Glastonbury

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
helenpins

Re: Glastonbury

Post by helenpins » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 pm

I have just searched through BBC iplayer and there is hardly a mention of Leonard Cohen never mind any footage from Glastonbury, really pissed off!!!
:cry:

Hx
valglasfan

Post by valglasfan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 pm

Disappointing yes. it was his choice not to be filmed for TV apparently. Have a look at youtube though!
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi everyone
Was I going mad--or wasn't Leonard on the TV last night??
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:32 pm

Most of the posts on this thread have voiced their disappointment quite reasonably about the Beeb not showing Leonard Cohen ( whoever's decision it was). However they remain balanced and fair, go to the other thread on the current tour page and you will see 100 posts, some of which are quite 'angry' in their responses. ( people throwing out their cd's etc).
I said that i felt a fool, seartching for the 'LC' coverage , thus missing loads of the EURO 2008 final, however lets keep things in perspective ! What will folk do if something really bad happened in their life ?
In any case, the Glasto crowd didnt get the recital of 'a thousand kisses deep' ! :D
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
suecee

Glastonbury

Post by suecee » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:49 pm

I am SO disappointed. I'm too old and decrepit now to brave the loos at Glastonbury again so was looking forward to the promised BBC coverage of LC on UK TV. Ringing the BBC to ask why he is the only important act which they totally ignored, I was told he had specifically asked for no coverage whilst on tour and they had to honour that request.

Why? His UK concerts appear to be sold out, at least the O2 one in London is unless you are prepared to pay nearly £250 per ticket. It would have been so good to hear the master again.
terry shute

Post by terry shute » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:32 pm

the official explanation is that the cameras would have been a distraction.
and the unofficial explanation? why would Wily Old Len allow his performance to be broadcast by the beeb, with the nation's video recorders humming, when - as revealed on another thread - he might very soon have a Tour DVD to flog?
I'm no Neil Diamond fan, but at least he proved himself a real pro.
Gregor

Post by Gregor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:36 pm

by Gregor on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:30 pm

The Guardian june 30TH 2008

Glastonbury 2008 review: Leonard Cohen

Where and when: The Pyramid stage, Sunday, 8.10pm
Dress code: The whole band, including the backing singers, are slickly besuited. Meanwhile, Cohen's look, all baggy grey pinstripe and trilby, is poised somewhere between Humphrey Bogart and a Galapagos turtle.

Who's watching: Everyone from tired and emotional fiftysomething women (to my left) to exuberant teenagers in hotpants (to my right). And all of them know the words.

In a nutshell: For many, Cohen was set to be the absolute guaranteed highlight of Glastonbury 2008, the major reason to brave the muck and the drizzle. Marvellously, he does not disappoint, delivering a crowd-wooing selection of favourites, including Dance Me to the End of Love, Bird on a Wire, Suzanne and Tower of Song, all performed with a charming hat-tipping humility, and an enigmatic half-smile.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High point: Hallelujah - a real crowd-swelling, arm-waving moment of perfection. As Cohen staggers into the line "love is not a victory march - it's a lonely and a broken hallelujah," half the people in the vicinity start crying. Myself included.
Low point: Following the statuesque I'm Your Man with the blousy Closing Time led to a bit of a dip, and the distinct absence of Chelsea Hotel.

Mark out of 10: 9.99 (as Cohen himself would put it "Forget your perfect offering/ There is a crack, a crack in everything/That's how the light gets in")

What does it all mean, maan?: Leonard Cohen. He's your maan.There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets inGregor

Private messageE-mail
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
madjon

Post by madjon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Last night, Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie on BBC Radio 2 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/radcl ... ndex.shtml called Leonard’s gig “the highlight of the festival”. Mark Radcliffe went on to shed some light on the why the show was not filmed, as well as reviewing it. Interesting stuff:

Amusingly, The Verve played after Leonard and the band’s lead singer, Richard Ashcroft, said to Mark Radcliffe: “I just can’t believe a day would ever come, when I would have to follow ‘him’”.

The Radcliffe and Maconie initially responded to an email which said that everyone calls Leonard Cohen’s performance the highlight of the festival, so why wasn’t it filmed? Radcliffe responded that “Unfortunately he just declined to be filmed. One thing is he has nothing new to promote, he doesn’t need to be on the television or radio. We all know he’s touring, he needs the money as he was most terribly ripped off.”

And Stuart Maconie adds that “It’s ironic that such a powerful set was motivated by, not shabby reasons, but practicalities, as an accountant absconded with his money he’s gone on tour to get a bit of a pension.”

Mark Radcliffe’s review: “He looks fantastic, by which I do not mean he looks much younger than his age, but the perfect guy in his early seventies. Dapper: suit, shirt, tie, trilby, nicely cut grey hair. Think Charlie Watts. He did look marvellous. His band who are no spring chickens’ themselves, were beautifully balanced, very stately, it all went at it’s own speed and the songs went on for a long time. I watched it and thought it’s wonderful, but is it going to hold the main-stage crowd Glastonbury for an hour and a half? But the whole of the festival seemed to slow to ‘Leonard time’, he seemed to capture it with intimacy; it was intimacy on a massive scale. At one point he was playing Tower of Song, where he sent the band off and someone brought him on a Casio keyboard, and he played it, that little riff ‘do, do, etc’ . He was just playing one note, like kid, like you do with a Casio. So you’ve got this little old bloke with three backing singers in front of about 100,000; and when he’s playing a little, tiny, dinky solo and they’re all cheering! It’s just remarkable! And that really demonstrates the power, not only of his songs, but of the charisma that he still retains.

“After the songs he does quite wry asides, but often he seemed lost for words, because of the sheer scale of it and he just stood there with his hat on his chest and beamed live over the big screens was this beatific smile. And everybody was just captured by it. He looked genuinely overwhelmed himself.

“He also said to the guys who were producing the television show, he finds cameras distracting.

“I was stood on the side of the stage as the sun went down, watching Leonard Cohen, doing Hallelujah, with the whole crowd singing along; it was my fiftieth birthday and I’ll never forget it for a number of reasons, but that was one of them.”
tupelo

Post by tupelo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:33 pm

I am also massively disappointed that there is to be no coverage from Glastonbury (for whatever reason it may be). I've got a ticket for the O2 gig in the 'only go here if you do not suffer from vertigo' section, so I don't have high (haha) hopes of good sound, certainly no good view of the man, other than via large screens. So I was really hoping I could sit here in my room and play Leonard Cohen live in high quality sound and vision. Alas, no. Great. Not.
confetti

Post by confetti » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:47 pm

tupelo wrote:I am also massively disappointed that there is to be no coverage from Glastonbury (for whatever reason it may be). I've got a ticket for the O2 gig in the 'only go here if you do not suffer from vertigo' section, so I don't have high (haha) hopes of good sound, certainly no good view of the man, other than via large screens. So I was really hoping I could sit here in my room and play Leonard Cohen live in high quality sound and vision. Alas, no. Great. Not.
You will find that even though you are far away from him the experience is far more than anything you will get on a small screen.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Well said Confetti !

It was... and I was quite a way away...

But one of the nights of my life :-)

Sean
tupelo

Post by tupelo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:11 pm

confetti wrote:
tupelo wrote:I am also massively disappointed that there is to be no coverage from Glastonbury (for whatever reason it may be). I've got a ticket for the O2 gig in the 'only go here if you do not suffer from vertigo' section, so I don't have high (haha) hopes of good sound, certainly no good view of the man, other than via large screens. So I was really hoping I could sit here in my room and play Leonard Cohen live in high quality sound and vision. Alas, no. Great. Not.
You will find that even though you are far away from him the experience is far more than anything you will get on a small screen.
Thanks for saying that, I appreciate it. Someone said in one of the other threads that it will also feel good to have 20,000 LC fans all in one place. I'm sure that's true too. So I am looking forward to the gig even though I am dubious about where I'll be sitting. I am also a much happier bunny now that I know there is going to be a Fall tour. :D

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”