Edinburgh Help!

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
rhona

Edinburgh Help!

Post by rhona » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:29 pm

I have a dilemma. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world having seen Leonard at Manchester Opera on the Friday - best thing I've ever seen in my life, but this ain't the time and place for a review!

I also have tickets for Edinburgh - stalls block X2. However, we have a 5 month baby and no sitter for that evening. My only hope is to persuade my mother to be shipped up there, put her and us up in hotel and loads of other arrangements for husband's work etc. It'll cost loads and I'm not sure if I should just be thankful that I've seen him, I was so so close (row C), and I should live without seeing him at Edinburgh Castle.

Those of you who know the venue, will it be so magical that I should just pull out the stops and do it, or is there a chance that it won't be as good as the concert I've already seen because it's much bigger etc.???

I know this post is a bit mad - but I want someone to help me decide what to do...
Oh bless the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh

2008 Manchester Opera House
2008 Clyde Auditorium/SECC Glasgow
2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
margaret

Re: Edinburgh Help!

Post by margaret » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Only you can weigh up whether you can do this. It's great that you saw Leonard in such a brilliant venue in Manchester.

Is it possible to leave your baby at home with your mother rather than take them all up to Edinburgh?

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:26 pm

I have two small children. The older one, when he was five months old, slept his way through anything. I could have taken him at that age to a Leonard Cohen concert confident that he would have disturbed no-one. Alas, I cannot say the same of the younger one.... If your baby is a good evening sleeper, would it be worth finding out if you can bring him/her? (In a sling underneath an overcoat if needs be...?)
Mirren

Post by Mirren » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 pm

commonweal wrote:I have two small children. The older one, when he was five months old, slept his way through anything. I could have taken him at that age to a Leonard Cohen concert confident that he would have disturbed no-one. Alas, I cannot say the same of the younger one.... If your baby is a good evening sleeper, would it be worth finding out if you can bring him/her? (In a sling underneath an overcoat if needs be...?)
Good grief .. screaming weans is the last thing we need!
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:40 pm

Oh my....no offence but PLEASE leave the children at home!!!!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:41 pm

From the Ticketmaster website:

"Children Rules:
No babes in arms. Everyone attending the show must have a valid ticket."
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Hmm... "...we don't like children anyhow..." ...

Peronally, I cannot see (or hear) what harm a *sleeping* baby would do at an open-air outdoor concert with thousands of probably not entirely sober Scottish and other LC fans no doubt singing not quite in tune, but c'est la vie.

Rhona -- Edinburgh won't be like Manchester; it'll be more like Dublin, I'd say. And, we are advised, the tour is likely to continue later in the year. We'll see. Perhaps, if there are two UK dates later in the year I can babysit for you one night and you can babysit for me the other...?
rhona

Post by rhona » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:40 pm

You're on! Sounds like a very fair offer! And you kind of confirmed what I was thinking...

Thanks for the suggestion about taking our little one - it's sweet of you to suggest it (and brave with the attitudes of some here). I was just enjoying watching all the "Oh my God a BABY???" and snipey little comments pouring forth, when in fact of course that was actually the opposite of what I'd suggested - I'll take a look later tonight when a few more may have added "IF I SEE A ******* BABY AT THE CONCERT" comments. As if I'd let her anywhere near them...

This place makes me roll my eyes, it really does...

2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:11 pm

I know what you mean.

Listen, I'll be at Edinburgh. If you decide to come, let me know. We can shop for Leonard Cohen baby gifts. Or have a beer.

I hope your baby sleeps as soundly to Who by Fire and Bird on the Wire as my seven-month old does.

Enjoy.
Mirren

Post by Mirren » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 pm

rhona wrote:You're on! Sounds like a very fair offer! And you kind of confirmed what I was thinking...

Thanks for the suggestion about taking our little one - it's sweet of you to suggest it (and brave with the attitudes of some here). I was just enjoying watching all the "Oh my God a BABY???" and snipey little comments pouring forth, when in fact of course that was actually the opposite of what I'd suggested - I'll take a look later tonight when a few more may have added "IF I SEE A ******* BABY AT THE CONCERT" comments. As if I'd let her anywhere near them...

This place makes me roll my eyes, it really does...
Yeah, well it wasn't you my reply was made to. Perhaps if you stopped being such a "martyr"(and moaner) and read things properly.... but then maybe you are unable to do that! :D
rhona

Post by rhona » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Yeah, well it wasn't you my reply was made to. Perhaps if you stopped being such a "martyr"(and moaner) and read things properly.... but then maybe you are unable to do that! :D[/quote]

Umm... you're being a little rude. Actually, pretty darn rude. You're also totally misfiring at the wrong person (some people may vouch for me here!!!). Please get a grip and - 3 posts in - be a little nicer? Just a thought.

2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:01 am

I'm reminded of the old exam advice "RTBQ" - "Read The B***** Question".

Having a similar dilemma I keep checking this thread for answers to Rhona's question "will it be so magical that I should just pull out the stops and do it".

In the absence of such sound advice I just blew the years budget on a bit of Thistle hotel luxury anyway. Any words of reassurance in answer to the original question appreciated.

p.s. I could check if the Thistle has a babysitting service 8)
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
rhona

Post by rhona » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:46 am

Thank you and good morning lovelies!

Problem is that I blew the budget on Manchester! I hired a 5 star apartment with a knock-down rate (2 bedrooms so mum could babysit little one) and we had Champagne etc. It was really nice and special.

Maybe I should crack open next year's budget early! But, then if the tour continues... oh I don't know. Most of me thinks I should be bl****y grateful that I've seen him at all! Happy dilemma I guess.

P.s. Commonweal, if I do make to Edinburgh I'll definately give you a shout. And I think I vote beer... I might try to get a baby tour tee shirt though... :D

2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Rhona -- another thought that, like my last one apparently, addresses your "exam question" from a tangent so indirect it may be missed by some of our friends here :roll: . On the Big Chill thread elsewhere on these page it says that the Big Chill festival is ... wait for it ... "family friendly". Why not take the whole gang camping for the weekend? Sunday-only tickets are available and are pretty good value. Martha Wainwright and Beth Orton are among the other acts billed (though whether for the Sunday or not I don't know), so it should be a good weekend.
Mirren

Post by Mirren » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Hey, for all those people who have a problem with understanding... I am staying in the Barmoral Hotel in Edinburgh before and after the concert. Ask for me at reception or leave a message, (they know me there). I look forward to discussing anything ... apart from children! :D

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”