CONCERT REPORTS: Manchester, UK (June 17, 18, 19 and 20)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mikeaus

Re: Manchester, UK (June 17-20)

Post by Mikeaus »

The emotion pouring out on this website is historic. Thank you Jarkko for allowing us, who live so far away, access to the to the wonderful Leonard Cohen and his amazing tour. We pray that he will honour us with a visit to Australia.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
ninasspacechild

Post by ninasspacechild »

I have had to work 14 hour shifts Wednesday through to Friday so only this morning can I write about Tuesday's concert.

I had waited for 22 years to see and hear leonard in concert after Mr. Fisher, my teacher at high school introduced me to his music when I was 13. To Mr. Fisher I will be eternally grateful and wish I could thank him all these years later.

Anyway, traffic into Manchester was very bad on Tuesday. A journey that normally takes 25 minutes took over an hour and then there was almost nowhere to park. I only discovered later that The Police were performing at the MEN Arena that evening, hence the traffic problems. I was praying and praying not to be late. We found a place at the G-Mex car park at 7:20pm

Had to run from the G-Mex car park

We arrived at the Opera House at 7:28 pm and got into our seats, the centre of Row F in the circle one minute before the concert started. Sweating, hot breathless and my legs in agony. It is a long time since I had to run like that.

leonard and his wonderful band came on stage and everything melted away. All my thoughts, problems of the last few years, everything. A concert has never had that impact on me before. It was almost like I entered another level of being for the 2 and a half hours.

The man is amazing. very gentle and humble. I was very very moved to be in his presence. I won't write about the set list or individual songs because to me, I was there to hear whatever leonard had to sing and say to me that night. All I will say is that I was praying for So Long Marianne and I got it. And the most moving part of the evening was the recitation of A Thousand kisses Deep. Would love to hear leonard give a concert of just spoken poetry one day.

It all seems like it was a dream now yet so vivid. I was definitely changed in some way on Tuesday night.
The sea refuses no river
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I noticed that the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep differed from other versions I have heard/read. Does anyone have a transcript of the most recent version?
William

Post by William »

Wonderful shows. Wonderful. And warm and dry, a relief.
Jonnie - young people want things handed to them.

God bless
William
qbera6

Post by qbera6 »

LC in Manchester's Opera House, Wednesday 18 th June

This was THE night for me...and what a night it was!
Me and my boyfriend went to see LC in Dublin (14th June) and tought the concert was fantastic etc but the Manchester's Opera House is just the perfect venue to see Leonard performing live.

I bought stalls (row D) tickets last minute on seetickets...thanks to whoever posted about it on this forum-thank you thank you. I got rid of my gallery tickets for half price..i dont know why..i tought i wont be able to sell them last minute at the Opera House. But the couple who I sold it to where genuine fans and have driven for hours for this gig so I was glad they got them. And our row D seats were excellent.

Perfect venue, perfect set list (Famous Blue Raincoat, Sisters of Mercy, So Long Marianne, Hey,thats no way to say goodbye...just the ones Leonard didnt sing at the Saturday 14th June Dublin concert + the ones i already heard live but still I shed a few fears during them eg Who by Fire, If it be your will, Suzanne), perfect band, perfect atmosphere.

IT WAS MAGIC....now on to the last one - Edinburgh, 17 July :D
I wish I was going to more...
Anna
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Anna!!! check the Edinburgh date!!!!!
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Byron,
let the little fellow go :lol:
ninasspacechild

Post by ninasspacechild »

Jonnie, I think the version Leonard recited on Tuesday was from The Book of Longing.
The sea refuses no river
tanfield

the power of song, an anecdote.

Post by tanfield »

I have been a fan of Leonard ever since I bought "the Rock Machine Turns You On" and heard the Sisters of Mercy. Went out and bought the first album and bought all the others since. His music, along with that of other singers and groups, has formed the backdrop to my life. In recent years I have rediscovered the pleasure of a live concert and, along with my friend Al, have been seeing any act that has taken our fancy,CSN, Cream, Deep Purple as examples. Al is a huge Dylan fan and, as I had never seen him live, suggested a trip to Nottingham Arena to see his icon. We went and although it was a great thrill to see Dylan in person the concert was apalling. Al, someone who never minces his words, was equally scathing and apologised for dragging me along. I said that if ever Leonard Cohen toured again I would take him to a real concert as my treat, never thinking that it would ever happen. Well as we all know it did, and last Tuesday we made the trip to Manchester for the big night. Having arrived early we had some time to kill so we wandered around the centre and popped into HMV where Al had a voucher to spend. He pondered long and hard over a copy of Otis Blue but then thought that he could buy it back home so never bothered. I laughed and said that he was saving it for a Cohen Album. No way was his reply as he is not a huge fan, only having the "Greatest Hits" CD in his collection. The time of the concert drew near and in the foyer I bought the T shirt and Al bought the poster before proceeding up the stairs to the Gallery. Manchester Opera House was obviously designed by Sir Edmund Hillary, being so steep and we were exhausted and not a littel affected by vertigo by the time we had found our seats. The evening began and what an evening it was. By the time of the interval the hall was very hot so we descended Everest for some fresh air. Al was fulsome in his praise for Leonard and for the band but found the set rather "samey" but of course he was not that familiar with many of the songs. The second half was even more electric for me and by the end I was feeling very emotional with all the love that was swirling around that theatre which is still with me four days later. The atmosphere even affected Al who had applauded Hallelujah and had been delighted that he had played "Marianne" but he still felt that the first half had let the concert down and would not rate it as one of the best he had been to , whereas I felt it was one of the greatest I had seen. I could however emphasize with his thoughts regarding the "sameyness" and felt that more thought should have gone into the running order. We talked about the concert on Thursday and Al felt that he had been a little harsh as , when he looked back over the events, he felt that it had been better than his given score at the time. I phoned him today and interrupted him listening to "Famous Blue Raincoat" and, oh , he couldn't stop as his was going down to HMV to spend his voucher on " The Essential Leonard Cohen". Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the "Power of Song".
simonmoorehead

Manchester, UK 20th

Post by simonmoorehead »

Well what a week!
Tuesday - I saw the first night with my mum son and sister and
Wednesday - had lunch with Jarkko and his party - thanks jarkko for a lovely lunch and wonderful company! (took my son to see the Police)
Friday - met up with Barry - Born with a Gift of a golden G. Front Row smack bang in the middle.

The set was much tighter than Tuesdays only a couple of band intros compared with overkill on Tuesday. lennie was far more confident and his voice was stronger. He is truly born with the gift of a golden voice! what an evening.

Shook Leonards hand on the way out to his limo and chatted to Sharon Robinson and Roscoe Beck before an exhuberant pint in the Rising Sun with Barry Dave et Al.
i would like to buy any artwork by lc
simonmoorehead@yahoo.com

Snow is Falling , there's a nude in my room!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have posted two pages with Manchester photos (and the review written by Adex):
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-11.html - photo page
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-12.html - the story and more photos
gingermop

Post by gingermop »

Dear all

Despite going to more than one concert in Manchester, it’s taken me a while to find the time and clearness of mind to decide to review it for the benefit of those who haven’t been yet.

(I remember reading reviews on this forum before I saw Leonard live, and your warmth and enthusiasm made the anticipation that little bit sweeter, so thank you).

A little background info that may be relevant to me saying all this – I would say I’m younger than most Leonard fans at 27 (mind you, having an inconvenient yet persistent penchant for older men means that, to my delight, it’s never going to be difficult to get a date at a Leonard Cohen concert). :lol: Anyway, I jest and digress… my age means I’ve never seen the man live, and never thought I would!

First, the venue (Opera House) was excellent for taking my Cohen virginity, as it were: less than 2000 seats, and a hugely enthusiastic crowd. I am spoiled that this is my hometown, it’s ten minutes away and I’m not forced to see Leonard in an outdoor concert, although the booze might have been cheaper (ha, ha). But seriously, it was an absolute pleasure to be there in that kind of venue.

From the moment Leonard walked on stage, to the moment he left (after many encores), I was left wondering how the hell he’s doing what he’s doing. It’s not so much age, although his schedule would be a pain in the ass for someone much younger, but how he and the band manage (and aspire) to deliver an excellent show, night after night. The man is a consummate professional, and after meeting many so-called celebrities in my line of work, he continues to be a pleasant surprise to all the senses. The ‘legend’ that surrounds him has reached a peak now, to the point where it almost scares me. I have never known an audience so mesmerised, receptive, and warm. I admit I got a kick out of listening to ‘the buzz’ of the crowd during the interval and as they were streaming out onto the streets. Muttering superlatives to their loved ones, friends, or anyone who would listen. “Brilliant”, “Awesome”, “Wonderful”. Heart-warming stuff to hear.

I have only got the CDs to go on, but Leonard’s voice is bloody great, and sounding like it did 20 years ago. Sharon Robinson has a fabulous stage presence and one hell of a voice. The Webb sisters follow in the footsteps that I thought Perla and Julie had etched incomparably in stone (‘If it be your will’ being a well-deserved highlight). The two names I recognise from times past: Bob Metzger and Roscoe Beck, well, I guess it’s as if they’ve never been away. The band is tight, immaculate, and on the ball. They seem to be enjoying themselves, and so they should. Some people have whinged a little about the frequent band intros/credit Leonard gives them but I think it’s more than justified. They do an excellent job and are the conduit for Leonard’s performance to be what it is.

And what to say of Leonard, well, for those who expected a shadow of the former self, a reduced setlist, a frail older man, a gentle romp through greatest hits, a teleprompter crutch, a token performance… no, no, no. Unbelievable, and utterly enjoyable. I implore you to see him in action, I really do. As I already mentioned – I don’t know how he’s doing it. But as long as he is, please go live in that moment. As he said on Manchester on Friday night, with all the chaos in the world, it’s a privilege to have that performer/audience snapshot in such fragmented times.

Three hours where I forgot myself and just enjoyed the music, the crowd and everything that was unfolding in front of me. I’ve seen many bands, I’ve been to many venues, I’ve met many performers, but there’s something special about this one. No need for me to really put my finger on it, I suppose. Explaining it doesn’t change the dynamics. I just enjoyed it for what it was, and via writing this post, I’m trying to encourage you to do the same. Great stuff!

Well worth the price of the ticket. If each one buys Leonard or Roshi a double cognac, I’ll be happy.

Blessings,

Gina

PS And I have to say also, it was a pleasure meeting new friends and old who also share an interest in Leonard. I realised the lovely revelation that you're not all insane. Juuuuust kidding! :D
trev

Post by trev »

There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in –
Leonard Cohen, Manchester Opera House, June 20th 2008

Leonard Cohen approached the stage running, or was it skipping? Either way he appeared to almost float into the room, his feet not touching the ground, his body gliding toward centre stage. His face is remarkable, in a sense almost unchanged since he first appeared in 1967 a post-novelist. On his head light wisps of grey hair are the only definite indication of the ageing process. He still looks agile and at a tender 73, graceful. Dressed like a mafia don in a fine grey suit he approached the microphone, and as the audience rose to their feet he gave a little tip of the hat, a bow, a thank you and glided right into the set.

His band is a squad of multi-instrumentalists, including three female singers consisting of long time collaborator Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters, who later provided a stunning Harp led performance of the prayer-like ‘If It Be Your Will’ to an awestruck Cohen standing in the shadows. I had heard stories that his band are slick to the point of nausea, but apart from the occasional sax solo or Stevie Wonder inflected harmonica solo - unfortunately during a stunning Suzanne - they could be forgiven. Mostly they were subtle, tasteful and dynamic and perfectly suited to Mr Cohen’s later-years voice, which must be almost an octave lower than when he first started out.

Particular standouts among the musicians were the organ player, playing a Hammond B3 through a Lesley speaker which sounded as can be imagined, gorgeous, and the main lead guitar player, always subtle, playing some brilliant real organic blues licks where appropriate on songs like The Future and notably on Anthem.

Supplementing the band at times was a musician playing mandolin, what looked to be a bouzouki and some beautiful acoustic flamenco flourishes at points during some of the songs. His playing in particular was something to behold, at times his posture and the way the stage light hit him made me think of photos I’d seen of Antonio Carlos Jobim. Cohen was enthralled by him and during a song would often kneel right by him watching him intently. During points such as this he would introduce the musician playing the part to an applauding audience, before much like in jazz music the solo was passed to the next musician followed by another introduction. Later in the night this became almost comical, as I’m sure he was aware, as he repeatedly introduced every band member on literally every other song. The charm and charisma of the man is enough to melt anyone’s heart.

Ever the raconteur Cohen’s stage patter was light and sparse and full of wit and wisdom and always perfectly timed. He played the poignant Democracy and never needed to mention the words George Bush or Iraq. His songs are timeless, outside of history and constant in their meaning because of this. Perhaps in that sense he is alone from his contemporaries apart from perhaps Dylan in being able to transcend time with his words which are far more concise and closer to poetry than any of the other traditional singer-songwriters who appeared at the same time. He may be part of the Tower of Song but he owns his sound unlike any other.

What may seem self evident to most only made itself clear to me during the show, which is how much Soul music has had an impact on Leonard Cohen. I really was hoping he might offer up a rendition of Be For Real from his album The Future. No matter how limited many may feel his voice to be with its cavernous hollows and ragged middle range, within that scope is an eternity of expression and wisdom, pertinent to the best blues, gospel or soul singers.
He played three full hours of music, with a short break before the second set to allow for a quick pint at the bar and a double whisky on the rocks. If I could recount how many special moments there were during the concert it would probably take three hours to explain.

Interestingly most of the material he offered up was from his later period and although most would note him for his more serious magical early songs than for his later more ironic synth-laden songs, it struck me how many great songs he has, how many of them I actually knew well and how consistently great his newer songs are even with the great classic body of work which precede them.

His rendition of Anthem was spellbinding, introducing it with a few short words including the memorable ‘there is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in’.

If there was one problem with the concert it was in the sheer force of the material, there literally was not a weak moment in the set except perhaps No Cure For Love which I felt started positively and then became a laboured word-play and rather dull musically. At a point during the second set Cohen picked up his guitar for the first time and the band slid into a glorious rendition of Bird on a Wire, enough to kill the cynicism in anyone. It was fascinating to see him playing the same guitar parts, note for note as he had played starting back in 1967 with the same care and same intensity to the point where it was almost superfluous to have the band playing behind him at all. In the short gap after playing Bird on a Wire I could hear Hey That’s No Way To Say Goodbye in my head and thought how nice it would be to hear him play it, no sooner had I paused the tape in my brain did he begin the chords to that song. What I found intriguing was that the older songs cause him to rely much more on his middle-range than his newer songs and it was gratifying to see he could still sing in that hauntingly angelic way, especially when towards the end of the night he offered up So Long Marianne to a cheering audiences delight.

In many ways the show was a religious experience. From memory I think there may have been six or seven encores, and where to many this may appear overly dramatic there was something graceful and honest in how he did it and the audience never ceased in their need to give him standing ovation after standing ovation.

Highlights for me, although to choose would be to reduce the impact of the show as a whole were Anthem, Suzanne, Hey That’s No Way To Say Goodbye, Tower of Song, I’m Your Man, Dance Me To The End of Love, Famous Blue Raincoat and an absolutely stunning Hallelujah which with passion and intensity grabbed the grit and power of that song back from the inferno of cover versions most clearly highlighted by the shaky, syrupy and overly-emotional hands of Jeff Buckley and brought it back to its proper place, done with a finesse and splendour only Cohen himself could express.

Thinking Cohen might treat Tower of Song to a spoken word performance in the way he performed it at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame earlier this year I was surprised to hear a more recent song, A Thousand Kisses Deep, given the treatment instead. I remember hearing that song and liked it vaguely even with the slightly corny arrangement, but its gravitas was restored upon hearing it alone - it truly blew my mind. The consistent thing no matter how good or bad an album may be or how an arrangement for a song may induce you to shrieking, his words are always a force to be reckoned with. Of course much of this has to do with the presence in his voice; there is a true timeless symbolism in Cohen’s voice which reaches right into the soul and right back through the ages.

Had I read it, I imagine at this point I would be recommending his published work, the Book of Longing. As a note to self I think in the coming weeks I might find myself in a bookstore flicking through its pages and then imagine myself at home devouring it by candlelight.

If this is indeed his last tour then it is fitting end to a brilliant career, as he said he was just a ‘kid with crazy ideas’, but he followed them with persistence and made the dream real. Thanks Leonard.
Every heart, every heart to love will come, but like a refugee.

http://www.myspace.com/trevgibb
phillip

Post by phillip »

That was a great report Gina I have been a fan for 20 years and have got all his books, albums etc... I was at the Manchester concert on Thursday 19th with my mum we had a great night, saw him in concert in 1993 too in London the man is a genius, read my report on the night it was awesome and a night I will never forget. Glad you had a good time so did I, so did everyone Leonard is great, the best, and my no.1 Hope he comes again, if not I am ever thankful to seeing him in concert twice in my lifetime I am contented in seeing him and Thankyou to Leonard :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Johnny F - The "1000 Kisses Deep" lyrics have been discussed elsewhere, but here's the link: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/kisses.html The lyrics first appeared in a video made on made on Mount Baldy, where Leonard sings them to a totally different tune using his keyboard,whilst wearing his monk's robes. Great version actually!

Gina - a no nonsense report from someone who was at Manchester every night. I've only managed seventeen shows in 38 years (including Tuesday Manchester) so no doubt you'll rapidly overtake me!

Phillip - you're right, Leonard is a true genius. Here's my own definition of genius: A genius is a person of exceptional mental or artistic talent, whose work is also innovatory. Of crucial importance to the "genie" factor, is their ability to tap into divine wisdom or collective truth and incorporate this into their work for the betterment of humanity (an "evil genius" would do the opposite). This in particular sets them apart for those who are merely great artists or thinkers. Part of a genius's journey often involves an initiation via a breakdown, health crisis or parental trauma, which indirectly steers them towards their true destiny. The word genius is often mis-applied to people with superior technical or physical skills, who may better be described as "wizards".

Trev: You're right too: Soul music has clearly had a big impact on Leonard. "Gavin Gates" in "Beautiful Losers" can easily be interpreted as a pseudonym for Marvin Gaye. Also, I believe it was Felicity Buirski who told me some years back that Leonard was going through his "Otis Redding" phase. The evidence is there on "Never Any Good"!

Love to all, John E

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”