Songs you wished he did!

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
cococrisp

Songs you wished he did!

Post by cococrisp »

As I've read most have been happy with the tour so far (I thought he was amazing for a 70 + year old). My only beef with the earlier "warm up gigs" in Canada was that most of the songs I heard were from "Various Positions" and after. Anybody else somewhat dissapointed about the lack of older stuff?
Yaanon

Re: Songs you wished he did!

Post by Yaanon »

Right now I am hoping that "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye" becomes a regular addition to the setlist. He sang it once and then dropped it, and it's one of my favorites. Hopefully he sings it again, say on June 25th in Montreal...>.>

Also I had my fingers crossed for "Tonight Will Be Fine" but I've all but given up on that one.
Montreal June 25th 2008| Coachella April 17th 2009| Las Vegas November 12th 2009
cococrisp

Post by cococrisp »

From what I've heard I'm pretty sure his original T.O. set list will be the final.
Darling

Post by Darling »

No disappointment whatsoever, the show is so great! :D
And we were blessed with HTNWTSG in Saguenay!
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Yellow River hasn't cropped up. Disappointing! :lol:
Bartleby

Re: The sparse, haunting ones are the best!

Post by Bartleby »

Just back from 5 concerts in Dublin and Manchester. Glastonbury on the TV to look forward to this weekend and then the 02. Fantastic.

In Manchester Leonard played more of his older songs - Sisters of Mercy, Marianne, Hey that's no way to say Goodbye and best of all, just when I was expecting the final encore on Friday night, Famous Blue Raincoat, one of my all time favourite songs.

Like Cococrisp I'm fond of Leonard's earlier songs, especially the sparse, haunting ones. Singing about Democracy in the USA is all very well but isn't the quintessence of Leonard simply a song about a man and a woman in a room? So whilst the present concerts have been amazing it'd be nice to see Chelsea Hotel, Avalanche, Nancy or the Stranger Song on future set lists.
Those who earnestly are lost
Are lost and lost again

1989: Hydra; 1993: Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2008: Dublin x 3; Manchester Opera House x 2; London O2; Royal Albert Hall x 2; 2009: Dublin 02 x 2; 2010: Sligo x 2; 2012: Dublin x 2; 2013: London O2; Dublin x 2; 2014: Dublin meet up
confetti

Post by confetti »

on a local music forum there was a post from a guy that said the concert was great but as the author only knew his early stuff was most disappointed that there was not more of it. The answer was "I am very relieved I didn't bother with this in that case...I mean, come on. Given that he didn't even want to do the bloody shows in the first place, you'd think he would at least play what the people want. It's not like he's doing it out of a desperate urge to prove his contemporary relevance."
I was a little cross :(
I was very pleased with what I heard but i would like to have been on one of the nights when he sang so long marianne. I am going to try my best to go again some time before the end of the tour.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
tiggs

Post by tiggs »

Except for die hard Cohen fans of which I will admit to being a fully paid up member, has everyone judged the mood of non cohenites completely wrong.
Everyone I have met since the gig have asked me did he do..... and then the list goes on and its really surprising, because I work mostly with bands ranging in age from 16 - 24....
They say did he do, The partisan, Chelsea Hotel, Field Commander Cohen , Joan of ark, Avalanche, story of Isaac
Most surprising of all a young bass player in an industrial goth band last night asked me if he did Please don't pass me by, as it was the greatest song he had ever heard, and had made him get into writing music. I could have hugged him :)

I just think that its fantastic that his influence is still alive in new music and young people realise that hes not the guy who did that jeff buckley song :)
riddler

Post by riddler »

don't go home with your hard on! :lol:
pellen

Post by pellen »

I just got back from his three hour gig at Place des Arts in Mtl and am not disappointed one bit. I love so many songs that I couldn't expect him to play every one of them, but he almost did. I would have loved to hear Chelsea Hotel and Famous Blue Raincoat, but I got Take This Waltz, In My Secret Life, Anthem, Sisters of Mercy, Suzanne, Hallelujah... the list goes on. And a bone-chillingly beautiful version of If It Be Your Will. Best concert I've ever seen.
scorpio1952

Post by scorpio1952 »

He did them! :) Well almost!!!

Couldn't have expected any more during a packed 3 hour show. The best from the past, & the best from The Future! I'm still smiling from the Manchester concerts. :D

I still remember the events of the day I first heard 'Songs', & that was 40 years ago! Can't say that about any other music.

Thank you, Leonard, for all those years.
Life is what happens to us while we are busy making other plans.
maurice

Post by maurice »

Tonight will Be Fine. I would be more than happy with every song from Songs from a Room, which is still my favourite Cohen-album.

Also would like to hear some songs from Dear Heather, especially Go No More A-Roving, Morning Glory en On That Day.

Still praying for Paper Thin Hotel and I Left Woman Waiting. I don't think he will play anything from Death of a Ladies' Man.
You know who I am...

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”