Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love, film by Nick Broomfield

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
vlcoats

Re: Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love, film by Nick Broomfield

Postby vlcoats » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you for the DVD info Marg! I will be looking forward to purchasing one when they are released, even though I was able to see the movie finally! Dave and I saw it on Sunday at a little theater in Portland, OR called 'Living Room Theaters'. It is a small venue that shows about 7 movies in different rooms having a mix of easy chairs, theater seats and tables with chairs where they serve food and drinks. The room where Marianne and Leonard was playing was about 2/3 full for the 2 pm showing.

Did we like it? Very much! After reading the reviews, which were only about 80% positive, we didn't have the highest expectations but were pleasantly surprised. For us it was extra special because we had just been to Hydra for the first time this year, and of course that is where the movie is set for the most part. I knew the story line already from everything I have read about Leonard in the past couple years, but I did learn some things I wasn't aware of about Marianne. As for some of the reviews saying the focus was more on Leonard and accusing the movie of treating Marianne as a secondary character in spite of her having top billing, I would have to disagree. For one thing, she was his MUSE, there to inspire him not overshadow him. Like others have said, I doubt if she disdained the roll. Beyond that though, I felt that the movie was very much about her. It gave her opinions and feelings and impressions the lion's share of attention, and I was not left with the impression of a weak woman. Of course it focused on Leonard also, because, well face it, without him in her life, Marianne's story would not have been made into a movie, as there is no muse without an artist. Like others, I enjoyed the time spent with Layton's candid partner Aviva. Incidentally, I saw on Google that she took Layton's last name, but Wikipedia says they were never married(?). Also, once again in this movie (as always it seems), there was not much said about Adam and Lorca's mother Suzanne, although Aviva calls her ruthless and Marianne mentions an encounter with her. Yes her story is mentioned elsewhere but never really focused on much, and I find it strange that she is often treated as inconsequential. It makes me wonder if there is some kind of gag order regarding her, but maybe she just isn't of interest, and there isn't a conspiracy after all. Besides, this movie wasn't supposed to be about her! ;-)
The bottom line is that we found Marianne and Leonard to be an interesting and romantic movie. (Be careful with the ending, it had me in tears, and even Dave was getting choked up). We give it 2 thumbs up, and we are looking forward to seeing it again when the DVD comes out!

Vickie
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 am

I've read all the reviews here, except the ones where a link needs to be clicked on first. I'll return to read those. Ironic that the woman writer/reviewer who complains about the film not focusing on Marianne enough and muses as much as 'abused beings' goes into great detail about other artists and their muses, and hardly focuses on Leonard and Marianne.

I hope to be able to see this film and have my own views of it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:03 am

I just returned from seeing the film. I enjoyed it very much, though as others have mentioned, there wasn't any new content. I particularly enjoyed the remarks made by Ron Cornelius as I've never seen an interview with him.

What Cohen fan wouldn't love all the old film and interviews! I was particularly touched by the shots of Marianne in the audience at the Oslo concert (post 2012-as Mitch Watkins was guitarist) and also the scenes from her death bed.

One irritating thing was that the audio and video was about 1 second out of sync. So it made the interviews distracting to watch. I'm not sure if this was the theater's fault or a fault in the mix.

I was surprised to see that Tony Palmer was the Executive Producer and that DA Pennebaker was involved.

Like John Etherington said, I loved seeing Jim Devlin and Albert Noonan in the credits.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “News”