Leonard to receive Montreal Jazz Festival Award

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Leonard to receive Montreal Jazz Festival Award

Post by jarkko » Wed May 21, 2008 8:28 am

Cohen to receive special jazz fest award

The Montreal Gazette

On the heels of his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Leonard Cohen will receive the Montreal International Jazz Festival's third Spirit Award this year, organizers announced this morning. Paul Simon and Bob Dylan have been previous recipients of the prize, which honours musical quality and innovation.

The Antonio Carlos Jobim Award for world music will go to Gilberto Gil, while soul queen Aretha Franklin will be honoured with the Ella Fitzgerald Award. The Miles Davis Award will be presented to McCoy Tyner and bassist Dave Young will become the 20th artist to receive the Oscar Peterson Award.
(Thanks to Michael Lutomski for the news)
st theresa

Re: Leonard to receive Montreal Jazz Festival Award

Post by st theresa » Wed May 21, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks Jarkko
for posting this news. I had not previously hear of the Spirit award, but what an appropriate title for an award to Leonard Cohen. Congratrulations Leonard!
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr » Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Here is a link to some more info on the Spirit Award, as well as the Jazz Fest in general:

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/Fijm2008/prix_en.aspx
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone » Wed May 21, 2008 8:10 pm

great news! i will see leonard at the montreux jazz festival on 8 july 8) (tickets were sold out after 2 hours - i was soooooooooo lucky!!!).

whish you all a great summer, friends!

simon
dick

Post by dick » Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 pm

At last year's festival, Leonard's voice reading Sounds of Silence was audible all over Montreal to honor Simon. Hope we hear Leonard do Leonard this year :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Fri May 23, 2008 9:39 pm

>Leonard Cohen will receive the Montreal International Jazz Festival's third Spirit Award this year, organizers announced this morning. Paul Simon and Bob Dylan have been previous recipients of the prize . . .

This sounds great!!!! Third time lucky.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat May 24, 2008 6:36 am

That is as you've noted, St. Theresa, such appropriate terminology for an award going to Leonard. You're very fortunate, Simon, to be able to see him receive it. That makes two days that I may be having conversations with touters.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:18 am

"Leonard Cohen will receive the Montreal International Jazz Festival's third Spirit Award this year, organizers announced this morning."

He plays Montreal three nights... any word on when he will recieve the award?

We're going June 24th, Saint Jean Baptiste Day, which seems to me a perfect time to present it! LOL
Darling

Post by Darling » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Dream Warrior wrote:"Leonard Cohen will receive the Montreal International Jazz Festival's third Spirit Award this year, organizers announced this morning."

He plays Montreal three nights... any word on when he will recieve the award?

We're going June 24th, Saint Jean Baptiste Day, which seems to me a perfect time to present it! LOL

I called the Jazz fest to ask about that and also to ask when the show would be shown on TV. They couldn't answer me but the lady took my email and will let me know as soon as she can. I will post the info the very moment I get it, very soon I hope.

She said that sometimes the awards are not presented publicly, depending on which one it is, and wasn't sure about this one.
Anne

Post by Anne » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:38 pm

The award will be presented outside on the 26th.

You can read all about it here:
I'm your fan: Artists pay tribute to Cohen at jazz fest blowout
The Gazette; Reuters
Published: Friday, May 23
Various artists will pay tribute to Leonard Cohen on June 26 during a free outdoor blowout at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, organizers announced yesterday. Katie Melua, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Madeleine Peyroux, Serena Ryder, Chris Botti and Thomas Hellman will be among the performers drawing from the Cohen catalogue during the festival-launching show. The poet-songwriter is expected to attend the event, which begins at 9:30 p.m. on the General Motors stage at the corner of Ste. Catherine and Bleury Sts. Cohen performs at Salle Wilfrid Pelletier of Place des Arts June 23 to 25 in a pre-opening engagement. He will also receive the festival's third Spirit Award, which honours quality, innovation and influence. The Montreal International Jazz Festival runs from June 26 to July 6.

© The Gazette (Montreal) 2008
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/n ... d5ce2c7a91
Darling

Post by Darling » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Tchocolatelt also put these links on the June 26 topic.

http://nouvelles.equipespectra.ca/blog/

http://nouvelles.equipespectra.ca/blog/ ... ch_lang=en

I love this forum when you ask something, you actually get answers! Does anyone know about the TV show?
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:22 am

"The award will be presented outside on the 26th... Katie Melua, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Madeleine Peyroux, Serena Ryder, Chris Botti and Thomas Hellman will be among the performers drawing from the Cohen catalogue during the festival-launching show. The poet-songwriter is expected to attend the event, which begins at 9:30 p.m. on the General Motors stage at the corner of Ste. Catherine and Bleury Sts."

Merci Anne!

J'aime Buffy Sainte Marie aussi! Anyone in Montreal to see M. Cohen should try and see her as well. She is a fabulous Canadian singer/song-writer as well.
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:40 am

Darling wrote:

"I called the Jazz fest to ask about that and also to ask when the show would be shown on TV. They couldn't answer me but the lady took my email and will let me know as soon as she can. I will post the info the very moment I get it, very soon I hope."

Merci Darling,

I appreciate your response. Yes, it is a wonderful Forum in which all seem bound together by a mutual affection and love for this wonderful artist and priest. And, to answer your query, the photo is me, although, perhaps, one of the better ones. LOL

A la prochaine,
Darling

Post by Darling » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:21 pm

Dream Warrior wrote:Darling wrote:

"I called the Jazz fest to ask about that and also to ask when the show would be shown on TV. They couldn't answer me but the lady took my email and will let me know as soon as she can. I will post the info the very moment I get it, very soon I hope."

Merci Darling,

I appreciate your response. Yes, it is a wonderful Forum in which all seem bound together by a mutual affection and love for this wonderful artist and priest. And, to answer your query, the photo is me, although, perhaps, one of the better ones. LOL

A la prochaine,
Then you must look a lot like Armand Vaillancourt! (I don't know if you noticed, but I removed the question afterwards because I thought I would make of fool of myself. Oh well, too late again :oops: :) )
Darling

Post by Darling » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:51 am

Here's a copy of the email i got from the Jazz Fest:

malheureusement la remise du prix Montreal Jazz Fest SPIRIT à Léonard COHEN n'est pas un évennement public.
M. Cohen recevra son prix en coulisse.

Pour ce qui est des détails concernant la télédiffusion de l'Hommage à Leonard Cohen, nous ne disposons pas encore de ces informations.

Nous vous invitons à nous recontacter dans quelques semaines à ce sujet.
Nous espérons que nous pourrons alors vous fournir plus de détails.

Merci de votre compréhension et passez un agréable festival.

L'Équipe Info-Jazz Bell
TV

Basically, it says that there will be no public ceremony and that M. Cohen will receive his prize backstage. And that they don't have the information about the TV show. :(

Return to “News”