Sony-BMG Releasing Several Leonard Cohen CDs Feb 1

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jerry

Sony-BMG Releasing Several Leonard Cohen CDs Feb 1

Post by jerry » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:04 pm

No, they're not remasters just cheap budget release cds.

http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?H ... search=yes
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Baldwyn

Re: Sony-BMG Releasing Several Leonard Cohen CDs Feb 1

Post by Baldwyn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:23 am

That's a really good price. I need a new Cohen Live, mine's stuck in my car CD player, and I'm selling the car, but too lazy to remove the seat, remove the CD player and perform surgery :)
jerry

Post by jerry » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Do these Feb 1 releases mean that there won't be any more remasters?
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
margaret

Post by margaret » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:17 pm

I think earlier reports indicated that there would be a delay. Other albums will probably be reissued/remastered sometime in the future
tonys

Post by tonys » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:32 am

Interestingly at one time they announced sept 23, 2007 (around that date) as the time for the next 3, then it was cancelled sony/columbia said they didn't want to flood the market with Leonard Cohen items. The reason was they wanted to release a CD of new material which never happend. Probably the delays are happening still because of that fact. I don't know what this special product release is about, and special product release happens from time to time but it doesn't really make sense, since most of the leonard cohen cds are in circulation i don't know if any are out, i remember the 1st leonard cohen being out of print before the reissue came out, i even saw some sell for 20$ on ebay as did various positions which it seems has come back into circulation, i'm sure from time to time all titles go out of stock. I'm really puzzled at the delay, sony even made a statement they were very happy with the results of the 1st 3 reissues in regards to sales and they seemed to get them all out on remasters and/or reissues including the live cds. I really don't get this special product release, I thought it was the reissues but then read closer and the fact leonard is going into the hall of fame. John Mellencamp got his remasters done in 3 months time each month they released X amount until they were finished. I think it's a mistake to wait on these or worry about flooding the market with Leonard Cohen releases because Leonard isn't the same artist that say the Counting Crows are, Leonard Cohen fans are not fair weathered they know exactly what they're getting into and almost all of them probably had the predessors either vinyl and/or previous cd releases. I doubt anyone is waiting for the reissues to have for the 1st time. I'm very interested in getting them for the attractiveness of the product and the fact the lyrics will all be there, not that you really need the lyrics to follow Leonard Cohen but it's nice to read as his music is just as good as poetry as music as well, one of the richest lyrics of all time etc etc etc. I wish there was a statement on these releases even by Leonard Cohen himself, if Leonard Cohen himself would get on the internet and give us an explanation that would be very kind of him...and someone explain the rational behind releasing these special product cds??
zombiehamster

Post by zombiehamster » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm

Does anyone know if there are plans for a special edition release of "Death Of A Ladies Man" ? :D
tonys

Post by tonys » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:41 am

the releases on feb. 1st could be the rest of the reissues...it doesn't make sense they'd give them a unique release date like this...there's no news on the releases anywhere...not billboard not cohen's sites...any of them...it's doubtful it would be the reissues without a word of mention...odds are it's a special products release, probably limited to keep the circulation going...what columba would hate to happen is that only used cds are exchanging hands...obviously they're stalling for some reason...maybe they're waiting for cohen's legal troubles to be sorted out...i don't think leonard sorted that out where his manager gets 99% and he gets 1% of the publishing...leonard is a bit of a hair-brain thank GOD for a smart daughter like Lorca...anyway you can rest assured the delay is due to leonard's legal problems and his tour...why else would a 72 year old man go on tour unless he was flat broke, he's probably touring because he has no money to buy food to eat. :shock:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:37 pm

These re-issues have nothing to do with the remasters. Sony is just circulating the existing CD versions. I guess they want to keep the whole catalogue available although the next set of remasters has been delayed, because of several reasons.
tonys

Post by tonys » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:16 am

and its the fans who suffer...more fans will die and never get to hear the remasters...let's face it cohen fans are dropping off in droves day by day...i knew it had nothing to do with the remasters...i did believe they were remasters for about 1 minutes until i saw the special release products which means less than a regular columbia release meaning if there was any elaborate artwork it won't be in the special release it's just a temporary release of X amount of copies made up probably to tie them over for a certain period of time...if they're doing this release you can assure you won't be seeing any cohen reissues for at least another 8 months...possibly longer...funny how no one menioned this release on any site...nothing from columbia on this...sort of like they're ashamed for being so devious and underhanded, it seems a statement should've been made by the label and/or leonard cohen this is a kick in the face to the fans of leonard cohen...these cds that were released by columbia in the early to mid 90s are crap...the mixes are crap and it looks like they were mixed fast as they play them...it sounds like they were mixed on the fly...does anyone know how many cds leonard sold or total sales including everything since that's probably the only numbers anyone has?? :oops:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:10 pm

more fans will die and never get to hear the remasters...let's face it cohen fans are dropping off in droves day by day..
The first is part of life, if I've ever seen it... except those who die will be quickly replaced by younger ones. On the second, please cite your statistics source.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Gerrida

Post by Gerrida » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:54 pm

Tonys, are you a Leonard Cohen fan? You don't sound like one..... You keep on making negative and unkind remarks. Why should it bother you how many cds he has sold, how many new/old fans he has, how much money he has, etc.? If you were a fan, you wouldn't make these tactless remarks.

The hundreds of thousands of us who love this man for the great human being he is can only wish him well for whatever he may want to accomplish. His music and his poetry will still inspire us and we will cherish every song, every poem, every thought of him, no matter what rude things people say on this forum.
jerry

Post by jerry » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 am

Gerrida wrote:Tonys, are you a Leonard Cohen fan? You don't sound like one..... You keep on making negative and unkind remarks. Why should it bother you how many cds he has sold, how many new/old fans he has, how much money he has, etc.? If you were a fan, you wouldn't make these tactless remarks.

The hundreds of thousands of us who love this man for the great human being he is can only wish him well for whatever he may want to accomplish. His music and his poetry will still inspire us and we will cherish every song, every poem, every thought of him, no matter what rude things people say on this forum.
You know Leonard is the only artist I listen too where I feel that he is a member of my family.Maybe an uncle or father.I hope that dosen't sound too strange.
Leonard Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 am

Well said, Gerrida. I'm with you 100%. I'm with you, too, Jerry. I've always had a 'brother' feeling toward Leonard.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tonys

Post by tonys » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:23 am

I'm a big fan of Leonard Cohen not only am I fan of his he's also a great inspiration, but what kills me is neglect...i'm looking for someone to point my finger at and blame...it's simple as that...now the record company said the 2nd batch of remasters was set for the 3rd week in september and i sold all my cohen cds in complaince with that, then i find it was cancelled but they said a new leonard cohen cd is coming out in oct/nov...okay it's been several years since his last new material release...then that gets cancelled, but what kills me the most is that the record company says they don't want to flood the market with leonard cohen releases, but what perturbs me is where is Leonard when all this is happening? why isn't he fighting the record company with every last drop of energy to get these reissues out!!?? and why isn't he on this forum with an explanation?? That's my anger and my disappointment.
PS - i have re-re-re-bought the leonard cohen catalogue and won;t sell anymore until the reissues are in my hand...i don't care if i can pre-order them because even those get cancelled...most of you sound too passive your taking this disappointment too easily...do you realize that everyday these releases get delayed is one less day of listening to these remasters??? I know lizzy is worried about this!
opendoor

Post by opendoor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:03 am

The ownership of the catalogue determines how it is used and/or marketed. Sony-BMG can do anything they choose to do with any material that they own. Leonard's opinion (as well as anyone else's) will not affect Sony-BMG plans and to complain that Leonard or Forum members aren't doing anything is, at best, mis-directed and futile.

Leonard's economic situation and legal situation is his concern only. The support or lack of support that Sony-BMG gives Leonard is again a matter for his concern.

Personal slurs against Leonard, his family, or Forum members are offensive to all.

opendoor

Return to “News”