CONCERT REPORTS: Manchester, UK (June 17, 18, 19 and 20)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
adex

Re: Manchester, UK (June 17-20)

Post by adex » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:52 pm

hey yentek, Neophyte and Mikeaus - thank you so much for your kind comments about the review i posted - i went to bed wondering if posting it was the right thing to do, but the welcome i've received here has been extremely heartening - what a lovely place :razz:

and Rachel - don't worry about not talking to Jarvis. i love his music, but i've met him a couple of times, and believe me, he's a tosser!

seeing people's photos from after the show on Tuesday, it makes me slightly aggrieved that i didn't stick around to meet some of the band. then again, it's probably for the best - i'd only have gushed i'm sure hehe

ade xxx
tanfield

Post by tanfield » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Hope that I am doing this right.
Pix of Manchester concert at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1887/2595381526/
AngloSaxon

Post by AngloSaxon » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:13 pm

Having been let down by the cancellation of the Berlin concert , I now consider myself extremely fortunate because I've now been to the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday concerts. I managed to get circle tickets for Tuesday and Thursday a few weeks ago. On Wednesday afternoon I couldn't believe it when I managed to get front row seats in the stalls, 28,29 Row A on Ticketmaster, I couldn't stop smiling.
I have to say that the Wednesday night performance was astonishing but I would do sitting in the front row! They were all fantastic and I'm only sorry I can't be there tonight.
I've taken the advice of this forum and eaten very well at the El Rincon and also Carluccio's restauraunt where It was a pleasant suprise to see most of the band. I'm glad they were left alone to enjoy their meal.
Thanks everyone, and for all the superb reviews, I still can't believe how good it was and that I was there to see it.
Manchester 17th, 18th, 19th June 2008
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:53 pm

I just have to mention how much fun it is to check for the set lists and reviews (both official and fan) each day. Having seen three of the concerts in Canada, it is interesting to see the continued development and change. But even more fun, is being able to live vicariously through the experiences of all those friends (some of whom we've met and most of whom we hope to meet). I loved Jorcx's Dublin review and could picture the tour to Sandy Cove and Joyce's Tower. Adex-well done! And, Hydriot-sounds like everyone had a great time.

Thanks so much everyone for bringing your experiences here!

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Tsdhav

Post by Tsdhav » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Friday afternoon in Norwich after Thursday night in Manchester. The sun is shining so I could get some work and go and sit outside. Naaah. Thought I'd just post here. I'm one of those who joined the files around the time the Guardian offer appeared. Opportunistic? I guess. But I have really enjoyed keeping up with the tour through the files.

I took my partner last night. She claims to only like happy music. But I suspect things may have changed because tears streamed down her cheeks now and then during the concert. As she said on the way back to the hotel - "I think he's been reading my diaries". Me? Feel really honoured to have been there to see a sprightly 73 year old LC run onto the stage. A few thoughts from the night:

1. How does he remember the lyrics!!!? I guess being a poet for all those years means he has a natural inclination towards that skill. But, man, those songs are not simple twelve bar blues lyrics . I'm twenty years younger than him and can't always remember the planet I'm on never mind over two and a half hours of complex lyrics.
2. How come his voice is so strong? Given that it was reduced to a whisper on Dear Heather how come it was so goooooooood last night. Has he been to the same clinics rumoured for Keith Richards and Mugabe? Is there a secret we should know and learn from? Is in on Mount Baldy? Or in the unmade bed in the Chelsea Hotel? Or is it all about keeping your heart the shape of a begging bowl? I was at the Albert Hall in 93 and 08 is at least as good as then. The overall performance was better last night than in 93. Hmmm... actually it was better than almost anything else I've heard since 1993 .... errr... maybe, when the dust settles, better than anything else....maybe not.
3. Did anyone not feel a chill during a thousand kisses deep? How about a video of LC sat reading his lyrics? There a lots of ways to recreate a great pension fund with very dignified product. (I speak as a marketing consultant). Dear Heather might work better this way than as a CD.
4. I learnt something new from the concert. The true importance of humility in a legend. Initially it was a bit boring to hear the constant band introductions. However by the end it all made sense. That band and crew make Mr Cohen look really really good. The overall sound is the perfect vehicle for LC. It must feel great to be in front of it and anyone with any humilty just would not be able to stop themselves drawing the audience's attention to it.
5. Highlights? No, for me it was constant pleasure from start to finish. Professional to the nth degree but as human and soulful as it could be. Having said that both my partner and I talked more about Boogie Street than anything. I know we didn't get Famous Blue Raincoat last night and I'd be interested to know how well it fitted earlier in the week. Personally I like the song but it is dated and a bit odd for a 73 year old man to sing convincingly (go on, tell me he did sing it convincingly earlier in the week!). I grew up with the older songs but many of the latter songs are clearly at least as good or superior.
6. Is the "definition of sensual" LC looking at Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters and imploring them "Don't stop... Don't stop". He may ache where he used to play but LC still has spiritual sexual charm.
7. The boy with a dream has finally come of age. Let's hope he still needs to chase new dreams. But if not, he's done enough and deserves a long and happy retirement. I salute you Mr Cohen. And will be reporting again for duty in Edinburgh and London.

Terry
Feelin' good
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Me and young Albert, here -------------->

have searched everywhere!!! and can we find "an instrument of wind"?

can we hell as like. ;-)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Jeremy

Manchester, UK (June 17-20)

Post by Jeremy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Tsdhav wrote:Friday afternoon in Norwich after Thursday night in Manchester. The sun is shining so I could get some work and go and sit outside. Naaah. Thought I'd just post here. I'm one of those who joined the files around the time the Guardian offer appeared. Opportunistic? I guess. But I have really enjoyed keeping up with the tour through the files.

I took my partner last night. She claims to only like happy music. But I suspect things may have changed because tears streamed down her cheeks now and then during the concert. As she said on the way back to the hotel - "I think he's been reading my diaries". Me? Feel really honoured to have been there to see a sprightly 73 year old LC run onto the stage. A few thoughts from the night:

1. How does he remember the lyrics!!!? I guess being a poet for all those years means he has a natural inclination towards that skill. But, man, those songs are not simple twelve bar blues lyrics . I'm twenty years younger than him and can't always remember the planet I'm on never mind over two and a half hours of complex lyrics.
2. How come his voice is so strong? Given that it was reduced to a whisper on Dear Heather how come it was so goooooooood last night. Has he been to the same clinics rumoured for Keith Richards and Mugabe? Is there a secret we should know and learn from? Is in on Mount Baldy? Or in the unmade bed in the Chelsea Hotel? Or is it all about keeping your heart the shape of a begging bowl? I was at the Albert Hall in 93 and 08 is at least as good as then. The overall performance was better last night than in 93. Hmmm... actually it was better than almost anything else I've heard since 1993 .... errr... maybe, when the dust settles, better than anything else....maybe not.
3. Did anyone not feel a chill during a thousand kisses deep? How about a video of LC sat reading his lyrics? There a lots of ways to recreate a great pension fund with very dignified product. (I speak as a marketing consultant). Dear Heather might work better this way than as a CD.
4. I learnt something new from the concert. The true importance of humility in a legend. Initially it was a bit boring to hear the constant band introductions. However by the end it all made sense. That band and crew make Mr Cohen look really really good. The overall sound is the perfect vehicle for LC. It must feel great to be in front of it and anyone with any humilty just would not be able to stop themselves drawing the audience's attention to it.
5. Highlights? No, for me it was constant pleasure from start to finish. Professional to the nth degree but as human and soulful as it could be. Having said that both my partner and I talked more about Boogie Street than anything. I know we didn't get Famous Blue Raincoat last night and I'd be interested to know how well it fitted earlier in the week. Personally I like the song but it is dated and a bit odd for a 73 year old man to sing convincingly (go on, tell me he did sing it convincingly earlier in the week!). I grew up with the older songs but many of the latter songs are clearly at least as good or superior.
6. Is the "definition of sensual" LC looking at Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters and imploring them "Don't stop... Don't stop". He may ache where he used to play but LC still has spiritual sexual charm.
7. The boy with a dream has finally come of age. Let's hope he still needs to chase new dreams. But if not, he's done enough and deserves a long and happy retirement. I salute you Mr Cohen. And will be reporting again for duty in Edinburgh and London.

Terry
Feelin' good
Nicely done, Terry. Also there on Thursday night and the experience was everything I, and my partner, had hoped for (much, much more). If I we didn't have tickets for Edinburgh, I suspect we'd be looking at the razor blade counter today....

A lot has already been written here about the Manchester concerts, so I will not say much now, except that I was genuinely baffled by newbie Brodharley's comments on page seven of this thread - just goes to show how easy it is to be in the same place and have a different experience! We were in the gallery on Thursday and the atmos was simply wonderful; dense, rich and grateful. I only hope it's not the best concert I've ever been to, because Edinburgh, and beyond, still beckon, but if it was, what a good best concert it was.....
Maarten

Post by Maarten » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Hi,

A few short movie clips of the Manchester, June 17th show can be downloaded here:

File 1:
File Name: Manchester June 17th 2008 - LC - Who By Fire.MOV
File Size: 23 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/d08zmh

File 2:
File Name: Manchester June 17th 2008 - Javier Mas (pt.2).MOV
File Size: 24 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/htgyt3

File 3:
File Name: Manchester June 17th 2008 - Javier Mas (pt.1).MOV
File Size: 16 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/75mr85

File 4:
File Name: Manchester June 17th 2008 - LC - Suzanne (pt.2).MOV
File Size: 19 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/tvl9lw

File 5:
File Name: Manchester June 17th 2008 - LC - Suzanne (pt.1).MOV
File Size: 46 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4oeyzr

Enjoy!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Christopher B

Post by Christopher B » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:45 am

Manchester June 18th. In a comparatively intimate setting the experience of a lifetime. I went with a friend, both devotees for the past 40 years and 20 years since we saw him at the Royal Albert Hall. From beginning to end Leonard was in total command, his voice getting stronger as the performance went on. He was utterly magnificent with the most superb support. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by anything he does but the power and quality of his voice was amazing. He has recently said that he is more at ease these days and what pleased me was that it seemed obvious that he was enjoying himself and the ecstatic audience reaction. I've never been to a concert and experienced either the intensity of performance or appreciation. Both the "Thousand Kisses Deep" recital and "If It Be You Will" left me trying to hold back the tears. Lets hope that one day he will record "The Book of Longing". And to end "Famous Blue Raincoat". I could go on and on but will spare you. I left emotionally drained and physically exhausted and some 2 days after still feel much the same.

We were lucky enough to bump into Leonard at the hotel fruit and cereal breakfast counter the following day and after shaking his hand mumbled our inadequate appreciation of his incredible performance. He thanked us and in reply to my friends question as the how he had the energy to give that performance (three hours 5 minutes less the interval) he said that it was because he had enjoyed it. He was reserved and very gracious. Having seen, heard and now met my lifetime hero I'm wondering what else there is to look forward to. Any ideas? Oh yes, Edinburgh! I can't but will have to wait.
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:50 am

funny anecdote from tuesday in Manchester:
Lady sitting next to me told me this:
"on tuesday in Manchester she was shopping in town, saw a large crowd surrounding a limousine, she hoped it was Leonard so she pushed herself to the front, only to see it was Sting !
She walked away disappointed ! Fantastic :D
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
secretchord

Post by secretchord » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:37 am

been to the show this evening, hard to find words to describe it, lots of people find lots of words but I'm struggling even though I feel I want to say something

all sorts of things going on: Leonard was here, now he's gone, I feel bereft; Famous Blue Raincoat was the end of me, I was in tears, can't really believe I was there to hear/see/witness Leonard doing that, even after all that had gone before, including the tuesday show, for me that took the whole thing to a new level

Leonard lulls you into that false sense of peace and relaxation, everything is so beautiful and dreamlike and then he just reaches into your heart and pulls everything out into the open, whether you like it or not

how does he do it?

and people are talking about Dylan?

Leonard is from God as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not saying that for effect or hyperbole, me I mean it literally, he is the greatest gift to the cause of humanity that has been seen for several centuries at least

thank you so much Leonard, I love you, you are my teacher and my guide, my inspiration and, as you have told us all this week, my friend
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
sirius

Post by sirius » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:45 am

The Stone Mind

Hogen, a Chinese Zen teacher, lived alone in a small temple in the country. One
day four traveling monks appeared and asked if they might make a fire in his
yard to warm themselves.

While they were building the fire, Hogen heard them arguing about subjectivity
and objectivity. He joined them and said: "There is a big stone. Do you
consider it to be inside or outside your mind?"

One of the monks replied: "From the Buddhist viewpoint everything is an
objectification of mind, so I would say that the stone is inside my mind."

"Your head must feel very heavy," observed Hogen, "if you are carrying around a
stone like that in your mind."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stop carrying Leonard around in your minds............

Let him go!

LIke a Bird on the Wire
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
yhtrownu

Post by yhtrownu » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:00 am

sirius, I think your story of the stone mind assumes every mind is similar. I mean, Stephen Fry's mind is different from Jade Goody's mind is different from Jeremy Paxman's mind, I should suppose. Some things are genetic, maybe. My mind was heavy like a stone for as long as I can remember, and Leonard's poetry and music lifted the stone out of it. He's my counterweight. :)

secretchord, glad you're floating on those instruments of wind, and the rest. . . Any word on how the Friday setlist was different or similar to previous Manchester setlists? :)
Manchester, June 18 2008
Manchester, June 19 2008
London O2, July 17 2008
London O2, November 14 2008
Royal Albert Hall, November 17 2008
Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge, July 11 2009
secretchord

Post by secretchord » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:23 am

no wonder Hogen lived alone

someone as pedantic and literalistic as that would p*** everybody right off
...that David played and it pleased the Lord...

http://www.myspace.com/morrinmusic
asta

Re: Manchester, UK (June 17-20) The Webb Sisters

Post by asta » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 am

I just found The ("sublime" - LC) Webb Sisters in a different vibe. http://www.youtube.com - type in webb sisters - behind the scenes - wonderful.
I hope they record If it be your Will. Asta

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”