we were going to get treated to something great. It was wonderful seeing Leonard sing, and I hope that we will have the honour to host him out in Western Canada next year.

We loved Leonard and his performances "Hallelujah" and "Closing Time" and seeing Sharon Robinson and the backup singers. The band backing the performers was excellent.

"It looks like freedom, but it smells like death/it's something in between I guess"

So, that's my honest review of the CBC piece.

I hope everyone is well.

Best,

Natalie
madeline

Post by madeline »

This movie made me happy when I saw it. The kids idolize him and sing his songs with such focus and love. Just gorgeous.
writer of contemporary women's erotica, 3 novels with Black Lace, numerous short stories published in anthologies. Screenwriter with short film and TV credits.
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Well of course it wasn't Leonard--but lovely to listen to the tributes. Leonard so humbly accepts the tributes that are given to him, that I am happy for him. I am also happy that his music continues to bring admiration and love from all generations. I had a note from a friend yesterday who told me his wife, is planning to buy tickets for Leonard in Brisbane. I would not have expected her to be a fan, and I had to convert this 77 year old friend of mine to even acknowledge Leonard as a poet--I was successful. After years of sometimes feeling like I was alone in my deep admiration, after hearing critical comments and sneers at times, I am happy to see that so many feel as I do. In fact some people are even crazier about Leonard than I am--some younger people :shock:
dick

Post by dick »

Hi Darling

Realize I am almost a week late.... but I don't see any Cohen promo or interview from the link in your post. If it is still there, please give a hint on how to find it!

thanks
dick
Darling

Post by Darling »

Dick wrote:Hi Darling

Realize I am almost a week late.... but I don't see any Cohen promo or interview from the link in your post. If it is still there, please give a hint on how to find it!

thanks
dick
I guess they removed it after the show aired, sorry... I'll edit my post.
merrygoround

Post by merrygoround »

Hi, I was at the tribute show this summer as I live in Montreal, am a fan of LC (but passed on the concert thinking he would be past his prime, BIG MISTAKE!) and the tribute show was magical , seeing his changing image on the skyscrapers around the site, listening to the words and melodies even though sung by younger artists and I thought it was fun. I also enjoyed watching it on the tv, nostalgia for a great evening, although i know it cannot replace the man himself the purpose was giving him the well deserved recognition in his hometown and in a worldrenowned festival and getting him to agree to that was a real coup by the filmfest creator, of course we all thought he might show at the end but his son graciously expressed his family thanks and shared how the whole family had gathered in Montreal for the concert and a reunion. Touching and moving and his presence was felt.....I actually enjoyed some performances more than others but even just having the words shone onto the surrounding skyscrapers along with images related to the song gave a whole new appreciation to his unique artistry and there were tons of young people there for a free concert who will have discovered his musical and poetic talents for the first time(:
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

Dick wrote:Hi Darling

thanks
dick
Hi Dick -

The promo is still available on Youtube at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVFz91-mEls

Enjoy!

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
dick

Post by dick »

A ton of thanks Mike

As Darling indicated -- a very worthwhile and delightful interview!

Hope no fans miss it!

Return to “News”