A plea to audiences

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mabeanie1

Re: A plea to audiences

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 pm

jondi wrote:It is a gig not and audience with god
It's as good as so far as I am concerned. Actually, what struck me more than anything else in the Maritimes was the rapt and reverential way the audience hung on to every single word and note. Of course there were cheers and calls from the audience but you could have heard a pin drop many times during the course of the show. I will be sorry if this has been lost as the shows move to bigger and bigger venues where there are likely to be more people just there to say that they have seen LC before they dismiss him as "too depressing".

W
Paula

Post by Paula » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:29 pm

That jouralist's review should be written in big bold letters at the venues. He hit the nail on the head totally.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:25 pm

[quote="osmachar"]from the article:
"...Next time you go to a show featuring someone truly great, try this: Sit your ass in your chair and just listen. Be. Enjoy. I know this may be difficult for you to understand, but it will all still have happened even if you don't obsessively photograph it. And if you don't leave with 100 grainy pictures of an old man wearing a hat, your evening – and not unimportanTly, mine – will have been better for it. "

Amen amen amen!!!!
jondi

Post by jondi » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:13 pm

Sorry to disappoint those who need someone in front or next or behind to hate but I typically don't do anything except rapt concentration so you may find me difficult to identify without my six pints of plain, whatever that is, BUT I hate having behaviours rammed into my mouth by others. Carry on please with my demonisation, I'm sure I deserve to be judged by total strangers, why not refer to the cover of Songs of Love and Hate and ponder
stan

Post by stan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 pm

HI
Hope ya not sitting next to me cos i scream my head off.
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
Paula

Post by Paula » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:26 am

Stan I know just the person who would welcome sitting next to you.

"They locked up a man who wanted to rule the world. The fools they locked up the wrong man"

Jondi can you not see that your attitude is exactly the same. You want to impose your will on others. Or do you just think it is you that is right and we that are wrong. And what we really wanted to hear at the concert was your voice.

I will come equipped with stink bombs (I have no sense of smell so they would not annoy or disturb me) you can sit next to me you can scream and I will let off stink bombs.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:10 am

I will come equipped with stink bombs (I have no sense of smell so they would not annoy or disturb me) you can sit next to me you can scream and I will let off stink bombs.
Paula
You are being far too nice.
If anybody, male or female, starts whoopin' and screaming anywhere near me they will first get a polite verbal warning and if that doesn't work then I will revert to the tried and tested Liverpool solution, and give them a smack in the gob.
It's worked before and I'm sure it will work again.
Just as a matter of interest what nights are you going and what are your seat numbers Stan and Jondi

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
stan

Post by stan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 am

Hey! you lot.
Sing another song, this one has grown old and bitter.
stan

Post by stan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:56 am

Hi Paula
They locked up a man? they locked up the wrong man? that is just two peoples opinion, yours and i cant remember the other person.
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:37 pm

I have said this before - as a compromise:

Screech and whoop if you must, but ONLY BETWEEN songs and NOT DURING songs. And give a little bit of thought to how your own actions affect others please.

All happy now?
ms.blue

Post by ms.blue » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi stan/all !!!! There was little me thinking I was going to have a brilliant night!! Looks like my breakaway training may come in handy after all.... cant see what all the fuss is about live and let live I say... cant imagine any fans being too outrageous and perhaps anyone just there on a freebie will disappear at interval and we can all pick bests seats? Stick with me I am an expert on de-esculation techniques.. well maybe not expert but will give it my best shot without resorting to anything physical!!!
Am so excited nothing can spoil my anticipation or indeed my evening!!! :?
stan

Post by stan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 am

Hi ms Blue
You will be glad to hear that i am not a screamer,but after reading some remarks i felt that to many people are telling people what they can and cant do, if only they had your way of seeing things.
Not even a week left, i will proberbly be to amazed and excited to scream anyway, its a big night for everyone so let all enjoy without worrying what others might say even though im not a lover of screamers and some attitudes on this thread.
riddler

Post by riddler » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 am

not fair!
I had my glow sticks, a big LEONARD GET YOUR COCK OUT!! banner, a box of chocolates, a cuddly toy for him and I was ready to scream/shout I LOVE YOU LEONARD!
(you've all made me out to be quite the fool!)
rhona

Post by rhona » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Riddler - lol

God blimey people! Get a grip! I'm going on Friday as well and I'm really glad that I don't so get wound up about this sort of thing. I've looked forward to this for 20 years - very big deal for all of us, but you know... live and let live a bit!!!

I cannot believe some of the bitter and slightly nasty edge to posts on these boards - completely inappropriate and quite depressing.

I'm very quiet by nature, and so won't be doing the screaming/tossing homemade Leonard dolls/weeping on the floor thing myself, but really won't give two hoots if someone else does! I actually think it's kind of nice to see people celebrate and appreciate in different ways. I suspect I may feel gently, mildly irritated by the holier-than-thou/cut-me-and-I-bleed-Leonard/my-devoted-obsession's-better-than-yours that will inevitably be there, but I'm not going to threaten to "slap that irritating look off your face."

I actually hope that any poor sod who dares to raise his voice in a moment of happiness and enjoyment is sitting next to me and not some of you!
Oh bless the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh

2008 Manchester Opera House
2008 Clyde Auditorium/SECC Glasgow
2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Trust me Rhona,
if you have someone behind you who thinks he/she is a better singer of Leonard songs than Leonard you'll be truly pissed off ;-)

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”