CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin (June 13, 14, and 15)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
northside lenny

Re: Dublin (June 13-15)

Post by northside lenny »

Some people here are really fussy. I think they call themselves real fans. It sounds to me like they've never been to an open air concert before. What do they expect when they are part of an audience of 10,000 people? What gives them the right to complain about the behaviour of the audience? Everybody has paid the same price for a ticket (well depending on your seat) and is entitled to enjoy themselves however they choose. For anybody who begrudges this perhaps there is a good reason, maybe it's because most of these people were having a much better time at the concert than they did. I have a great idea for them that I hope will keep everybody happy. Instead of moaning and complaining about the audience, the sound, the seats, the weather etc.. Why not skip the live concerts, wait for the concert DVD to be released and watch it in your living room? I've never had the experience before myself of listening to Leonard's music with so many people (usually I have been alone or with female company, preferably the former but sometimes the latter has to be done:), but it was an experience I will never forget witnessing the power of the great man's music amongst such a large gathering of people. The energy and the atmosphere he created was incredible.
lortigosa

Post by lortigosa »

What a concert! I went to Dublin on Friday and wow!!! I was SO amazed!!! The only bad thing was it seemed too short to me, time went by so quickly :D Well, and also that we were on row CCC (if you were there, you know it was really really back), so I had to watch most of it through the screen, and "through" the nonstoping eaters and drinkers. But doesn't mind, the sound was excelent, so no problem with that. His voice was astounding, the energy and passion he put into Hallelujah was incredible (maybe because it is so famous now?), and the version of If It be your will... what can I say... I was half the song crying. It was really moving. Wonderful.

Oh, and of course, being Spanish, I'm very happy of the great job Javier Mas did with all the string instruments. He's so good! :D Ole Javier, eres genial!!!

I just wish the tour continues after Summer and that I can manage to go to another concert, because this is too good to taste just one bit.

Enjoy the upcoming ones!!
Luisa
dolphinswim80

Post by dolphinswim80 »

forum

noun
1. a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
2. a public facility to meet for open discussion

As nothside lenny points out everyone is entitled to behaive the way they choose at a concert, members of this forum are also free to express their views and opinions, not as 'incontravertable facts ' but merely opinions.Yes I knew it was an outdoor concert and as far as outdoor concerts go it was a very good one all I was suggesting was that Cohens music is more suited (in my opinion) to an indoor venue.I would disagree with northside lenny that people have paid their money and can behave in any manner they choose,why should their behaviour spoil the concert for someone else??.There is a vast difference in the behaviour of crowds at indoor and outdoor gigs from my experience.The psychology of crowds at gigs was addressed by Roger Waters,his idea was to build a wall across the stage to block the band from the audience many of whom shout during quite passages of poems or songs.I accept there are varies level of fans, some people just go along to the 'Event ' regardless of who the artist is,some people get drunker than others,and some people do have different way of expressing enjoyment.So tonite im gonna get drunk stand on my seat with a large umbrella and sing along to all the songs.Alternatively i could just stay home with my hardon and a DVD,as northside lenny suggests. :D

Stating that I wished Cohen would play an indoor gig was not a criticism of the setlist ,just a hope that given the vast amount of material available ,he could do another tour and yet manage to play a totally different setlist of just as high quality songs which is in fact a compliement in my book.

I must apologise deeply to Stfa for stating that the setlist was the same as American shows,this is tantamount to someone saying that the setlist in England was the same as the shows in Britian while refering to the Irish shows.
theotherside

Post by theotherside »

Well said Northside and perhaps for one of the principal control freaks he'll play pious red raincoat. It is a concert and to be enjoyed and cherished in one's own way with due consideration shown to others not sitting on one's hand for fear of upsetting the local Taliban.
It sounded like a fabulous night and only a couple of days left for me to wait before I have my share of magic.
confetti

Post by confetti »

I thought last night was the most amazing event I had ever been at. The atmosphere was fantastic, Leonard singing for the guts of 3 hours was unbelievable, not only for a man in his seventies, but for any artist. My husband and I were sitting beside tonycal and his good lady, and we were very privileged in the seats we had so we cannot complain.

The only thing that marred it a little for me, was the people who rushed down the aisles, not because they did that, that was no problem, and I can understand that everyone wanted to be a bit closer to the stage, but the fact that there was a lot of shouting during a thousand kisses deep. I had been told by a friend that this was the highlight of the show for them, and was really looking forward to it. but apart from that small irritation, everything else was perfect.
:D :D :D
I am going to try and get my son tickets to go and see Leonard in italy or France because I think he should definitely experience this.
I don't think I am going to get over this for a long long time.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
jleslee

Post by jleslee »

just home from a magical experience :razz: leonard was truly amazing,never wanted it to end,to all of you thats still to go enjoy!!!!!the best night of our lives thank you leonard love leslee and alan xx :lol:
scorpio1952

Post by scorpio1952 »

Some excellent, well-written reviews here.

Will post mine after Manchester on Tuesday! Hope i can do as well.
Life is what happens to us while we are busy making other plans.
siobhanb

Post by siobhanb »

I can't really describe the effect the concert had on me last night (Sat), but it's something that will live with me for a long, long time. Lenny was in terrific form, doffing his hat to the audience and smiling hugely between songs (thank god for big screens!). It was this warmth and genuine appreciation of the occasion which made it for me. I would hate to think that each night of this gruelling schedule was an ordeal for the man - I'd rather send him the money and a thank you card for what he's given me over the years than subject him to something he'd rather not do. But there was no sense of that - just a wonderful celebration of the man and the music. Every so often I was stopped in my tracks as I realised what I was being a part of - OHMYGODIT'SLEONARDCOHEN!!!! Highlights for me were "Suzanne", "Dance me to the End of Love" and "Hallelujah" (it's HIS song!). The band were just fantastic - what a collection of world class musicians - and Leonard's voice was as rich and commanding as ever. Sorry to read that some people's enjoyment was spoiled by the behaviour of others. It wasn't the same for me, I have to say. Generally, I found the crowd to be polite, good humoured and respectful. I've been to quite a few concerts over the last couple of months and I was becoming really fed up with the rudeness of people - barging their way through without so much as a glance and endless chattering DURING songs. But last nights concert was by far the best concert I've been to in terms of crowd behaviour. I was in the A2 section near the back so I was a good bit away from the stage, but I still found that people around me was as mesmerised by the event as I was. If any chatter or shouting did break out, the offenders were quickly shushed by those around them.

I feel incredibly envious of those attending tonights performance as you in for an unforgettable experience. I'm lucky enough to be going to see him again in Lucca at the end of July (by coincidence booked a holiday at the same time!!!). I cannot wait......
mindm24

Post by mindm24 »

To northside lenny et all with taliban comment. i am huge fan, was at gig last night and it was indeed amazing. BUT directly behind me were a man in his sixties and girl in her twenties who were PISSED kept standing up and swaying and several times literally fell over on top of myself and my boyfriend, as well as patting our heads hugging us and talking sh*te at us non stop. The girl, who was quite large, also slid off her chair ramming in to the back of ours several times, as well as spilling red wine on three peoples seats when we were all standing during a song. tried to move into the aisles to get away but wasnt allowed by ground staff. let people dance, clap, sway, whatever they want to do, but there 's a limit, i did not pay 115 euro to fend off two drunks for three hours. I hope nobody here thinks that's acceptable behaviour.
northstar

Post by northstar »

i was there last night (saturday) and was lucky enough to be in a good position close to the stage where fortunately there wasn't too much disturbance when all those people rushed up the aisles. leonard was a complete gentleman and completely dazzled the audience with his performance, i think he enchanted eveyone.

i have to disagree with northside lenny when he says that people should be free to behave how they want at a gig, and i think some of the stories above really emphasise that point. buying a ticket doesn't give you the go ahead to do whatever you please regardless of how it effects others around you. i always find it annoying at seated gigs when people keep getting up to go to the bar and are visibly getting drunker and drunker as the evening goes on, and at a gig as spellbinding as this it was pretty annoying to be pulled out of the flow of the concert so much by people running to get more (overpriced) beer and pies. about 5 people in front of me all got up and went to the bar together about mid way through 'hallelujah'!!!! i'm not a gig-drinker, i've never understood it really, i'm there to experience the music live, not to drink myself into a place where i won't remember the concert the next day and spend the time pissing off everyone around me (and i see it happening at TOO many gigs). i've always been conscious of the other people around me at gigs, and i don't know if anyone else feels like this, but i was so ashamed when i saw all those people running down the aisles last night, i bet it won't happen in many other countries.

firstly, who on earth would you want to spend their evening squashed up against a security guard being shouted at to get back to your seat - those tickets were expensive, why would you ruin your own experience that way?? and secondly, i just feel it was EXTREMELY thoughtless of everyone else's enjoyment of the concert, i just don't get that attitude of 'well, if i'm having fun doing this, then everyone else must be too'. i really felt for the people who were behind that crowd, having their view of the stage blocked and having to deal with listening to mr cohen while they were making so much noise and distraction. it made me angry to see so much disregard for the experience of the rest of the concert goers who managed to behave decently and keep their seats. my only regret about this concert is the fact that they didn't throw out the people who were making the most disturbance, if i was running the place they'd have been warned and then made leave! maybe thats too strict, but i just think that someone who can disturb such a magical evening with outright rudeness and thoughtlessness doesn't deserve to be there!

leonard showed nothing much gentlemanliness on stage, his performance was astounding and i'll never forget the evening :) it pouring rain outside now, but the sun is just showing signs of coming out and i hope it does for the people who are there this evening!
confetti

Post by confetti »

Northstar, I completely agree the troublemakers should be removed, however, sometimes that can cause more trouble. I think the security did as well as could have been expected. My personal opinion is if you get up to go for a drink you don't get back in again until the break. i was very fortunate to have a front row seat but even so it was like Grafton street for a good part of the first half as people walked up and down. It didn't spoil my time though.
northstar

Post by northstar »

confetti wrote:Northstar, I completely agree the troublemakers should be removed, however, sometimes that can cause more trouble. I think the security did as well as could have been expected. My personal opinion is if you get up to go for a drink you don't get back in again until the break. i was very fortunate to have a front row seat but even so it was like Grafton street for a good part of the first half as people walked up and down. It didn't spoil my time though.
i think you're right about it causing more trouble, my totalitarian side comes out though when i see people (grown adults they were!) act so badly lol. i don't blame the security in the slightest, they were doing the best job they could, and they were getting horrible abuse from some of those people and also from very angry audience members who wanted the problem fixed immediately (the guy sitting beside me was particularly abusive to some of the security guys, despite the fact that his view wasn't really being affected).

i'm glad to hear you had a nice time despite the traffic, wasn't 'a thousand kisses deep' just spine chilling! :)
confetti

Post by confetti »

forgot to mention the lady that threw the roses up on stage at the beginning, I thought Leonard was going to have rose thorns sticking out of his face it was really funny once we realised the danger was over. :D :D :D
magicmoment

Post by magicmoment »

Saturday. What a gig! Superb.

What a rendition of 'Hallelujah.' To the poster who asked "was he hoarse?", no, he was not hoarse. Not a bit, he was gravelly voiced, sure, that's what we paid to hear.

Such a priviledge to have been there.

Reminds me of a recent Kris Kristofferson concert I attended. Kris asked "Any special requests?" and someone roared up from the audience, "Sing, Bird on the Wire". "Sure, that's a Leonard Cohen song" says Kris.? "Sing it anyhow" says the audience.

You're some singer, for one singer, Leonard!
hilarymcl

Post by hilarymcl »

Went on Saturday night, a perfect gig! The man is a genius and the band was so superb, it was an evening of warmth, love, spiritual highs and extreme enjoyment. Would have left happy and feeling it was more than worth the ticket costs after the first song - Dance me to the End of Love' but he played so many more so beautifully. Still glowing.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”