MOJO and UNCUT magazines (December issues)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Davido

MOJO and UNCUT magazines (December issues)

Postby Davido » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Mojo No 181 December issue just out. Free 'covers' cd.
Mojo181.jpg
Mojo181.jpg (106.58 KiB) Viewed 8946 times
Mojo cd.jpg
Mojo cd.jpg (56.61 KiB) Viewed 8913 times
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
Davido

Re: MOJO magazine

Postby Davido » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Excellent eleven-page article by Sylvie Simmons.
Mojo radio will have special Leonard Cohen weekend 14th - 16th November.
MOJO4MUSIC.com - vote for LC's greatest songs and win LC related goodies!
Also, from this article:
'' Kory has been looking into the possibility of making all the concerts available in an online bootleg format, and there are plans to release a live album early next year and a DVD of Cohen's extraordinary show at London's 02 Arena. Cohen has also been writing new songs. So, assuming he has enough that meet his exacting standard, he may start recording a new album between the end of the European tour and the start of his first US jaunt in years in the late spring. There's also talk of making the new songs available one at a time, as they're completed.''

Dave
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Dave...

Wow! Assuming even a portion of this is correct it is indeed exciting news!!! :D :D

The cd's, live album, dvd, new songs and the possibility of a US tour! Be still my heart!!
I'll have to try and snag the magazine somewhere here in the US. Thank you for making my day! :D

Diana
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:18 pm

The MOJO comment may not be 100 % accurate: after the Fall 2008 leg in Europe, the next one seems to turn to the Pacific.
If the tour continues, North America will follow later. I wonder whether there is time enough to finalize the next album between the legs. Everybody involved needs to rest, too!!!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
asta

Postby asta » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:25 pm

Must get a copy. As Mojo is a UK magazine, are The Webb Sisters mentioned? (The only Brit's in this wonderful band?) Asta
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:58 am

I could only find the November issue of MOJO at Borders and Barnes & Noble here in the US. Will keep watching for the December issue BUT do they have the same issue in Europe and the US?? Hopefully, yes! :D
Davido

Postby Davido » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:57 am

asta,
No, unfortunately the Webb Sisters don't get a mention.
It's more of a career retrospective,intelligently written by Sylvie Simmons (a knowledgeable lifelong fan - she wrote the booklet accompanying the 'Mojo Presents: An Introduction to LC' album) plus comments and memories from Leonard('' I have a lot of acid stories. I had a special communion with the daisies''); significant women in his life; a separate piece by Phil Alexander 'How Judy Collins forced LC onto the New York stage'; great photos; and every album reviewed and rated.
ladydi,
As far as I can tell from the Mojo website there is only one version of the mag. available throughout the world.
Dave
Last edited by Davido on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AvidCohenFan

Postby AvidCohenFan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Davido wrote: It's more of a career retrospective,intelligently written by Sylvie Simmons (a knowledgeable lifelong fan - she wrote the booklet accompanying the Essential LC album)
Isn't it Pico Iyer?
Yankovic

Postby Yankovic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:44 pm

They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
Davido

Postby Davido » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:47 pm

AvidCohenFan wrote:
Davido wrote: It's more of a career retrospective,intelligently written by Sylvie Simmons (a knowledgeable lifelong fan - she wrote the booklet accompanying the Essential LC album)
Isn't it Pico Iyer?
Very sorry, you're right, I'm wrong. I was thinking of the' Mojo Presents' collection,from 2003. I have edited my original post.
Dave
Last edited by Davido on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yankovic

Postby Yankovic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:52 pm

Last edited by Yankovic on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHGuy

Postby DrHGuy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:59 pm

Davido wrote:asta,
As far as I can tell from the Mojo website there is only one version of the mag. available throughout the world.
Dave
According to the MOJO Newsletter, Metallica will grace the cover of the US edition. Pertinent excerpt from newsletter follows:
Date: Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:36 PM
Subject: Leonard Cohen, We Salute You

THE MOJO WEEKLY MESSENGER 24/10/08
FIVE YEARS AGO, if I'd told you Leonard Cohen was going to wow Glastonbury and sell out an arena tour of Europe, you'd have told me to have a soothing beverage and a long lie down. But such is the scale of Cohen's revival, his unlikely emergence from (literally) monkish exile, his flirtation with financial ruin and the sheer charisma and excellence that his shows this year have evinced, it has reawakened excitement for his work wherever fans of proper music congregate. Where many a rock musician, from Bono to Sting to Patti Smith, might aspire to poet status, here's the real thing, struggling with the big stuff – love, life and whatnot – and coming to difficult conclusions with effortless grace. This month's MOJO magazine takes its hats off to Laughing Len – a true original in a world of knock-off pygmies.

NEXT WEEK: NEW MOJO!
The latest issue of the proper music magazine goes on sale on Tuesday. On the cover: Leonard Cohen (Metallica in America). A brilliant Sylvie Simmons piece traces his resurrection as he prepares to revel in his November arena tour, while a beaut FREE covers CD (pictured) features Nick Cave, Martha Wainwright, Dion, Ian McCulloch and more! (emphasis mine)
Yankovic

Postby Yankovic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:59 pm

John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:41 pm

I thought Sylvie Simmons' article was good, as it covered a familiar story with a degree of originality. I wasn't so impressed with her album evaluations, but rightly she gave no album less than three stars (though 4 for "Dear Heather" and 3 for "The Future"? C'mon!).

The CD is surely the most worthless thing since "Tower of Song". Katie Melua's "In My Secret Life" is reasonable, and Dion's "Sisters of Mercy" is passable, but I didn't like the way he sang the last line of each verse. Judy Collins' "Song of Bernadette" didn't sound too bad, but I quickly got bored with it. The final track on the CD jumped, but who cares? I'll certainly never play it again!

John E
Jim Williams

Postby Jim Williams » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:46 am

Blimey, I was just about to post a message about the latest issue of Uncut, which features a 10 page piece on the Cohen tour... but I didn't know about this. Excellent.
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.

Return to “News”