Leonard to receive Montreal Jazz Festival Award

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Darling

Re: Leonard to receive Montreal Jazz Festival Award

Post by Darling » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:03 am

Dream Warrior wrote:

J'aime Buffy Sainte Marie aussi! Anyone in Montreal to see M. Cohen should try and see her as well. She is a fabulous Canadian singer/song-writer as well.
Are you lucky enough to have your ticket for her June 27th show? There are no more left. Gee. If I had known I would be coming back to Montreal, I would have checked the FIJM program a bit more carefully. I love Coincidence and Likely Stories .
jglBB

Post by jglBB » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:07 pm

I'm a huge fan of Leonard Cohen but I happen to also be a fan of Katie Melua. They both have almost the same birthday +/- a few days and 50 years. I do have tickets for Miss Melua concert in Place des Arts on June 26th. After her full set, around 21:30, she will also be part of this outdoor free hommage concert to Leonard among other artists. She's also a huge fan of Mr Cohen and has covered "In My Secret Life" on her last album. My two musical worlds meeting together on the same stage! Will be another interesting evening I guess.
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:06 am

"Are you lucky enough to have your ticket for her June 27th show? There are no more left. Gee. If I had known I would be coming back to Montreal, I would have checked the FIJM program a bit more carefully. I love Coincidence and Likely Stories"

No, sadly, don't have to tickets to see her. She is playing in Ottawa THIS week-end, but have to work and won't see here then either. I have seen her perform 4 or 5 times. I love that whole album too.
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 pm

He re are the last news concerning tonight Tribute to Leonard, as the opening event of The Montreal Jazz Festival.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080 ... 017/CPARTS

It is thus confirmed that in addition to songs,footage from the actual tour will be projected,as filmed by Lian Lunson ( I'm Your Man).
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
merrygoround

Post by merrygoround » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:22 am

What a great tribute at the montreal jazz fest. loved the poetry, interpretations and tapes from concert. I was impressed with garou, katie melua, enjoyed them all and it was wonderful to hear his son and watch him pay tribute to his father and receive the award. Awesome, cant wait to discover this site as it brings back so much nostalgia for the work of this famous and talented montrealer. I am truly amazed that in this period of his life he has been able to put on three hour concerts to such critical acclaim. He is a legend and as a Montrealer I am very proud to live in the city where he began his astonishing career.
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:53 pm

merrygoround wrote:What a great tribute at the montreal jazz fest. loved the poetry, interpretations and tapesfrom concert
Here are 22 photographs of Cohen in Montreal at différent periods of his life,including some of yesterday's tribute (the first three or four) in front of 100,000 persons.

http://galeriedephotos.cyberpresse.ca/i ... 125975.jpg

And away he goes...
Darling

Post by Darling » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:27 pm

To the best of my memories, I'm not too sure about the order:

Start with Chris Botti playing Hallelujah from a nearby roof, then projection of LC singing it on giant screens.
Zachary Richard : Bird On A Wire
Buffy Sainte-Marie: The Partisan.
Steven Page: A Singer Must Die.
Adam Cohen: Take This Waltz
Adam Cohen with Serena Ryder: Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Serena Ryder: Sisters Of Mercy
Madeleine Peyroux: Dance Me To The End Of Love
Katie Melua: In My Secret Life
Lhasa de Sela with Thomas Hellman: So Long Marianne
Lhasa de Sela: Who By Fire
Steven Page with Joe Lovano at the saxophone: Memories
Chris Botti (trumpet): A Thousand Kisses Deep with the words projected in the back of the stage
Garou : Everybody Knows
Michel Pagliaro: The Future
Giant screen: Leonard Cohen singing Closing Time
Salute from all the artists followed by Leonard Cohen singing Suzanne on giant screens.

The artists were excellent and most seemed to be very honored to play tribute to the great Leonard Cohen. I became a Steven Page fan last night after his beautiful interpretation of A Singer Must Die and an amazing Memories with Joe Lovano, hot!
I also particularly liked Madeleine Peyroux' Billie Holiday-esque version of Dance Me To The End Of Love, Katie Melua and of course our good old Pag who was true to his rocker self. I also liked hearing Buffy Sainte-Marie sing The Partisan, coming from a First Nation person, it took a whole new dimension. And Chris Botti's A Thousand Kisses Deep was something else. My friend said :'This guy is the Jeff Buckley of the trumpet!'

But, I was really not impressed with Garou who couldn't sing a single verse without looking at the monitor. (Oh, sorry, he knew Everybody knows, everybody knows, everybody knows) One time, when he was too busy posing for a camera, he even was unable to finish one line. :!: :roll: Shameful. I guess it's common for people to take a peep at the monitor once in a while, to make sure that they don't make mistakes, but this was just too much. Artists who were playing in front of such a large crowd for the first time and who would have had many reasons to be nervous did much better than him. I know that the crowd liked him and that many will disagree with me but hey, that's life. 8)

All in all, the show was great and it was great to see our LC image projected on the buildings of downtown Montreal. :D
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks to Patrick Younès, Adi Heindl and Henning Franz for this information:

ARTE TV (French/germn cultural channel) will show the Montreal Tribute Concert (June 26) on JULY 14 at 10:45 pm (90 minutes). The channel is
available on satellite all over Europe. (According to German sources it begins 5 minutes earlier!)

The program is credited to ZDF (=2nd national network in Germany) and it may show it earlier.

Something we need to put on DVD!!!
lundi, 14 juillet 2008 à 22:45
Hommage à Leonard Cohen
(Canada, 2008, 90mn)
ZDF
Réalisateur: Pierre Lamoureux

En ouverture du 29e Festival de Jazz de Montréal le 26 juin, un concert hommage au grand Leonard Cohen, avec une pléiade de stars au micro et le retour sur scène de cette icône de la chanson après quinze ans d'absence.

Cette 29e édition débute par un hommage à l'un des plus grands auteurs-compositeurs-interprètes de notre temps, Leonard Cohen. Intronisé cette année au célèbre "Panthéon du rock", le chanteur, poète et romancier, né à Montréal en 1934, compte aujourd'hui plus de quarante années de chansons, émaillées d'incontestables classiques, de "Suzanne" à "Everybody knows" en passant par "So long, Marianne" ou "Bird on a wire". Avec sa voix grave, si caractéristique, ses arrangements minimalistes et ses paroles envoûtantes, Leonard Cohen a exercé une influence considérable sur de nombreux artistes. Son répertoire fait depuis longtemps l'objet de reprises parfois inspirées, comme la sublime version d'"Hallelujah" revue par John Cale et interprétée par le regretté Jeff Buckley, ou encore la toute récente interprétation de "Suzanne" par Alain Bashung.
Une pléiade de grands noms participe à ce concert exceptionnel : Katie Melua, Michael Bublé, Damien Rice, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, Win Butler / Regine Chassagne (Arcade Fire), Madeleine Peyroux, KD Lang, Buffy Ste-Marie, Chris Botti, Ron Sexmith, Steven Page (Barenaked Ladies), Zachary Richard, Jennifer Warnes, Regina Spektor interprètent tour à tour les compositions de Leonard Cohen. En bonus, les meilleurs moments du concert donné la veille par Leonard Cohen himself !
Internationales Jazzfestival von Montréal: Hommage an Leonard Cohen

Montag, 14. Juli um 22.40 Uhr

Von Jahr zu Jahr zieht das internationale Jazzfestival von Montréal mehr Fans an. In seiner langjährigen Geschichte hat sich das Festival zum wichtigsten Treffen der Jazzwelt entwickelt. Das gigantische Musik-Sommer-Festival bietet mit den Besten der kanadischen und internationalen Szene täglich zwölf Stunden Musik. Ungefähr 2.000 Künstler und mehr als eineinhalb Millionen Festivalbesucher pilgern jedes Jahr nach Montréal. Dieses Event ist für Musikliebhaber jeden Alters und jeder Kultur ein besonderes Ereignis. ARTE zeigt den Auftakt des Festivals - eine Hommage an Leonhard Cohen.

Musik, Kanada 2008, ZDF, Erstausstrahlung, 90 Min.
Regie: Pierre Lamoureux

Zum Auftakt des diesjährigen Montreal Jazz Festivals wird eine Hommage an den kanadischen Singer-Songwriter Leonard Cohen veranstaltet. Zahlreiche von Cohens Titeln, mit seinen charakteristischen minimalistisch-eingängigen Arrangements, wurden in den letzten Jahren von anderen Künstlern interpretiert; es sind zudem eine Reihe von Tributalben erschienen.

Im Lineup dieses außergewöhnlichen Konzerts finden sich außerdem so bekannte Namen wie: Katie Melua, Damien Rice, Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Martha Wainwright, Rufus Wainwright, Win Butler/Regine Chassagne , Madeleine Peyroux, KD Lang, Jennifer Warnes, Regina Spektor und viele mehr.

Leonard Cohen selbst wird mit einigen Songs seines Konzerts vom Vortag zu hören sein.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Use this link to have a preview of this impressively colorfull performance.

http://multimedia.cyberpresse.ca/photos ... cohen.html
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:34 pm

This is the most complete gathering of facts and accounts ( photos,videos,interviews,newspaper articles...) about Leonard Cohen Tribute evening in Montreal june 26th.

Look up the following section of the internet site : SPEAKING COHEN

http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen ... ljazz.html

Montreal Jazz Festival Tribute to Leonard Cohen -
Updated June 29.
Program, articles, photos and youtubes from June 26, 2008 tribute
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:06 am

Have any photos of Leonard with Aretha surfaced yet? If any?
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
Darling

Post by Darling » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:13 pm

You can see very good quality video extracts from the show (filmed for tv) there: http://www.arte.tv/fr/art-musique/2114204.html

Return to “News”