CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Paula

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by Paula » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 am

There is nothing I can add to everyones comments.

Incredible night. Leonard's voice seems to be richer than 20 years ago. And I hope someone videoed his "white man dancing". Michael Jackson eat your heart out.

Lots of love and kisses to those who showed me true Irish hospitality. Damellon I take my hat off to you, you were like a Whirling Dervish looking after everyone.

Eric I hope Keria enjoyed the concert. She is a little stunner.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
rebekah

Post by rebekah » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:01 pm

was at friday night,it was an overwhelmingly fulfilling experience in every way but one....the people beside us who, horror of horrors (and i can't quite believe it even as i'm writing it) were gobbing nasty looking chilli con carne into their mouths during the crescendos of hallelujah! the only thing that rescued me from the pit of despair at the human race was my mum, who turned to me and rather loudly said "some people just don't have a soul" much to my amusement!
apart from that though, it was an incredible night
biglenfan

Post by biglenfan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:09 pm

Word cannot describe the experience of seeing LC live on Sunday night in Dublin.

Those of you with tickets for a future show are in for an amazing treat. He looks and sounds better than ever. He exceeded all expectations (and they were high!). Every song was a highlihgt in its own way but of course halleluja and so long marianne were wonderful crowd pleasers. Personally, the opening words to dnace me... were just sublime. His reading of a thousand kisses deep was a privilege to witness. The man is a genius.

Are any tickets available for other concerts around Europe?. I would sacrifice alot to see him perform again.

And a three hour set...phenomenal.....he is really putting alot of performers to shame.

Enjoy!.
deda

Post by deda » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:20 pm

Are any tickets available for other concerts around Europe?. I would sacrifice alot to see him perform again.
Yes, if any tickets available/ anyone heading from Ireland to any of the European gigs I would def. be interested. I saw him on the Sat night and it was the experience of a lifetime. I have not come down to earth yet
daka

Post by daka » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 pm

YES!!!!!! Spain .... Tickets still available July 20th (my birthday!)

Flights to Valencia from Dublin (Ryanair)

Actually cheaper and better schedules from Dublin to Madrid (then train to Castellon)

One day ticket to venue on 20th is 70 euros

http://fiberfib.com/en/news/fib-heineke ... irmations/

Séan
Last edited by daka on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan
Chema

Post by Chema » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:06 pm

After the great and funny review of Jorcx, two pictures from first concert in Dublin:
Luisa, Antonio, Jorcx, Eva and Oscar
Luisa, Antonio, Jorcx, Eva and Oscar
IMG_1516.jpg (196.68 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Cohen in screen
Cohen in screen
IMG_1518.jpg (165.56 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:13 am

Nice pictures. The first is always the best......

Georges.
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
frgall

Post by frgall » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:04 pm

I was lucky enough to go on Sunday, even though it rained and we got more than wet. It was indeed a spiritual experience. Even four days later I'm on a high, and wishing I had tickets for Manchester.

I have seen many concerts in my life but have never seen anyone on stage so humble and ego-less as Leonard. I don't just mean introducing the band, his whole demeanour is one of strong presence and sharing. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you can tell he spent so long as a Buddhist monk? I don't know if he had that quality before as this was the first time I've seen him in concert.

I remember Judy Collins saying relatively recently that he had told her that he would love to tour but he thought his voice wouldn't be good enough, all I can say is that his voice is better than ever, and the musicianship shown onstage is second to none.

As for the audience, yes there was a lot of moving about for drinks, and shouting out and all that stuff, but I'm not a native Irish woman, and I thought the audience around us were lovely, typically friendly, happy, yes a bit boorish, but hey - this is life. At times as well you could hear a pin drop the silence was amazing at 3 or 4 points during the show, and Leonard obviously didn't mind the chat, he wanted to take the audience to every other concert!

Roll on Edinburgh - I can't wait, if you want quiet - Edinburgh I think will be reserved and respectful, perhaps too much so, but we'll see. Just being at the concert is enough for me. I'm already looking for tickets for elsewhere later on in the tour.
reneg

Post by reneg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:17 pm

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Fri and the Sun concerts. Even with the rain on Sun, both concerts were an amazing experience, with the few different songs on Sun as an extra added bonus.

Yes, there were the occasional loud drunks and it could have been so much better if no food was allowed outside the food section, but on the whole – and I'm not Irish - I thought the crowd was warm and wonderful.
The audience had the biggest respect for him. People of all age groups knew the lyrics, listened in complete silence while Leonard recited his poem and gave him the biggest and warmest applause possible. It was a truly uplifting spiritual experience – love was in the air.

Leonard's voice is better then ever, and his and the band's genuine enthusiasm were overwhelming. Leonard was literally hypnotizing the audience with his art, and at the very same time, he still maintained his humbleness, sense of humor and total respect for the audience.
It was an unforgettable experience well worth the travel to Dublin just for the concert.
No Cohen fan should miss this.
devilsinkwell

Post by devilsinkwell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:02 pm

after returning home to sunny yorkshire after the most amazing evening "sat 14th"
i for some reason felt compelled to share with total strangers how emotional and magnificent the evening was,ok there were idiots there ,ok our seats were average but so what we saw leonard ,and whats forced me to post again is the fact that i still cant believe i was there!
so with hammer in hand i smashed open my piggy bank and bought two tickets for friday night or so i thought ,after waiting for confirmation i spoke to some simpleton who informed me that in fact no tickets were available ,ah well let the memories live forever
dublin june 14th manchester 18th june birmingham nov 22nd manchester nov 30th
devilsinkwell

Post by devilsinkwell » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:02 pm

after returning home to sunny yorkshire after the most amazing evening "sat 14th"
i for some reason felt compelled to share with total strangers how emotional and magnificent the evening was,ok there were idiots there ,ok our seats were average but so what we saw leonard ,and whats forced me to post again is the fact that i still cant believe i was there!
so with hammer in hand i smashed open my piggy bank and bought two tickets for friday night or so i thought ,after waiting for confirmation i spoke to some simpleton who informed me that in fact no tickets were available ,ah well let the memories live forever
dublin june 14th manchester 18th june birmingham nov 22nd manchester nov 30th
Isi

Post by Isi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:15 pm

My first time to join a forum - but all my friends are tired of hearing me going on about how wonderful Leonard is.... and how Saturday night's concert was simply the most fantastic musical experience of my life.... and really how are there still some people in this country who don't know who Leonard Cohen is???? Only the woman who does my Indian Head Massage could begin to appreciate my excitement. 'Wow', she said, 'It must have been some concert for you to be in such a state of euphoria nearly a week after the event'.
And it makes me so happy to know that at 50 years old I can still get so excited about an experience and still be on such a high. I missed Leonard's concerts in the past because I was too busy bringing up children, and working. I never dared believe that I would get another chance to see him, and that his voice, his music, his presence and everything about him would surpass all my expectations. And how nice it is to be reminded of what it feels like to be a love-sick teenager!
So, I knew I just had to come onto the forum to tell fellow aficionados how excited I still am! I know you'll understand!
confetti

Post by confetti » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:15 am

Isi wrote: And how nice it is to be reminded of what it feels like to be a love-sick teenager!
i feel exactly the same and I have been wondering what it is like for the boys? They surely don't feel the same as us ladies, but I wondered what their emotions are, and do they think of Leonard constantly like us or did they just appreciate the music?
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Isi

Post by Isi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:26 am

[/quote]
i feel exactly the same and I have been wondering what it is like for the boys? They surely don't feel the same as us ladies, but I wondered what their emotions are, and do they think of Leonard constantly like us or did they just appreciate the music?[/quote]

Or do they just appreciate the high state of excitement Leonard has left the ladies in??
daka

Post by daka » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:30 am

Holy Men (and Holy Women) are loved by men and women!

Séan

I could say more, maybe..

There was a time when I resonated with Leonard's growling sensual hedonism as it mirrored my mind/body reality... maybe up until 1995. When I was with a lady Leonard was nearly always on in the background. I remember doing long trips on my harley-davidson with headphones on listening to Leonard.

Then I became a Buddhist and ended up doing lots of retreat from 1996 to the present. I abandoned all music for a long time. When I came out of a long retreat in 2001 a friend in Canada sent me clippings of Leonard, referring to his long retreat and to his 10 New Songs album. I realized this was a new phase for Leonard and I delighted in his very meaningful lyrics and the music. Last year I imputed 'special dispensation' from Lama Leonard and took up the guitar again.

I digress a bit. How am I affected by his sensuality now, I think is the question put to the 'men'... monks included, I suspect. I think I have to say I am still 'resonating' with his sensuality. So it's not that I am turned on by Leonard as a man, but that he ignites the sensuality that is still alive and well in this male body. Sort of a vicarious sensual energy. This is OK in our tradition as we are advised to learn how to 'transform' that energy into the spiritual path.

There is another aspect to Leonard's attraction, though. He is so gentle and receptive and welcoming, and kind and warm loving, and respectful, that he comes across as very feminine. These are not macho qualities. He is a strange mix of growling feminine holiness!

Séan
Last edited by daka on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you become the ocean you will not become seasick....Jikan (aka Leonard Cohen)

It's comin' from the feel that this ain't exactly real, or it's real, but it ain't exactly there! . Jikan

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”