HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Sheila

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD!

Post by Sheila » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:07 pm

I wish you a very happy, if belated, birthday dear Leonard. I hope it was a good one and that the year ahead will be happy, healthy and successful for you. Thank you for all the joy you have given us over the years, and especially during this year's tour. I wish you continued success.

Sheila
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:25 pm

leonardmtl wrote:An Interpretation.

The illustration in Leonards's message contains connected hands and a "shiin" in the center of the unified heart. This also stands for shaddai, the Hebrew name for G-d
A kohen ( priest), which is Leonards heritage, traditionally has his hands form this letter shiin, as he recites the Priestly Prayers.

That prayer is as follows:

May the Lord bless you and guard you – יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה, וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ
May the Lord shine His countenance toward you and be gracious to you – יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ
May the Lord lift up His countenance toward you and give you peace – יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם

I cannot express how moved I am by this respectful, humble way for LC to acknowledge the outpouring from this forum . ...and to implore G-d to bless us, to guard us, to be gracious to us and give us us peace:

It doesn't get any better!

Extraordinary!

Leonard from Montreal
Thank you. :)

The prayer quote is from the Book of Ruth, is it not?
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:54 pm

Dear Leonard,

I also want to send you my very, very best, if somewhat belated, birthday wishes!! I hope that you will celebrate many more anniversaries and that you will carry on to live for music much longer! Of course, I realize that normally, the birthday celebrant receives presents. But in this case, it will have to be the other way round, for I would very much like to express my gratitude for what you have given me (and, no doubt, countless others): So thank you so much for all the profound insights and joy your songs and your works of art bring, and just for also being such a kind, warm-hearted person - an inspiration in every way!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 am

Yes, it is....and he also quoted from Ruth at the end of his Toronto show, although it was somewhat inauduble from the 5th row because of the unbelievable excitement of the audience..a reach to a universal book to illustrate a beautiful way to express love...Wow!

Did he quote Ruth elsewhere ?

Leonard from Montreal

Fljotsdale wrote:

The illustration in Leonards's message contains connected hands and a "shiin" in the center of the unified heart. This also stands for shaddai, the Hebrew name for G-d
A kohen ( priest), which is Leonards heritage, traditionally has his hands form this letter shiin, as he recites the Priestly Prayers.

May the Lord shine His countenance toward you and be gracious to you – יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ
May the Lord lift up His countenance toward you and give you peace – יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם

I cannot express how moved I am by this respectful, humble way for LC to acknowledge the outpouring from this forum . ...and to implore G-d to bless us, to guard us, to be gracious to us and give us us peace:

It doesn't get any better!

Extraordinary!

Leonard from Montreal
Thank you. :)

The prayer quote is from the Book of Ruth, is it not?
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:55 am

leonardmtl wrote: Yes, it is....and he also quoted from Ruth at the end of his Toronto show, although it was somewhat inauduble from the 5th row because of the unbelievable excitement of the audience..a reach to a universal book to illustrate a beautiful way to express love...Wow!

Leonard from Montreal
I was kindly sent a sound recording of that show. :D So I heard it.

Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. He uses biblical events a lot in his lyrics, as you know.

One of the things I love most about Leonard is that he doesn't hide that he is an ordinary, fallible man - but at the same time he is also a most extraordinary man. It is hard not to love him.

Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:26 am

mydoglorca wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEONARD - BELATED
....... our new dog- his name Leonard, of course!
"I swept the marble chambers,
But you sent me down below"

8)

Nice doggy dog, Federico Garcia Lorca, in any case. :)

Thanks for the translation - so to speak.

This prayer silents me. I am all silence and quietness.

This may be a proof of miracle or something ;-)
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:40 am

Happy Birthday, Mr. Cohen!

A little belated this time
But I'm sure you don't mind

Even my best friends don't get an email birthday greeting each year.
But you're special, even if not really a friend.

Don't be a Stranger.

Richard
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 am

I wonder, do you still have the words to the Book of Ruth moment in Toronto. I'd love to put words to the intensity of what I saw....

Yes, LC is the real deal...he opens his shirt and shows his heart...... I cried through the whole show with my shirt open!

leonard from Montreal

Fljotsdale wrote:
leonardmtl wrote: Yes, it is....and he also quoted from Ruth at the end of his Toronto show, although it was somewhat inauduble from the 5th row because of the unbelievable excitement of the audience..a reach to a universal book to illustrate a beautiful way to express love...Wow!

Leonard from Montreal
I was kindly sent a sound recording of that show. :D So I heard it.

Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. He uses biblical events a lot in his lyrics, as you know.

One of the things I love most about Leonard is that he doesn't hide that he is an ordinary, fallible man - but at the same time he is also a most extraordinary man. It is hard not to love him.
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
lilyrose

Post by lilyrose » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:30 am

jarkko wrote:From Leonard in Bucharest:
Thank you so much for your good wishes, your encouragement, and your blessings.
They are deeply appreciated.

Leonard

Jarkko, thank you for conveying the message, how very wonderful that Leonard wrote to us!... :D :D :D :D
lightning

Post by lightning » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:16 pm

The Birthday Cake on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23KksKM45U
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Lightning, thanks for posting this.
Don't you just love him!!

Frisco
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 pm

leonardmtl wrote:I wonder, do you still have the words to the Book of Ruth moment in Toronto. I'd love to put words to the intensity of what I saw....

Yes, LC is the real deal...he opens his shirt and shows his heart...... I cried through the whole show with my shirt open!

leonard from Montreal

I was wrong. It isn't Ruth, it's Numbers chapter 6, verses 24 to 26.

The verses in Ruth that I had in mind were:

"Do not plead with me to abandon you, to turn back from accompanying you; for where you go I shall go, and where you spend the night I shall spend the night. Your people will be my people, and your god my god. Where you die I shall die, and there is where I shall be buried. May (god) do so to me and add to it if anything but death make a separation between me and you."

It wasn't the words, but the same intensity of feeling in the words that made me mistake. :oops:

To get the words from the concert, I'll just have to listen to the recording again, won't I? :D

Eh... just put it on and noticed I have the Moncton concert, not the Montreal, but he said the same thing... I'm almost certain. I hope I didn't hear it u-tube... I'm geting senile...

devadeborah

Post by devadeborah » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:48 am

Happy Birthday Mr Cohen.....your songs, your presence your confirmation has made life more , you have held many hands and hearts into the depths with a profound glory. I just love you ..... the heart has no borders...so it must be forever...... Deborah
Violet

Post by Violet » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:24 pm

... I've decided to forego the poem I'd originally posted here, for the one on p. 10... that one somehow expresses more of what I wanted to say... v.
Last edited by Violet on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Violet
Minna

Post by Minna » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Happy belated birbday Leonard!
a new petition for Troy Davis at http://amnestyusa.org/troydavis

Return to “News”